Affiliation: Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit
Country: South Africa
- Impact of aciclovir on genital and plasma HIV-1 RNA in HSV-2/HIV-1 co-infected women: a randomized placebo-controlled trial in South AfricaSinead Delany
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa
AIDS 23:461-9. 2009..Several studies suggest that herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) may enhance HIV-1 transmission and disease progression...
- Comparison of cervicovaginal lavage, cervicovaginal lavage enriched with cervical swab, and vaginal tampon for the detection of HIV-1 RNA and HSV-2 DNA in genital secretionsSinead Delany
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:406-9. 2008....
- Using research to influence sexual and reproductive health practice and implementation in Sub-Saharan Africa: a case-study analysisOlivia Tulloch
International Health Research Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
Health Res Policy Syst 9:S10. 2011..Policy issues in SRH can be controversial, influenced by political factors and shaped by context such as religion, ethnicity, gender and sexuality...
- Comparison of focus HerpesSelect and Kalon HSV-2 gG2 ELISA serological assays to detect herpes simplex virus type 2 antibodies in a South African populationSinead Delany-Moretlwe
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, PO Box 18512, Hillbrow, Johannesburg 2038, South Africa
Sex Transm Infect 86:46-50. 2010..The performance of two widely used gG2 ELISA was compared to derive an appropriate testing algorithm for use in South Africa...
- Investing in the future: lessons learnt from communicating the results of HSV/ HIV intervention trials in South AfricaSinead Delany-Moretlwe
Reproductive Health and HIV Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Health Res Policy Syst 9:S8. 2011..Communicating the results of randomised controlled trials may present challenges for researchers who have to work with communities and policy-makers to anticipate positive outcomes, while being aware that results may show no effect or harm...
- HIV prevalence and risk in long-distance truck drivers in South Africa: a national cross-sectional surveySinead Delany-Moretlwe
WITS Reproductive Health and HIV Institute, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J STD AIDS 25:428-38. 2014..Mobility increased risk by creating conditions for unsafe sex and reducing access to health services. Targeted HIV interventions for long-distance truck drivers are needed. ..
- Nevirapine-based antiretroviral therapy does not reduce oral contraceptive effectivenessKavita Nanda
aFHI 360, Integrated Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA bWits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute WRHI, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa cMulago Hospital, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda dThe Aurum Institute, Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 27:S17-25. 2013..To evaluate the effect of nevirapine-containing antiretroviral therapy (ART) on combined oral contraceptive (COC) effectiveness...
- Cognitive mapping: using local knowledge for planning health researchJonathan Stadler
WITS Reproductive Health and HIV Institute, School of Clinical Medicine, Witwatersrand University, PO Box 18512, Hillbrow, Johannesburg, 2038, South Africa
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:96. 2013..We adapted this method to provide detailed data about study locales to inform recruitment and retention strategies for HIV prevention community based clinical trials...