Country: South Africa
- Integration of antiretroviral treatment within antenatal care in Gauteng Province, South AfricaKarin van der Merwe
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:577-81. 2006..Further evaluation is needed of interventions linking antenatal with antiretroviral (ARV) treatment services and effectiveness of triple-ARV regimens for reducing MTCT in resource-constrained settings...
- Reuse of nevirapine in exposed HIV-infected children after protease inhibitor-based viral suppression: a randomized controlled trialAshraf Coovadia
Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
JAMA 304:1082-90. 2010..However, there are limitations of continuing PI-based therapy indefinitely and reuse of nevirapine has many advantages...
- HIV-1 drug resistance at antiretroviral treatment initiation in children previously exposed to single-dose nevirapineGillian M Hunt
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Johannesburg, South Africa
AIDS 25:1461-9. 2011..To describe the prevalence of HIV-1 drug resistance mutations at the time of treatment initiation in a large cohort of HIV-infected children previously exposed to single-dose nevirapine (sdNVP) for prevention of transmission...
- Lipid profiles in young HIV-infected children initiating and changing antiretroviral therapyRenate Strehlau
Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 60:369-76. 2012..Here we examined lipid profile changes in a cohort of young children before and after suppression on an initial ritonavir-boosted lopinavir (LPV/r)-based regimen and after switch to a nevirapine (NVP)-based regimen...
- Absence seizures associated with efavirenz initiationRenate Strehlau
Empilweni Services and Research Unit ESRU, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:1001-3. 2011..Plasma efavirenz values were above therapeutic range. The child was homozygous for the CYP2B6-516T/T genotype, which is associated with poor efavirenz clearance. Seizures abated after efavirenz discontinuation...
- Poor early virologic performance and durability of abacavir-based first-line regimens for HIV-infected childrenKarl Günter Technau
Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Rahima Moosa Mother and Child Hospital, Coronationville, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:851-5. 2013..Concerns about stavudine (d4T) toxicity have led to increased use of abacavir (ABC) in first-line pediatric antiretroviral treatment (ART) regimens. Field experience with ABC in ART-naïve children is limited...
- Persistent minority K103N mutations among women exposed to single-dose nevirapine and virologic response to nonnucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitor-based therapyAshraf Coovadia
Empilweni Clinic, Coronation Women and Children Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 48:462-72. 2009....
- Paradoxical Mycobacterium tuberculosis Meningitis Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome in an HIV-infected ChildEmma Kalk
From the Paediatric HIV Diagnostic Syndicate and Empilweni Services and Research Unit, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 32:157-62. 2013..We describe a fatal case of Mycobacterium tuberculosis meningitis immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in an HIV-infected child and review the literature...
- Effect of Maternal HIV-1 Status and Antiretroviral Drugs on Haematological Profiles of South African Infants in Early LifeDiana B Schramm
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases and Department of Virology, University of the Witwatersrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Open AIDS J 4:156-65. 2010..These previously undescribed features may affect immune response capability in early life and clinical consequences of such changes need to be further investigated...
- Vertical HIV transmission in South Africa: translating research into policy and practiceSalim Abdool Karim
University of Natal, 4041, South Africa
Lancet 359:992-3. 2002