P D Carey
Affiliation: University of Stellenbosch
Country: South Africa
- SPECT imaging of body dysmorphic disorderPaul Carey
MRC Unit for Stress and Anxiety Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, P O Box 19063, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 16:357-9. 2004..Nevertheless, involvement of parietal regions is consistent with the characteristic altered body perception of BDD. These preliminary data highlight the need for further systematic functional imaging studies of this condition...
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) of anxiety disorders before and after treatment with citalopramPaul D Carey
MRC Unit on Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, 7505, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Psychiatry 4:30. 2004..This paper further examines the notion of overlap in the neurocircuitry of treatment and indeed treatment response across anxiety disorders with SSRI treatment...
- Escitalopram in obsessive-compulsive disorder: response of symptom dimensions to pharmacotherapyDan J Stein
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
CNS Spectr 13:492-8. 2008..The response of OCD symptom dimensions to 12 weeks of treatment with escitalopram or placebo was investigated...
- Risk indicators and psychopathology in traumatised children and adolescents with a history of sexual abusePaul D Carey
MRC Research Unit for Anxiety and Stress, Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town 7505, South Africa
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:93-8. 2008..Childhood sexual abuse (CSA) is widespread amongst South African (SA) children, yet data on risk factors and psychiatric consequences are limited and mixed...
- Quetiapine augmentation of SRIs in treatment refractory obsessive-compulsive disorder: a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study [ISRCTN83050762]Paul D Carey
MRC Research Unit on Anxiety Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Psychiatry 5:5. 2005..Quetiapine is generally well tolerated and previous open-label data has produced mixed results in OCD and additional controlled data is needed...
- Single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in obsessive-compulsive disorder before and after treatment with inositolP D Carey
MRC Research Unit for Anxiety and Stress Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 19:125-34. 2004..They may support the idea that inositol effects a clinical response through alternate neuronal circuitry to the SSRIs and may complement animal work proposing an overlapping but distinct mechanism of action...
- Gender differences in the prevalence of childhood sexual abuse and in the development of pediatric PTSDJ L Walker
MRC Unit on Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Arch Womens Ment Health 7:111-21. 2004..Further work is needed to explore the mechanisms that underlie these differences...
- Post-traumatic stress disorder in women: epidemiological and treatment issuesSoraya Seedat
Department of Psychiatry, MRC Unit on Anxiety and Stress Disorders, University of Stellenbosch, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
CNS Drugs 19:411-27. 2005..However, additional innovative treatments are needed for traumatised women and for female children/adolescents presenting with acute stress reactions and PTSD...
- Neuropsychological performance of South African treatment-naïve adolescents with alcohol dependenceHelen L Ferrett
Stellenbosch University, Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Psychiatry, Tygerberg, 7505 Cape Town, South Africa
Drug Alcohol Depend 110:8-14. 2010..Here, we compare cognitive functioning in adolescents with and without AD, who are free from comorbid disorders...
- Dopamine transporter binding in social anxiety disorder: the effect of treatment with escitalopramJ M Warwick
Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 27:151-8. 2012..This is consistent with previous work indicating decreased DAT binding in SAD, and increased DAT binding after SSRI administration...
- Trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in an urban Xhosa primary care population: prevalence, comorbidity, and service use patternsPaul D Carey
MRC Unit for Stress and Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, Cape Town, South Africa
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:230-6. 2003..In this population, trauma and PTSD were highly prevalent and associated with significant unidentified morbidity and comorbidity. Patients remain untreated for years in the current system of primary care consultations...
- White matter correlates of apathy in HIV-positive subjects: a diffusion tensor imaging studyJacqueline Hoare
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road Observatory, 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 22:313-20. 2010..Results of the study confirmed the hypothesis which anticipated changes associated with apathy in white matter tracts that relay through the medial prefrontal cortex...
- Beauty and the beast: Psychobiologic and evolutionary perspectives on body dysmorphic disorderDan J Stein
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cape Town, South Africa
CNS Spectr 11:419-22. 2006..Speculatively, disruptions in cognitive-affective processes relevant to judgements about physical beauty lead to BDD...
- Quetiapine addition in obsessive-compulsive disorder: is treatment outcome affected by type and dose of serotonin reuptake inhibitors?Damiaan Denys
The Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 61:412-4. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of type and dose of serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs) on treatment outcome in quetiapine addition trials for obsessive-compulsive disorder...