Heidi Van Rooyen
Affiliation: Human Sciences Research Council
Country: South Africa
- Advice dilemmas: Managing advice against the competing public health and counselling imperatives that shape VCT in South AfricaHeidi Van Rooyen
a HIV AIDS, Sexually Transmitted Infections and TB HAST Programme, Human Sciences Research Council, 750 Francois Road, Durban, 4001, South Africa Author s email
Afr J AIDS Res 12:211-20. 2013..Clear practice guidelines and tools are required to assist counsellors to distinguish between advice, suggestion or mere confirmation of an intended client action, and the circumstances under which these would be recommended or not. ..
- What are the constraints and opportunities for HIVST scale-up in Africa? Evidence from Kenya, Malawi and South AfricaHeidi Van Rooyen
Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 18:19445. 2015..This qualitative study assessed the perceptions of HIVST among stakeholders in three sub-Saharan countries...
- Uthando Lwethu ('our love'): a protocol for a couples-based intervention to increase testing for HIV: a randomized controlled trial in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaLynae A Darbes
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, 50 Beale Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Trials 15:64. 2014..We hypothesize that the rate of participation in CHCT will be higher and sexual risk behavior will be lower in the intervention group as compared to the control...
- Characteristics of sexually experienced HIV testers aged 18 to 32 in rural South Africa: baseline results from a community-based trial, NIMH Project Accept (HPTN 043)Lucia Knight
School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, P Bag X17, Bellville 7535, South Africa
BMC Public Health 14:1164. 2014..Testing facilitates the sharing of prevention messages but also enables the linkage to care and treatment of those who test positive and therefore has wider public health implications...
- Mobile VCT: reaching men and young people in urban and rural South African pilot studies (NIMH Project Accept, HPTN 043)Heidi Van Rooyen
HIV AIDS, STIs and TB Unit, Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, South Africa
AIDS Behav 17:2946-53. 2013..Our study shows that providing mobile, high-quality and easy to access services in a high prevalence context is a feasible way to engage youth, men and more rural populations in HIV counselling and testing...
- High HIV testing uptake and linkage to care in a novel program of home-based HIV counseling and testing with facilitated referral in KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaHeidi Van Rooyen
Human Sciences Research Council, Sweetwaters, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 64:e1-8. 2013..For antiretroviral therapy (ART) to have a population-level HIV prevention impact, high levels of HIV testing and effective linkages to HIV care among HIV-infected persons are required...
- Health diplomacy and the adaptation of global health interventions to local needs in sub-Saharan Africa and Thailand: evaluating findings from Project Accept (HPTN 043)Sebastian Kevany
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
BMC Public Health 12:459. 2012..We report on the adaptations development, approval and implementation process from the Project Accept voluntary counseling and testing, community mobilization and post-test support services intervention...
- Advice-giving difficulties in voluntary counselling and testing: a distinctly moral activityHeidi Van Rooyen
CYFSD, HSRC, Durban, South Africa
AIDS Care 23:281-6. 2011..As such, a moral context is likely to be evoked in these conversations. The challenge is to assist counsellors to address the moral questions surrounding HIV risk in a way that places responsibility not blame onto clients...
- Project Masihambisane: a cluster randomised controlled trial with peer mentors to improve outcomes for pregnant mothers living with HIVMary Jane Rotheram-Borus
Global Center for Children and Families, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Trials 12:2. 2011..Standard Prevention of Maternal to Child Transmission (PMTCT) programs are not designed to address these challenges...
- HIV self-testing could "revolutionize testing in South Africa, but it has got to be done properly": perceptions of key stakeholdersTawanda Makusha
Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, South Africa
PLoS ONE 10:e0122783. 2015....
- Universal HIV testing of infants at immunization clinics: an acceptable and feasible approach for early infant diagnosis in high HIV prevalence settingsNigel Rollins
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
AIDS 23:1851-7. 2009..To determine the acceptability and feasibility of universal HIV testing of 6-week-old infants attending immunization clinics to achieve early diagnosis of HIV and referral for HIV treatment and care services...
- 'If you are circumcised, you are the best': understandings and perceptions of voluntary medical male circumcision among men from KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaHilton Humphries
a HIV AIDS, STI and TB Unit, Human Science Research Council, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Cult Health Sex 17:920-31. 2015..The study also highlights the need for individualised and contextualised information and counselling that can identify, understand and address the perceptions men have of VMMC, and the impacts they believe it will have on them. ..
- The influence of antiretroviral treatment on willingness to test: a qualitative study in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaZipho Phakathi
a Human Sciences Research Council, 750 Francois Road, Durban, 4001, South Africa
Afr J AIDS Res 10:173-80. 2011....
- Pregnant women living with HIV (WLH) supported at clinics by peer WLH: a cluster randomized controlled trialLinda Richter
Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
AIDS Behav 18:706-15. 2014..Adherence to clinic intervention groups was low, yet, there were benefits for maternal and infant health at 1.5 months post-birth. ..
- Qualitative interviews with mentor mothers living with HIV: potential impacts of role and coping strategiesLebohang Dhlamini
Human Sciences Research Council, Sweetwaters, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 15:17391. 2012..This article explores the personal impact of being a mentor, the potentially traumatizing effects of repeatedly sharing their experiences of living with HIV and the coping strategies they adopt...