Lyndy Joy McGaw
Affiliation: University of Pretoria
Country: South Africa
- Mehrbod P, Abdalla M, Njoya E, Ahmed A, Fotouhi F, Farahmand B, et al. South African medicinal plant extracts active against influenza A virus. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:112 pubmed publisher..However, Tabernaemontana ventricosa, Cussonia spicata and Clerodendrum glabrum leaf extracts were ineffective in vitro in this study. ..
- Makhafola T, Elgorashi E, McGaw L, Awouafack M, Verschaeve L, Eloff J. Isolation and characterization of the compounds responsible for the antimutagenic activity of Combretum microphyllum (Combretaceae) leaf extracts. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:446 pubmed publisher..The antimutagenic activity of arjunolic acid may, at least in part, be attributed to its antioxidant activity resulting in the detoxification of reactive oxygen species produced during mutagenesis. ..
- Olaokun O, McGaw L, Janse van Rensburg I, Eloff J, Naidoo V. Antidiabetic activity of the ethyl acetate fraction of Ficus lutea (Moraceae) leaf extract: comparison of an in vitro assay with an in vivo obese mouse model. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2016;16:110 pubmed publisher..This is linked to increased glucose uptake within the cells, the most likely mechanism is either an increased insulin response or increased insulin secretion. ..
- Elisha I, Botha F, Madikizela B, McGaw L, Eloff J. Acetone leaf extracts of some South African trees with high activity against Escherichia coli also have good antimycobacterial activity and selectivity index. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:327 pubmed publisher..It may be interesting to investigate extracts against pathogenic M. tuberculosis, M. bovis and M. avium cultures and to isolate active antimycobacterial compounds. ..
- Elisha I, Botha F, McGaw L, Eloff J. The antibacterial activity of extracts of nine plant species with good activity against Escherichia coli against five other bacteria and cytotoxicity of extracts. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:133 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is in progress on C. triflora and H. roeperianum, both of which had promising activities and potential safety based on cytotoxicity. ..
- Elisha I, Jambalang A, Botha F, Buys E, McGaw L, Eloff J. Potency and selectivity indices of acetone leaf extracts of nine selected South African trees against six opportunistic Enterobacteriaceae isolates from commercial chicken eggs. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:90 pubmed publisher..triflora extracts suggests that the plant has potential as a therapeutic agent against some members of the Enterobacteriaceae. Further pharmacological investigations may be interesting in the search for new antimicrobial leads. ..
- Olaokun O, McGaw L, Eloff J, Naidoo V. Evaluation of the inhibition of carbohydrate hydrolysing enzymes, antioxidant activity and polyphenolic content of extracts of ten African Ficus species (Moraceae) used traditionally to treat diabetes. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:94 pubmed publisher..Research is underway to isolate the active compound(s) responsible for the antidiabetic activity and to confirm the in vitro antidiabetic activity and to investigate in vitro toxicity. ..
- Dzoyem J, McGaw L, Eloff J. In vitro antibacterial, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of acetone leaf extracts of nine under-investigated Fabaceae tree species leads to potentially useful extracts in animal health and productivity. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014;14:147 pubmed publisher..These species are therefore promising candidates for the development of useful antimicrobial/antioxidant preparations with a low cytotoxicity that may be useful in promoting animal health and productivity. ..
- Madikizela B, McGaw L. Pittosporum viridiflorum Sims (Pittosporaceae): A review on a useful medicinal plant native to South Africa and tropical Africa. J Ethnopharmacol. 2017;205:217-230 pubmed publisher..viridiflorum gives credence to the use of this plant species against various diseases in ATM, thus steering significant interest towards in vivo studies and further research. ..
- McGaw L, Lall N, Meyer J, Eloff J. The potential of South African plants against Mycobacterium infections. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;119:482-500 pubmed publisher..Many plants are used locally in traditional medicine to treat TB-related symptoms...
- McGaw L, Lall N, Hlokwe T, Michel A, Meyer J, Eloff J. Purified compounds and extracts from Euclea species with antimycobacterial activity against Mycobacterium bovis and fast-growing mycobacteria. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:1429-33 pubmed..M. smegmatis appeared to be a better predictor of antimycobacterial activity against pathogenic M. bovis (and M. tuberculosis), while MIC values obtained using M. fortuitum correlated well with those of M. bovis BCG...