V N Chihota
Affiliation: Aurum Institute for Health Research
Country: South Africa
- Comparison of laboratory costs of rapid molecular tests and conventional diagnostics for detection of tuberculosis and drug-resistant tuberculosis in South AfricaMaunank Shah
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Disease, 1503 East Jefferson St, Room 118, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
BMC Infect Dis 13:352. 2013..In South Africa, the Xpert MTB/Rif assay and the GenoType MTBDRplus have been implemented into reference laboratories for diagnosis of TB and drug-resistance, but their costs have not been fully elucidated...
- Spectrum of non-tuberculous mycobacteria identified using standard biochemical testing vs. 16S sequencingV N Chihota
The Aurum Institute, Parktown, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 17:267-9. 2013..gordonae isolates incorrectly identified as M. scrofulaceum using SBT. The majority of these were the potentially pathogenic strain D, M. gordonae. Sequencing is preferable where available to guide treatment...
- Population structure of multi- and extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains in South AfricaViolet N Chihota
DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 50:995-1002. 2012..This situation may illustrate how failure of efficient health care delivery in one setting can burden health clinics in other areas...
- Liquid vs. solid culture for tuberculosis: performance and cost in a resource-constrained settingV N Chihota
Aurum Institute for Health Research, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:1024-31. 2010..National Health Laboratory Services tuberculosis (TB) laboratory, South Africa...
- Clonal expansion of a globally disseminated lineage of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with low IS6110 copy numbersR M Warren
MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, P O Box 19063, Tygerberg, 7505, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 42:5774-82. 2004..These clones have subsequently become widely disseminated and now play an important role in the global tuberculosis epidemic...
- Isoniazid preventive therapy use among patients on antiretroviral therapy: a missed opportunityT Kufa
The Aurum Institute, Johannesburg, South Africa School of Public Health, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 18:312-4. 2014..90, 95%CI 1.18-3.06), and receiving care at one clinic as opposed to the other (aOR 4.72, 95%CI 2.69-7.93). The high proportion of patients on ART eligible for IPT represents a missed opportunity for IPT scale-up. ..