- [Diagnosis and treatment of hair pulling- and skin picking disorder]
Department of Psychology University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, USA
Laeknabladid 98:155-62. 2012
..Results show that behavior therapy (habit reversal) has consistently been shown to be effective, SSRIs seem not to work, but preliminary data suggest that other drugs (e.g. N-acetylcysteine) may benefit some patients...
- The Skin Picking Impact Scale: Factor structure, validity and development of a short version
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211, USA
Scand J Psychol 54:344-8. 2013
..In conclusion, the findings indicate that both versions are psychometrically sound measures of SPD related psychosocial impact; however, some potential limitations of the full scale are discussed...
- Skin picking disorder is associated with other body-focused repetitive behaviors: findings from an internet study
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53211, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 24:292-9. 2012
..It has been proposed that SPD is related to other problematic body-focused repetitive behaviors (BFRBs), such as hair pulling disorder (HPD) and problematic nail biting and cheek biting...
- How related are hair pulling disorder (trichotillomania) and skin picking disorder? A review of evidence for comorbidity, similarities and shared etiology
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Garland Hall, 2441 Harford Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 32:618-29. 2012
..g., symptom presentation and course of illness) and may have some distal risk factors in common (e.g., genetic vulnerabilities). Implications for classification in the DSM-5, clinical management and research on etiology were discussed...
- Emotion regulation in pathological skin picking: findings from a non-treatment seeking sample
University of Iceland, Department of Psychology, Sturlugata, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 41:238-45. 2010
..Furthermore, emotion regulation difficulties statistically mediated the relationship between emotion reactivity and PSP. Overall, the findings support an emotion regulation model of PSP...
- The Trichotillomania Impact Project in Young Children (TIP-YC): Clinical Characteristics, Comorbidity, Functional Impairment and Treatment Utilization
Michael R Walther
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2441 East Hartford Avenue, Milwaukee, WI, 53211, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 45:24-31. 2014
..In conclusion, clinical characteristics of childhood hair pulling are largely similar to adult/adolescent hair pulling problems, but there are some notable differences, particularly among pre-school aged children. ..
- Motor inhibition, reflection impulsivity, and trait impulsivity in pathological skin picking
Department of Psychology, University of Iceland, 101 Reykjavik
Behav Ther 42:521-32. 2011
..The results indicate that PSP sufferers are characterized by emotion-based impulsivity and do not appear to be impulsive in other ways...