Affiliation: Medical Research Council
Country: South Africa
- Research capacity building and collaboration between South African and American partners: the adaptation of an intervention model for HIV/AIDS prevention in corrections researchPriscilla Reddy
Department of Health Promotion Research and Development, Medical Research Council, Capetown, South Africa
AIDS Educ Prev 14:92-102. 2002..The article illuminates the process of adapting a model for a postapartheid prison study from one designed for use in the American correctional system...
- Lifetime occurrence of sexually transmitted infection (STI) and substance use risk among prerelease South African prison inmatesTorrance Stephens
Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30310, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 26:355-63. 2006..34; 95% CI 0.62, 8.88), experience of needle sharing (OR 2.13; 95% CI 0.55, 8.27), and drug/alcohol use leading to problems at school or work were the strongest indicators for inmates having a lifetime STI...
- Access point analysis on the state of health care services in South African prisons: a qualitative exploration of correctional health care workers' and inmates' perspectives in Kwazulu-Natal and MpumalangaSibusiso Sifunda
Medical Research Council, Cape Town, 7505, WC South Africa
Soc Sci Med 63:2301-9. 2006..Peer-led education programmes emerged as a key aspect of preparation for release and community reintegration amongst inmates...
- Social construction and cultural meanings of STI/HIV-related terminology among Nguni-speaking inmates and warders in four South African correctional facilitiesSibusiso Sifunda
Health Promotion Research evelopment Group, Medical Research Council, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Health Educ Res 22:805-14. 2007..The research has biopsychological as well as cultural implications for the development and adaptation of contextually relevant health promotion interventions...
- The effectiveness of a peer-led HIV/AIDS and STI health education intervention for prison inmates in South AfricaSibusiso Sifunda
Health Promotion R and D Group, Medical Research Council, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Health Educ Behav 35:494-508. 2008..It is argued that peer-led health education programs may be effective in reducing risky behavior amongst soon-to-be-released inmates...
- The psychosocial determinants of the intention to reduce the number of sexual partners among recent traditionally initiated and circumcized men in the Eastern Cape Province, South AfricaAnam Nyembezi
Medical Research Council, Health Promotion Research and Development Unit, Tygerberg, South Africa
J Health Psychol 17:664-75. 2012..These findings provide specific information for the development of a focused cultural sensitive STI/HIV prevention programme in sexually active young men, which can be integrated into the initiation and health education practices...
- Condom use promotion among isiXhosa speaking women living with HIV in the Western Cape Province, South Africa: a pilot studyDorina Saleh-Onoya
Health Promotion Research and Development, Medical Research Council, South Africa
AIDS Care 21:817-25. 2009..These results are strong indications that this intervention could serve as a basis for the development of potentially effective interventions to reduce STI-related sexual risk behaviours among HIV-positive black women in South Africa...
- The association between ethnic identity and sexual coercion among young men in the Eastern Cape Province, South AfricaAnam Nyembezi
Medical Research Council, South Africa
J Health Psychol 17:1089-94. 2012..The findings suggest that emphasizing cultural commitment may reduce sexual coercion, though findings need to be replicated...
- Transactional sexual relationships, sexually transmitted infection risk, and condom use among young Black Women in peri-urban areas of the Western Cape Province of South AfricaDorina Onoya
Human Sciences Research Council, HIV AIDS, STI and TB program, Cape Town, South Africa
Womens Health Issues 22:e277-82. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relationship between having a history of transactional sexual relationships with condom use and STI risk...
- Correlates of risky sexual behaviors in recently traditionally circumcised men from initiation lodges in the Eastern Cape, South AfricaAnam Nyembezi
Medical Research Council, South Africa
Int Q Community Health Educ 30:97-114. 2009....