J M Heckmann
Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- The characteristics of juvenile myasthenia gravis among South AfricansJeannine M Heckmann
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital
S Afr Med J 102:532-6. 2012..To report the characteristics of juvenile-onset (<20 years) myasthenia gravis (MG) in Africa...
- A single-blinded trial of methotrexate versus azathioprine as steroid-sparing agents in generalized myasthenia gravisJeannine M Heckmann
Department of Medicine, Division of Neurology, University of Cape Town, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925, South Africa
BMC Neurol 11:97. 2011..We evaluated the steroid-sparing efficacy of MTX (17.5 mg weekly) compared with AZA (2.5 mg/kg daily) in subjects recently diagnosed with generalized MG by assessing their average monthly prednisone requirements...
- Polymyositis in African HIV-infected subjectsJ M Heckmann
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, South Africa
Neuromuscul Disord 20:735-9. 2010....
- Beware of 'normal' creatine kinase levels in HIV-associated polymyositisC Kenyon
University of Cape Town
S Afr Med J 100:156-7. 2010..However, muscle inflammation can be associated with normal or near-normal CK levels. We report 4 cases of HIV-associated polymyositis in which the diagnosis was almost missed owing to the absence of raised CK levels...
- A functional SNP in the regulatory region of the decay-accelerating factor gene associates with extraocular muscle pareses in myasthenia gravisJ M Heckmann
Neurology Research Group, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Genes Immun 11:1-10. 2010..Susceptible individuals may benefit from anti-complement therapy in addition to immunosuppression...
- Incidence of seropositive myasthenia gravis in Cape Town and South AfricaK J Bateman
Division of Neurology, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town
S Afr Med J 97:959-62. 2007..In the developed world the incidence of MG has increased, particularly among older individuals, but no epidemiological studies have been done on SPMG in Africa...
- Myasthenia gravis in South Africans: racial differences in clinical manifestationsJ M Heckmann
Division of Neurology, E8 74, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town Observatory, 7925, South Africa
Neuromuscul Disord 17:929-34. 2007..The racial variation in some phenotypic features of myasthenia gravis and outcome to therapy, highlights the need to study biological factors in different subgroups to develop a more rational approach to immuno-suppressive therapy...
- Association of transforming growth factor β-1 (TGFB1) regulatory region polymorphisms with myasthenia gravis-related ophthalmoparesisM V Akinyi
Neurology Research Group, Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Cape Town 7925, South Africa
J Neuroimmunol 246:96-9. 2012....
- Predictive testing for Huntington disease in a developing countryM J Futter
Division of Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Observatory, South Africa
Clin Genet 75:92-7. 2009..Strategies to address these aspects have been incorporated into the program and will be reassessed after 1 year...
- Polyneuropathy, anti-tuberculosis treatment and the role of pyridoxine in the HIV/AIDS era: a systematic reviewJ J Van der Watt
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:722-8. 2011....