Affiliation: Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit
Country: South Africa
- Vaginal wetness: an underestimated problem experienced by progestogen injectable contraceptive users in South AfricaJennifer Smit
School of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Durban Westville, Durban, South Africa
Soc Sci Med 55:1511-22. 2002..Whilst vaginal wetness can only be classified as a subjective side effect at this stage, further investigations are needed as many South African women opt to use this method...
- Knowledge and use of emergency contraception among women in the Western Cape province of South Africa: a cross-sectional studyLandon Myer
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Unit, School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
BMC Womens Health 7:14. 2007..At the same time, rates of teenage and unintended pregnancy in South Africa remain high, and there are few data on knowledge of EC in the general population in South Africa, as in other resource-limited settings...
- Short-term acceptability of the Reality polyurethane female condom and a synthetic latex prototype: a randomized crossover trial among South African womenJenni Smit
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of Witwatersrand, Mayville 4091, South Africa
Contraception 73:394-8. 2006..This multisite, randomized, crossover trial comparing the acceptability of the Reality(R) female condom (FC1), with a new synthetic latex prototype (FC2) of similar design and appearance to FC1, was conducted in Durban, South Africa...
- Where is the condom? Contraceptive practice in a rural district of South AfricaJennifer Smit
Africa Centre for Population Studies and Reproductive Health, Reproductive Health Research Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Afr J Reprod Health 6:71-8. 2002..Many (70.3%) women were not using any form of contraception. Counselling about contraceptive options should take into account the need for dual protection, and strategies for increasing condom use should be promoted...
- Serum medroxyprogesterone acetate levels in new and repeat users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate at the end of the dosing intervalJennifer Smit
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of the Witwatersrand, Suite 1301, Maritime House, 143 Salmon Grove, Durban, 4001, South Africa
Contraception 69:3-7. 2004..A prospective study, using standardized assay techniques and following individual women, is required to further clarify this issue...
- Male partner involvement and assistance in female condom useMags Beksinska
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Durban, South Africa
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 13:400-3. 2008..To investigate how males assist their partners in using the female condom...
- Performance of the Reality polyurethane female condom and a synthetic latex prototype: a randomized crossover trial among South African womenMags Beksinska
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of Witwatersrand, Mayville, 4091, South Africa
Contraception 73:386-93. 2006..This multisite, randomized, crossover trial comparing the performance of the Reality female condom (FC1) with a new synthetic latex prototype (FC2) was conducted in Durban, South Africa...
- Practice makes perfect: reduction in female condom failures and user problems with short-term experience in a randomized trialMags Beksinska
MatCH Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of the Witwatersrand, Overport 4091, South Africa
Contraception 86:127-31. 2012..Female condom (FC) failure (breakage, slippage, invagination and misdirection) declines with user experience. Participants in FC performance trials are commonly novice users, and failure rates may be inflated related to inexperience...
- Standardized definitions of failure modes for female condomsMags Beksinska
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Mayville 4091, South Africa
Contraception 75:251-5. 2007..These failure modes apply to FCs currently marketed or in advanced stages of clinical testing. They were designed to assist in the review and comparative assessment of different FCs...
- Female condom technology: new products and regulatory issuesMags Beksinska
Maternal, Adolescent and Child Health, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of the Witwatersrand, Overport 4091, South Africa
Contraception 83:316-21. 2011..We review the existing regulatory pathway for FCs, the progress made in developing standards specifically for FCs and the FCs available now or in development, including their current status regarding approval...
- Young men's HIV risks in South Africa: the importance of multiple risk behaviorsAbigail Harrison
AIDS 20:1467-8; author reply 1468-9. 2006
- Dual protection in sexually active womenImmo Kleinschmidt
Family Health International, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
S Afr Med J 93:854-7. 2003..To determine the prevalence and co-factors associated with the practice of dual protection against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancy in a cross-sectional sample of South African women...
- Dual protection against sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy in South AfricaChelsea Morroni
Women s Health Research Unit, School of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Cape Town, Observatory 7925, South Africa
Afr J Reprod Health 7:13-9. 2003..The predominance of hormonal contraceptive use in South Africa means that increasing barrier method use among hormonal contraceptive users is an important strategy for increasing dual protection...