Gordon W Harkins
Affiliation: South African National Bioinformatics Institute
Country: South Africa
- The influence of secondary structure, selection and recombination on rubella virus nucleotide substitution rate estimatesLeendert J Cloete
South African National Bioinformatics Institute, SA Medical Research Council Unit for Bioinformatics Capacity Development, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
Virol J 11:166. 2014..RV evolves rapidly enough that much of this information might be inferable from RV genomic sequence data...
- Towards inferring the global movement of beak and feather disease virusGordon W Harkins
South African National Bioinformatics Institute, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa Electronic address
Virology 450:24-33. 2014..This is concerning because it suggests that any BFDV variants that might emerge in captive European birds could directly threaten wild psittacine populations...
- East African cassava mosaic-like viruses from Africa to Indian ocean islands: molecular diversity, evolutionary history and geographical dissemination of a bipartite begomovirusAlexandre De Bruyn
CIRAD, UMR PVBMT, Pole de protection des plantes, 7 chemin de l IRAT, Saint Pierre, Ile de La Réunion 97410, France
BMC Evol Biol 12:228. 2012....
- Experimental evidence indicating that mastreviruses probably did not co-diverge with their hostsGordon W Harkins
South African National Bioinformatics Institute, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
Virol J 6:104. 2009..The credibility of this hypothesis, therefore, hinges on the testable claim that negative selection during mastrevirus evolution is so potent that it effectively purges 99.999% of all mutations that occur...
- Dating the origins of the maize-adapted strain of maize streak virus, MSV-AGordon W Harkins
South African National Bioinformatics Institute, University of the Western Cape, Private Bag X17, Bellville 7535, South Africa
J Gen Virol 90:3066-74. 2009..This suggests a causal link between MSV recombination and the emergence of MSV-A as a serious pathogen of maize...
- Reconstructing the history of maize streak virus strain a dispersal to reveal diversification hot spots and its origin in southern AfricaAderito L Monjane
Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch 7701, Cape Town, South Africa
J Virol 85:9623-36. 2011..Collectively, our results suggest that regular analysis of MSV-A genomes within these diversification hot spots could be used to monitor the emergence of future MSV-A lineages that could affect maize cultivation in Africa...