Country: South Africa
- Integration of antiretroviral treatment within antenatal care in Gauteng Province, South AfricaKarin van der Merwe
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:577-81. 2006..Further evaluation is needed of interventions linking antenatal with antiretroviral (ARV) treatment services and effectiveness of triple-ARV regimens for reducing MTCT in resource-constrained settings...
- Reuse of nevirapine in exposed HIV-infected children after protease inhibitor-based viral suppression: a randomized controlled trialAshraf Coovadia
Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
JAMA 304:1082-90. 2010..However, there are limitations of continuing PI-based therapy indefinitely and reuse of nevirapine has many advantages...
- HIV-1 drug resistance at antiretroviral treatment initiation in children previously exposed to single-dose nevirapineGillian M Hunt
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 25:1461-9. 2011..To describe the prevalence of HIV-1 drug resistance mutations at the time of treatment initiation in a large cohort of HIV-infected children previously exposed to single-dose nevirapine (sdNVP) for prevention of transmission...
- Lipid profiles in young HIV-infected children initiating and changing antiretroviral therapyRenate Strehlau
Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 60:369-76. 2012..Here we examined lipid profile changes in a cohort of young children before and after suppression on an initial ritonavir-boosted lopinavir (LPV/r)-based regimen and after switch to a nevirapine (NVP)-based regimen...
- Absence seizures associated with efavirenz initiationRenate Strehlau
Empilweni Services and Research Unit ESRU, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:1001-3. 2011..Plasma efavirenz values were above therapeutic range. The child was homozygous for the CYP2B6-516T/T genotype, which is associated with poor efavirenz clearance. Seizures abated after efavirenz discontinuation...
- Persistent minority K103N mutations among women exposed to single-dose nevirapine and virologic response to nonnucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor-based therapyAshraf Coovadia
Empilweni Clinic, Coronation Women and Children Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 48:462-72. 2009....
- Effect of Maternal HIV-1 Status and Antiretroviral Drugs on Haematological Profiles of South African Infants in Early LifeDiana B Schramm
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases and Department of Virology, University of the Witwatersrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Open AIDS J 4:156-65. 2010..These previously undescribed features may affect immune response capability in early life and clinical consequences of such changes need to be further investigated...
- Vertical HIV transmission in South Africa: translating research into policy and practiceSalim Abdool Karim
University of Natal, 4041, South Africa
Lancet 359:992-3. 2002