Affiliation: Human Sciences Research Council
Country: South Africa
- Poverty, underdevelopment and infant mental healthL M Richter
Child, Youth and Family Development, Human Sciences Research Council, Dalbridge and School of Psychology, University of Natal, Natal, South Africa
J Paediatr Child Health 39:243-8. 2003..An example is provided of a simple intervention model based on sound developmental principles that can be implemented by trained non-professionals in conditions of poverty and underdevelopment...
- Strengthening families to support children affected by HIV and AIDSLinda M Richter
Child, Youth, Family and Social Development Programme, Human Sciences Research Council, South Africa
AIDS Care 21:3-12. 2009....
- Project Masihambisane: a cluster randomised controlled trial with peer mentors to improve outcomes for pregnant mothers living with HIVMary Jane Rotheram-Borus
Global Center for Children and Families, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Trials 12:2. 2011..Standard Prevention of Maternal to Child Transmission (PMTCT) programs are not designed to address these challenges...
- Design and methods of a longitudinal study investigating the impact of antiretroviral treatment on the partnerships and sexual behaviour of HIV-infected individuals in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaNuala McGrath
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Public Health 11:121. 2011..This includes improving the availability of longitudinal demographic and health data on HIV-infected individuals who have accessed ART services but who are not yet ART-eligible...
- HIV surveillance in a large, community-based study: results from the pilot study of Project Accept (HIV Prevention Trials Network 043)Estelle Piwowar-Manning
Dept of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Univ, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
BMC Infect Dis 11:251. 2011..We evaluated the accuracy of in-country HIV rapid testing and determined HIV prevalence in the Project Accept pilot study...
- An introduction to family-centred services for children affected by HIV and AIDSLinda Richter
Child, Youth, Family and Social Development, Human Sciences Research Council, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 13:S1. 2010..It is also clear that many of the institutions that are intended to serve families sometimes fail and frequently even combat non-traditional families...
- Improving hospital care for young children in the context of HIV/AIDS and povertyLinda Richter
Child, Youth, Family and Social Development, Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, South Africa
J Child Health Care 13:198-211. 2009..This article describes the development of simple, low-cost and context-relevant interventions to improve the care environment for young hospitalized children within the context of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and poverty...
- Factors influencing enrollment: a case study from Birth to Twenty, the 1990 birth cohort in Soweto-JohannesburgLinda M Richter
Child Youth Family and Social Development, Human Sciences Research Council, Private Bag X07, Dalbridge 4014, South Africa
Eval Program Plann 32:197-203. 2009..Longitudinal studies in the developing country context must be mindful of the political, social and economic climate that influences enrollment and ongoing cohort maintenance...
- Targeting AIDS orphans and child-headed households? A perspective from national surveys in South Africa, 1995-2005Linda M Richter
Child Youth Family and Social Development, Human Sciences Research Council, Dalbridge, South Africa
AIDS Care 20:1019-28. 2008..Poverty is a pitiless backdrop to the AIDS epidemic and needs to be at the heart of strategies to address the needs of all vulnerable children in hard-hit communities...
- Studying adolescenceLinda M Richter
Child, Youth, Family, and Social Development, Human Sciences Research Council, Private Bag X07, Dalbridge 4014, South Africa
Science 312:1902-5. 2006....
- Transition from Birth to Ten to Birth to Twenty: the South African cohort reaches 13 years of ageLinda M Richter
Child, Youth and Family Development, Human Sciences Research Council and School of Psychology, University of Natal, Dalbridge, South Africa
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 18:290-301. 2004....
- Cohort Profile: Mandela's children: the 1990 Birth to Twenty study in South AfricaLinda Richter
Human Sciences Research Council and University of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Int J Epidemiol 36:504-11. 2007
- Visioning services for children affected by HIV and AIDS through a family lensLinda Richter
Child Youth Family and Social Development CYFSD, Human Sciences Research Council, Durban, South Africa
J Int AIDS Soc 13:I1. 2010..We hope this constitutes a beginning of what could be a groundswell of interest in family-centred services for children affected by HIV and AIDS...
- Pediatric nursing in the context of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in resource-poor settings--balancing the "art and the science"Linda Govender
Child, Youth, Family and Social Development Unit, Human Sciences Research Council, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Holist Nurs Pract 20:247-54. 2006..The findings indicate changes to the nature of nursing practice, knowledge of nursing, and ethics of nursing care...
- Young adults, the target of below-the-line advertisingSaadhna Panday
Child, Youth and Family Development, Human Sciences Research Council
S Afr Med J 96:104-5. 2006
- Collecting maternal health information from HIV-positive pregnant women using mobile phone-assisted face-to-face interviews in Southern AfricaAlastair van Heerden
Human Sciences Research Council, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
J Med Internet Res 15:e116. 2013..Although efforts to reduce mother-to-child transmission are underway, obtaining complete and accurate data from rural clinical sites to track progress presents a major challenge...
- Health and social scientists need to weigh inNina S Lewin
S Afr Med J 97:392. 2007
- Are there short cuts to pubertal assessments? Self-reported and assessed group differences in pubertal development in African adolescentsShane A Norris
MRC Mineral Metabolism Research Unit, Department of Paediatrics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Adolesc Health 42:259-65. 2008..The objective of this study was to assess the reliability of the PDS for the first time among urban, Black South African youth...
- Depression among pregnant rural South African women undergoing HIV testingTamsen J Rochat
JAMA 295:1376-8. 2006
- The silent truth of teenage pregnancies--Birth to Twenty cohort's next generationLinda M Richter
S Afr Med J 96:122, 124. 2006