Heather B Jaspan
Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- Inclusion of adolescents in preventive HIV vaccine trials: public health policy and research design at a crossroadsHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, University of Cape Town, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 47:86-92. 2008..This article examines these issues and proposes specific next steps to facilitate the routine inclusion of this high-priority population in preventive HIV vaccine trials as early and seamlessly as possible...
- Brief report: methods for collecting sexual behaviour information from South African adolescents--a comparison of paper versus personal digital assistant questionnairesHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town Faculty of Health Sciences, PO Box 13801 Mowbray 7705, South Africa
J Adolesc 30:353-9. 2007..Subjectively, adolescents found the use of PDA to be simple and confidential. PDA may be a useful method to collect sensitive, self-reported information from adolescents in resource-limited settings...
- Adolescent HIV prevalence, sexual risk, and willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trialsHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Adolesc Health 39:642-8. 2006..To determine human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence, sexual risk behaviors, and attitudes toward HIV vaccine trials among 11-19 year-olds in a peri-urban community near Cape Town, South Africa...
- Community perspectives on the ethical issues surrounding adolescent HIV vaccine trials in South AfricaHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Vaccine 26:5679-83. 2008..In general, ethical adolescent HIV vaccine trials will be feasible in this community...
- Sexual health, HIV risk, and retention in an adolescent HIV-prevention trial preparatory cohortHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Adolesc Health 49:42-6. 2011..Although adolescents are at high risk for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, they have not been, included in HIV vaccine trials...
- Bacterial disease and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns in HIV-infected, hospitalized children: a retrospective cohort studyHeather B Jaspan
University of Cape Town School of Child and Adolescent Health, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 3:e3260. 2008..The use of antibiotic prophylaxis and the emergence of multi-drug resistant bacteria necessitate examination of responsible organisms and their antibiotic susceptibility...
- Two-year outcomes of children on non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor and protease inhibitor regimens in a South African pediatric antiretroviral programHeather B Jaspan
School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:993-8. 2008..Few data exist on the efficacy of the limited regimens for children with HIV, which are available in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Scientific justification for the participation of children and adolescents in HIV-1 vaccine trials in South AfricaHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, University of Cape Town, South Africa
S Afr Med J 95:685-7. 2005
- Effect of caregivers' depression and alcohol use on child antiretroviral adherence in South AfricaHeather B Jaspan
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:595-600. 2011..99). Pediatric adherence is affected by caregiver alcohol use, but caregiver relationship to the child is most important. This small study suggests that interventions should aim to keep mothers healthy and alive, as well as alcohol-free...
- The role of polyclonal intravenous immunoglobulin in treating HIV-infected children with severe bacterial infections: a retrospective cohort studyLyen C Huang
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 8:127. 2008..We examined the impact of IVIG as an adjuvant therapy in reducing mortality and length of hospital stay in HIV-infected children with serious bacterial infections...
- Intra- and inter-clade cross-reactivity by HIV-1 Gag specific T-cells reveals exclusive and commonly targeted regions: implications for current vaccine trialsLycias Zembe
Division of Medical Virology, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 6:e26096. 2011....
- Immune activation in the female genital tract during HIV infection predicts mucosal CD4 depletion and HIV sheddingHeather B Jaspan
Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Cape Town, South Africa
J Infect Dis 204:1550-6. 2011..These data suggest that the presence of high frequencies of activated T cells in the female genital mucosa during HIV infection facilitates both local HIV shedding and CD4 T-cell depletion...
- The maturing immune system: implications for development and testing HIV-1 vaccines for children and adolescentsHeather B Jaspan
AIDS 20:483-94. 2006
- Amniotic fluid has higher relative levels of lentivirus-specific antibodies than plasma and can contain neutralizing antibodiesHeather B Jaspan
Interdisciplinary Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology, Tulane University School of Medicine, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Clin Virol 31:190-7. 2004..Natural protective mechanisms involving lentivirus-specific antibodies may therefore exist to limit in utero transmission of lentiviruses...
- Preventing neonatal HIV: a reviewHeather B Jaspan
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70119, USA
Curr HIV Res 1:321-7. 2003..However, post-natal transmission via breast milk remains a major challenge. As we continue to find cost-effective answers to protect infants worldwide, the search for a HIV-1 vaccine continues...
- Quantitative competitive reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction is not a useful method for quantification of CD4 and CD8 cell status during HIV infectionHeather B Jaspan
Interdisciplinary Program in Molecular and Cellular Biology Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Negat Results Biomed 2:2. 2003..Such a method would also be useful in assessing the immune status of patients retrospectively...
- Expression of granzyme B mRNA is altered in human immunodeficiency virus infected patientsHeather B Jaspan
Molecular and Cellular Biology Program, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 74:13-6. 2003..Cell-mediated cytotoxicity during HIV-1 infection may be impaired due to a deficient quantity of active cytotoxic granules or to their abnormal regulation...