Michael F M James
Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- Place of the colloids in fluid resuscitation of the traumatized patientMichael F M James
University of Cape Town, Groote Schuur Hospital, Western Cape, South Africa
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 25:248-52. 2012..The examination of the recent literature aimed at analysing the most recent data that could affect decisions regarding the use of colloids in trauma resuscitation...
- A balanced view of balanced solutionsBertrand Guidet
INSERM, Unité de Recherche en Épidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation U707, Paris F 75012, France
Crit Care 14:325. 2010....
- Pro: hydroxyethyl starch is preferable to albumin in the perioperative management of cardiac patientsMichael F M James
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22:482-4. 2008
- The role of tetrastarches for volume replacement in the perioperative settingMichael F M James
Department of Anaesthesia, UCT Faculty of Health Sciences, Cape Town, South Africa
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:674-8. 2008....
- Resuscitation with hydroxyethyl starch improves renal function and lactate clearance in penetrating trauma in a randomized controlled study: the FIRST trial (Fluids in Resuscitation of Severe Trauma)M F M James
Department of Anaesthesia, Groote Schuur Hospital and Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Observatory, Cape Town, Western Cape 7925, South Africa
Br J Anaesth 107:693-702. 2011..We compared resuscitation with 0.9% saline vs hydroxyethyl starch, HES 130/0.4, in severe trauma with respect to resuscitation, fluid volume, gastrointestinal recovery, renal function, and blood product requirements...
- Dose-response relationship between plasma ionized calcium concentration and thrombelastographyMichael F M James
Department of Anaesthesia, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 18:581-6. 2004..To establish the threshold value for calcium at which coagulation commenced and to investigate the range over which changes in ionized calcium influenced coagulation...
- The coagulation changes induced by rapid in vivo crystalloid infusion are attenuated when magnesium is kept at the upper limit of normalThomas G Ruttmann
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Cape Town Medical School, Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
Anesth Analg 104:1475-80, table of contents. 2007..Altered serum magnesium may play a role in the balance of coagulation. In this in vivo study we investigated the coagulation response to rapid hemodilution when serum magnesium is maintained or partially increased...
- A head-to-head comparison of the in vitro coagulation effects of saline-based and balanced electrolyte crystalloid and colloid intravenous fluidsAnthony M Roche
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1274-9. 2006....
- Calcium supplementation of saline-based colloids does not produce equivalent coagulation profiles to similarly balanced salt preparationsAnthony M Roche
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 20:807-11. 2006..The primary objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that calcium alone does not account for the observed coagulation differences between saline-based and balanced electrolyte IV fluid preparations...