- The role of attachment style and depression in patients with hepatitis C
Department of Psychiatry, Program in Medical Psychiatry, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 20:227-33. 2013
..Screening of relationship styles may identify at-risk HCV-infected individuals for depression who may have difficulty engaging in care and managing physical symptoms...
- Psychiatric treatment considerations with direct acting antivirals in hepatitis C
University Health Network, Program in Medical Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street 8EN 228, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
BMC Gastroenterol 13:86. 2013
..This paper provides a review of the neuropsychiatric adverse effects of DAAs and drug-drug interactions (DDIs) between DAAs and psychiatric medications...
- Evaluating psychiatry residents as physician-managers: development of an assessment tool
Dept of Psychiatry, University of Toronto the Dept of Psychiatry, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 37:11-7. 2013
..The aim of this study was to determine psychiatry residents', program directors', and PM educators' perceptions about PM role-assessment...
- Preparing international medical graduates for psychiatry residency: a multi-site needs assessment
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 36:277-81. 2012
..Therefore, the authors conducted a needs-assessment survey to determine the needs of IMGs transitioning into psychiatry residency...
- Teaching the physician-manager role to psychiatric residents: development and implementation of a pilot curriculum
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 33:125-30. 2009
..The authors describe a pilot physician-manager curriculum designed to address the learning needs of psychiatric residents in administrative psychiatry and health systems...
- Quality education: a pilot quality improvement curriculum for psychiatry residents
University Health Network, Canada
Med Teach 32:e221-6. 2010
..A series of Institute of Medicine's reports have highlighted the need for greater quality improvement (QI) training in medical education; however, few formal QI curricula for medical trainees have been described in the literature...
- Teaching and learning the physician manager role: psychiatry residents' perspectives
University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Teach 32:e308-14. 2010
- (Dis)orientation of international medical graduates: an approach to foster teaching, learning, and collaboration (TLC)
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network and Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 37:104-7. 2013
..This program was adopted to address the professional and personal challenges faced by International Medical Graduates (IMGs) completing a fellowship in psychosomatic medicine...
- Implementing a new physician manager curriculum into a psychiatry residency training program: the change process, barriers and facilitators
Julie D Maggi
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Psychiatr Q 79:21-31. 2008
..Additionally, the article focuses on the role of the psychiatrist in the process...
- A comparison of depression screening instruments in hepatitis C and the impact of depression on somatic symptoms
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON M5G2C4, Canada
Psychosomatics 52:433-40. 2011
- Determining rates of hepatitis C in a clozapine treated cohort
Psychiatry, Health and Disease Division, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Schizophr Res 124:86-90. 2010
..To determine the prevalence rates of hepatitis C in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder being treated with clozapine...
- Residents' perceived physician-manager educational needs: a national survey of psychiatry residents
Medical and Surgical Psychiatry Program, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 53:745-52. 2008
..To determine Canadian psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in physician-manager competencies during their residency training...
- Managing depression during hepatitis C treatment
Program in Medical Psychiatry, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario
Can J Psychiatry 54:614-25. 2009
..We summarize the risk factors for interferon-alpha-induced major depressive disorder (IFN-alpha-MDD) in HCV patients and the evidence for antidepressant prophylaxis and symptomatic antidepressant treatment of depression...
- A review of sleep disturbance in hepatitis C
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:38-45. 2010
..Further research is needed to elucidate the efficacy of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments of sleep disorders in CHC patients...
- Identifying opportunities to improve management of autoimmune hepatitis: evaluation of drug adherence and psychosocial factors
University Health Network, Program in Medical Psychiatry, Canada
J Hepatol 57:1299-304. 2012
..We sought to determine the association between anxiety, depressive symptoms, and avoidant relationship style on self-reported immunosuppressant medication adherence and treatment response in patients with AIH...
- Evaluation of professional role competency during psychiatry residency
Nikola N Grujich
Dept of Psychiatry, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 36:126-8. 2012
..The authors sought to determine psychiatry residents' perceptions on the current method of evaluating professional role competency and the use of multi-source feedback (MSF) as an assessment tool...
- Psychometric properties of the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) as a depression screening tool for bariatric surgery candidates
Department of Psychology, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Psychosomatics 54:352-8. 2013
..Given the potential implications of depression on surgery outcomes, presurgery psychiatric assessment is recommended to assess suitability for bariatric surgery...
- Physicians as managers: psychiatry residents' perceived gaps in knowledge and skills in administrative psychiatry
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 31:304-7. 2007
..The authors determine psychiatry residents' perceived needs and educational preferences for a physician-manager curriculum...
- Psychosomatic medicine and psychiatry residents: a pan-Canadian survey
Tuong Vi Nguyen
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, 1033 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, QC, Canada
Psychosomatics 52:354-61. 2011
..Due to the unclear status of PM in Canada, a national survey was designed to assess the perception of and training experiences in PM among psychiatry residents...
- A pilot study in suicide intervention training using a group intervention for patients with recurrent suicide attempts
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network and University of Toronto, Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2C4, Canada
Acad Psychiatry 34:132-5. 2010
..This article describes psychiatric trainees' reflections regarding their participation in a psychosocial/psychoeducational group intervention for individuals with recurrent suicide attempts...
- Use of animal-assisted therapy in the rehabilitation of an assault victim with a concurrent mood disorder
Medical Psychiatry Service, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Issues Ment Health Nurs 29:73-84. 2008
..A review of the relevant literature highlights the therapeutic potential of animal-assisted therapy to restore and maintain patient independence and level of functioning, both of which are key treatment goals...
- Managing the neuropsychiatric complications of hepatitis C treatment
Department of Psychiatry, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 68:520-5. 2007
..This article reviews the management of neuropsychiatric adverse effects and the risks of interferon-alpha treatment to psychiatric patients...
- Treatment of clozapine-induced hypersalivation with ipratropium bromide: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital 8EN 225, 200 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 70:1114-9. 2009
..Previous open-label studies suggest that sublingual ipratropium bromide may be effective in treating CIH...
- The association between attachment avoidance and quality of life in bariatric surgery candidates
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Obes Facts 4:456-60. 2011
..In this study, we aimed to determine the relationship between insecure attachment styles and HRQOL in bariatric surgery candidates...