B S Eley
Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- The clinical and molecular spectrum of galactosemia in patients from the Cape Town region of South AfricaHoward Henderson
Department of Chemical Pathology and School of Child and Adolescent Health, Red Cross Children s Hospital, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Pediatr 2:7. 2002..The objective of this study was to document the clinical, laboratory and genetic features of galactosemia in patients from the Cape Town metropolitan region...
- X-linked hyper IgM (HIGM1) in an African kindred: the first report from South AfricaSandra Pienaar
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health and the School of Adolescent Health, Red Cross Children s Hospital, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Pediatr 3:12. 2003..The objective of this study was to describe the clinical and molecular features of the first South African family with X-linked hyper-IgM syndrome (HIGM1)...
- Addressing the paediatric HIV epidemic: a perspective from the Western Cape Region of South AfricaBrian Eley
Red Cross Children s Hospital and the School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, Klipfontein Road, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:19-23. 2006..Developments over the next few years will determine whether these challenges can be met...
- A prospective, cross-sectional study of anaemia and peripheral iron status in antiretroviral naïve, HIV-1 infected children in Cape Town, South AfricaBrian S Eley
School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town and Red Cross Children s Hospital, Private Bag, Rondebosch, 7700, South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 2:3. 2002..This study describes the relationship between paediatric HIV infection and anaemia, and documents the peripheral iron status of antiretroviral naive, HIV-infected children...
- Growth and micronutrient disturbances in stable, HIV-infected children in Cape TownBrian S Eley
Departments of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Trop Paediatr 22:19-23. 2002..CRP was elevated in 53% but did not correlate with any of the micronutrient concentrations. Micronutrient deficiencies were more common and micronutrient concentrations lower in children over 24 months of age...
- HIV infection of undetermined origin during infancyB S Eley
School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa
J Paediatr Child Health 39:716-8. 2003..Attention should be given to practices that are unique to each clinical discipline...
- Antiretroviral therapy for children: challenges and opportunitiesBrian Eley
Red Cross Children s Hospital and School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Trop Paediatr 27:1-10. 2007..In this regard, the paper lists some important research questions that should be addressed...
- Antiretroviral treatment for childrenBrian Eley
Red Cross War Memorial Children s Hospital, Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa
S Afr Med J 96:988-93. 2006..To describe the response of children during their first year on highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Contextualising the paediatric HIV epidemic: a reviewB S Eley
Red Cross Children's Hospital, Rondebosch, 7701, Cape Town, South Africa
East Afr Med J 83:684-8. 2006..CONCLUSION: Political leaders, public health officials and fellow child health professionals are urged to redouble their efforts to reverse the magnitude of the paediatric epidemic in Africa...
- Bacterial infection in children with HIV: a prospective study from Cape Town, South AfricaA T Westwood
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Red Cross War Memorial Children s Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Ann Trop Paediatr 20:193-8. 2000..Blood culture appears to be a useful method of obtaining the microbiological information required to focus antibiotic therapy...
- High prevalence of subtherapeutic plasma concentrations of efavirenz in childrenYuan Ren
Pharmacokinetic Research Unit, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 45:133-6. 2007..In many settings, concentration-controlled dosing is not available. In this study, efavirenz plasma concentrations were evaluated in South African HIV-infected children receiving efavirenz-based antiretroviral treatment...
- Comparison of diagnostic criteria of tuberculous meningitis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected and uninfected childrenEsther M van der Weert
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:65-9. 2006..CONCLUSION: The diagnostic criteria for clinical diagnosis of TB meningitis apply to HIV-infected children. However, cranial CT findings in this group may be misleading and delay the diagnosis of TB meningitis...
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after initiation of highly active antiretroviral therapy in a child with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection: a case of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndromeJames J C Nuttall
Division of Paediatric Infectious Diseases, School of Child and Adolescent Health, School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:683-5. 2004..Rapid and sustained improvement followed a prolonged course of glucocorticosteroid therapy while continuing antiretrovirals...
- Effect of rifampicin on lopinavir pharmacokinetics in HIV-infected children with tuberculosisYuan Ren
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 47:566-9. 2008..We evaluated the effect of additional ritonavir on plasma lopinavir concentrations in HIV-infected children receiving rifampicin-based treatment for tuberculosis...