C B Brink
Affiliation: North-West University
Country: South Africa
- Studies on cellular resilience and adaptation following acute and repetitive exposure to ozone in cultured human epithelial (HeLa) cellsChristiaan B Brink
Division of Pharmacology, North West University, Potchefstroom, North West Province, South Africa
Redox Rep 13:87-100. 2008..While acute ozone may decrease cell viability, multiple preexposures up-regulates cellular plasticity via induction of anti-apoptotic pathways in a treatment regimen-specific manner...
- Appearance of antidepressant-like effect by sildenafil in rats after central muscarinic receptor blockade: evidence from behavioural and neuro-receptor studiesC B Brink
Unit for Drug Research and Development, Division of Pharmacology, North West University PUK, Potchefstroom, South Africa
J Neural Transm 115:117-25. 2008..Sildenafil thus demonstrates antidepressant-like effects but only after central muscarinic receptor blockade, providing evidence for cholinergic-nitrergic interactions in the neurobiology of depression...
- Role of monoamine oxidase, nitric oxide synthase and regional brain monoamines in the antidepressant-like effects of methylene blue and selected structural analoguesBrian H Harvey
Division of Pharmacology, Unit for Drug Research and Development, School of Pharmacy, North West University Potchefstroom Campus, Hofman Street, Private Bag X6001, Potchefstroom 2520, South Africa
Biochem Pharmacol 80:1580-91. 2010..A role for MAO-B and DA appears minimal...
- Tianeptine: a novel atypical antidepressant that may provide new insights into the biomolecular basis of depressionChristiaan B Brink
Division of Pharmacology, North West University PUK, Potchefstroom, 2520, South Africa
Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov 1:29-41. 2006..Importantly, tianeptine is not anxiogenic and has also been shown to be effective in treatment-resistant depression, which may lead the way to a major breakthrough in the treatment of depression...
- Antidepressant-like properties of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors and cholinergic dependency in a genetic rat model of depressionNico Liebenberg
School of Pharmacy, Division Pharmacology, North West University PUK, Potchefstroom, South Africa
Behav Pharmacol 21:540-7. 2010..Furthermore, the behavioural profile of sildenafil alone, and its observed antidepressant-like properties, shows strict dose-dependency, with only higher doses showing an interaction with the cholinergic system...
- Effects of myo-inositol versus fluoxetine and imipramine pretreatments on serotonin 5HT2A and muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in human neuroblastoma cellsChristiaan B Brink
Division of Pharmacology, Potchefstroom campus of the North West University, Potchefstroom, South Africa
Metab Brain Dis 19:51-70. 2004..The data provide novel information on understanding the mechanism of action of mI in depression and related anxiety disorders and added to the evidence suggesting a role for the cholinergic system in the pathophysiology of depression...
- Phenoxybenzamine and benextramine, but not 4-diphenylacetoxy-N-[2-chloroethyl]piperidine hydrochloride, display irreversible noncompetitive antagonism at G protein-coupled receptorsJohannes Bodenstein
Division of Pharmacology, Northwest University PUK, Potchefstroom, 2520 South Africa
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 314:891-905. 2005....