- Concept formation: 'object' attributes dynamically inhibited from conscious awareness
Centre for the Mind, Australian National University, ACT 0200, Australia
J Integr Neurosci 3:31-46. 2004
..The model further shows how unusual autistic savant skills as well as certain psychopathologies can be due respectively to privileged or inadvertent access to information that is normally inhibited from conscious awareness...
- Savant-like skills exposed in normal people by suppressing the left fronto-temporal lobe
Allan W Snyder
Centre for the Mind, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Integr Neurosci 2:149-58. 2003
..Our conclusions are derived from 11 right-handed male university students, eight of whom underwent placebo stimulation. We examined performance before, during and after exposure to the stimulation...
- Nonconscious idea generation
Centre for the Mind, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Psychol Rep 94:1325-30. 2004
- Savant-like numerosity skills revealed in normal people by magnetic pulses
Centre for the Mind, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Perception 35:837-45. 2006
..The probability of as many as eight out of twelve people doing best just after rTMS and not after sham stimulation by chance alone is less than one in one thousand...
- Explaining and inducing savant skills: privileged access to lower level, less-processed information
Centre for the Mind, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 364:1399-405. 2009
..Unlike the healthy mind, which has inbuilt expectations of the world (internal order), the autistic mind must simplify the world by adopting strict routines (external order)...
- Noninvasive brain stimulation reduces prejudice scores on an implicit association test
Centre for the Mind, University of Sydney, Main Quadrangle A14, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Neuropsychology 25:185-92. 2011
..Our aim was to investigate whether rTMS to the ATLs could reduce scores on a standard measure of prejudice (implicit association test, IAT)...
- The perceptual cues that reshape expert reasoning
The School of Psychology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Sci Rep 2:502. 2012
- Are angry male and female faces represented in opposite hemispheres of the female brain? A study using repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)
Center for the Mind, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Integr Neurosci 5:187-97. 2006
..e., that male and female faces are processed in opposite hemispheres, which might reflect the divergent adaptive significance of male and female threat for young females...
- Reducing false memories by magnetic pulse stimulation
Centre for the Mind, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Neurosci Lett 449:151-4. 2009
..This is comparable to the improvement that people with autism and semantic dementia show over "normal" individuals. This finding suggests a potential method for reducing certain types of false memories...