Affiliation: University of Cape Town
Country: South Africa
- Hall I, Fowler A, Gupta A, Tetzlaff K, Nivens M, Sarno M, et al. Efficacy of BI 671800, an oral CRTH2 antagonist, in poorly controlled asthma as sole controller and in the presence of inhaled corticosteroid treatment. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2015;32:37-44 pubmed publisher..37% (1.57%) for montelukast (p = 0.0050 and p = 0.0657, respectively). These findings suggest that BI 671800 is associated with a small improvement in FEV1 in symptomatic controller-naÃ¯ve asthma patients, and in patients on ICS. ..
- Bateman E, Rennard S, Barnes P, Dicpinigaitis P, Gosens R, Gross N, et al. Alternative mechanisms for tiotropium. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009;22:533-42 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes data from a variety of investigations that provide insights into possible mechanisms to account for the effects of tiotropium. The report summarizes the discussion on basic and clinical research in this field. ..
- Bateman E, Bleecker E, Lotvall J, Woodcock A, Forth R, Medley H, et al. Dose effect of once-daily fluticasone furoate in persistent asthma: a randomized trial. Respir Med. 2012;106:642-50 pubmed publisher..FF 50-200 ?g/day once daily in the evening demonstrated dose-related efficacy in asthma with 100-200 ?g appearing to be the optimal doses for further evaluation. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT00603382. ..
- Chervinsky P, Meltzer E, Busse W, Ohta K, Bardin P, BredenbrÃ¶ker D, et al. Roflumilast for asthma: Safety findings from a pooled analysis of ten clinical studies. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2015;35 Suppl:S28-34 pubmed publisher..This reflects the general safety profile reported previously in patients with COPD. All studies were funded by Takeda. Trial registration numbers available on ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT00073177, NCT00076076, NCT00163527. ..
- Bateman E, Goehring U, Richard F, Watz H. Roflumilast combined with montelukast versus montelukast alone as add-on treatment in patients with moderate-to-severe asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;138:142-149.e8 pubmed publisher..The combination of roflumilast with montelukast compared with montelukast alone improved lung function and asthma control in patients with moderate-to-severe asthma and deserves further study for this indication. ..
- Kerstjens H, Moroni Zentgraf P, Tashkin D, Dahl R, Paggiaro P, Vandewalker M, et al. Tiotropium improves lung function, exacerbation rate, and asthma control, independent of baseline characteristics including age, degree of airway obstruction, and allergic status. Respir Med. 2016;117:198-206 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov; numbers NCT00772538 and NCT00776984 URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Tashkin D, Bateman E, Jones P, Zubek V, Metzdorf N, Liu D, et al. Consistent improvement in health-related quality of life with tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Novel and conventional responder analyses. Respir Med. 2016;120:91-100 pubmed publisher..Tiotropium maintenance therapy significantly and consistently improved HRQoL in moderate-to-very severe COPD patients in a durable manner. These results may provide a benchmark for assessing benefits on HRQoL of other COPD treatments. ..
- Bateman E, Kornmann O, Ambery C, Norris V. Pharmacodynamics of GSK961081, a bi-functional molecule, in patients with COPD. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2013;26:581-7 pubmed publisher..GSK961081 demonstrated sustained bronchodilation similar to TIO + SAL, but with a more rapid onset, and was well tolerated at the tested doses. ..
- Bateman E, Reddel H, Eriksson G, Peterson S, Ostlund O, Sears M, et al. Overall asthma control: the relationship between current control and future risk. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;125:600-8, 608.e1-608.e6 pubmed publisher..Current control predicts future risk of instability and exacerbations. Budesonide/formoterol maintenance and reliever therapy reduces exacerbations versus comparators and achieves at least similar control. ..
- Amaral A, Patel J, Kato B, Obaseki D, Lawin H, Tan W, et al. Airflow Obstruction and Use of Solid Fuels for Cooking or Heating: BOLD Results. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Airflow obstruction assessed from post-bronchodilator spirometry was not associated with use of solid fuels for cooking or heating. ..
- Bateman E, Feldman G, Kilbride S, Brooks J, Mehta R, Harris S, et al. Efficacy and safety of the long-acting muscarinic antagonist GSK233705 delivered once daily in patients with COPD. Clin Respir J. 2012;6:248-57 pubmed publisher..All doses of GSK233705 demonstrated bronchodilatory activity and were well tolerated. Although the onset of bronchodilation was rapid, it was not sustained over 24 h making it unsuitable for once-daily dosing. ..
- Bateman E, Rabe K, Calverley P, Goehring U, Brose M, Bredenbroker D, et al. Roflumilast with long-acting ?2-agonists for COPD: influence of exacerbation history. Eur Respir J. 2011;38:553-60 pubmed publisher..No differences arose in adverse events between these subgroups. Roflumilast may be used to reduce exacerbations and improve dyspnoea and lung function, without increasing adverse events in COPD patients receiving concomitant LABAs. ..
- Bateman E, Guerreros A, Brockhaus F, Holzhauer B, Pethe A, Kay R, et al. Fevipiprant, an oral prostaglandin DP2 receptor (CRTh2) antagonist, in allergic asthma uncontrolled on low-dose inhaled corticosteroids. Eur Respir J. 2017;50: pubmed publisher..Further investigations into the clinical role of fevipiprant in suitably designed phase III clinical trials are warranted. ..