Genomes and Genes
Mark J Smyth
- Guillerey C, Smyth M. NK Cells and Cancer Immunoediting. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2016;395:115-45 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review the current knowledge of NK cell functions in anti-tumor immunity . We discuss NK cell activity in the cancer immunoediting process with particular emphasis on the elimination and escape phases. ..
- Guillerey C, Harjunpää H, Carrié N, Kassem S, Teo T, Miles K, et al. TIGIT immune checkpoint blockade restores CD8+ T cell immunity against multiple myeloma. Blood. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Altogether our data provide evidence for an immune-inhibitory role of TIGIT in MM and support the development of TIGIT-blocking strategies for the treatment of MM patients. ..
- Mittal D, Young A, Stannard K, Yong M, Teng M, Allard B, et al. Antimetastatic effects of blocking PD-1 and the adenosine A2A receptor. Cancer Res. 2014;74:3652-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results provide a strong rationale to use A2ARi with anti-PD-1 mAb for the treatment of minimal residual and metastatic disease. ..
- Mittal D, Sinha D, Barkauskas D, Young A, Kalimutho M, Stannard K, et al. Adenosine 2B Receptor Expression on Cancer Cells Promotes Metastasis. Cancer Res. 2016;76:4372-82 pubmed publisher..Collectively, high A2BR on mouse and human tumors promotes cancer metastasis and is an ideal candidate for therapeutic intervention. Cancer Res; 76(15); 4372-82. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Nakamura K, Kassem S, Cleynen A, ChrÃ©tien M, Guillerey C, Putz E, et al. Dysregulated IL-18 Is a Key Driver of Immunosuppression and a Possible Therapeutic Target in the Multiple Myeloma Microenvironment. Cancer Cell. 2018;33:634-648.e5 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, high levels of bone marrow plasma IL-18 were associated with poor overall survival in MM patients. Furthermore, our preclinical studies suggested that IL-18 could be a potential therapeutic target in MM. ..
- Blake S, Stannard K, Liu J, Allen S, Yong M, Mittal D, et al. Suppression of Metastases Using a New Lymphocyte Checkpoint Target for Cancer Immunotherapy. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:446-59 pubmed publisher..Targeting host CD96 is shown to complement surgery and conventional immune checkpoint blockade. ..
- Ngiow S, Loi S, Thomas D, Smyth M. Mouse Models of Tumor Immunotherapy. Adv Immunol. 2016;130:1-24 pubmed publisher..We will also highlight some recent advances in experimental modeling of human malignancies in mice that are leading towards personalized therapy in patients. ..
- Austin R, Smyth M, Lane S. Harnessing the immune system in acute myeloid leukaemia. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;103:62-77 pubmed publisher..Understanding immune responses to AML has implications for the development and use of immunotherapies to treat AML patients with distinct genetic abnormalities. ..
- Guillerey C, Nakamura K, Vuckovic S, Hill G, Smyth M. Immune responses in multiple myeloma: role of the natural immune surveillance and potential of immunotherapies. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016;73:1569-89 pubmed publisher..Finally, we detail the numerous promising immune-targeting strategies approved or in clinical trials for the treatment of MM. ..
- Blake S, Dougall W, Miles J, Teng M, Smyth M. Molecular Pathways: Targeting CD96 and TIGIT for Cancer Immunotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:5183-5188 pubmed..This review will examine the rationale behind targeting CD96 and TIGIT, and discuss the potential approaches in translating these preclinical findings into novel clinical agents. Clin Cancer Res; 22(21); 5183-8. ©2016 AACR. ..
- Young A, Mittal D, Stagg J, Smyth M. Targeting cancer-derived adenosine: new therapeutic approaches. Cancer Discov. 2014;4:879-88 pubmed publisher..This brief review delineates the current treatment strategies and tumor subtypes that will benefit from targeting adenosinergic pathways, alone or in combination with contemporary approaches to cancer treatment. ..
- Martinet L, Ferrari de Andrade L, Guillerey C, Lee J, Liu J, Souza Fonseca Guimaraes F, et al. DNAM-1 expression marks an alternative program of NK cell maturation. Cell Rep. 2015;11:85-97 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data reveal the existence of a functional program of NK cell maturation marked by DNAM-1 expression. ..
- Young A, Ngiow S, Gao Y, Patch A, Barkauskas D, Messaoudene M, et al. A2AR Adenosine Signaling Suppresses Natural Killer Cell Maturation in the Tumor Microenvironment. Cancer Res. 2018;78:1003-1016 pubmed publisher..b>Significance: Ablating adenosine signaling is found to promote natural killer cell maturation and antitumor immunity and reduce tumor growth. Cancer Res; 78(4); 1003-16. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Ngiow S, Young A, Jacquelot N, Yamazaki T, Enot D, Zitvogel L, et al. A Threshold Level of Intratumor CD8+ T-cell PD1 Expression Dictates Therapeutic Response to Anti-PD1. Cancer Res. 2015;75:3800-11 pubmed publisher..Our analyses provide a framework to interrogate intratumor CD8(+) T-cell PD1 and immune PDL1 levels and response in human cancer. ..
- Young A, Ngiow S, Madore J, Reinhardt J, Landsberg J, Chitsazan A, et al. Targeting Adenosine in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma Reduces Tumor Growth and Metastasis. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4684-4696 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that targeting adenosine may enhance therapeutic responses for melanoma patients receiving targeted or immune-based therapies. Cancer Res; 77(17); 4684-96. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Ahern E, Harjunpää H, Barkauskas D, Allen S, Takeda K, Yagita H, et al. Co-administration of RANKL and CTLA4 Antibodies Enhances Lymphocyte-Mediated Antitumor Immunity in Mice. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23:5789-5801 pubmed publisher..i>Clin Cancer Res; 23(19); 5789-801. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Mittal D, Caramia F, Michiels S, Joensuu H, Kellokumpu Lehtinen P, Sotiriou C, et al. Improved Treatment of Breast Cancer with Anti-HER2 Therapy Requires Interleukin-21 Signaling in CD8+ T Cells. Cancer Res. 2016;76:264-74 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings suggest that elevating IL21 signaling may enhance trastuzumab efficacy, thus constituting a novel candidate strategy to overcome trastuzumab resistance and improve patient survival. Cancer ..
- Young A, Ngiow S, Barkauskas D, Sult E, Hay C, Blake S, et al. Co-inhibition of CD73 and A2AR Adenosine Signaling Improves Anti-tumor Immune Responses. Cancer Cell. 2016;30:391-403 pubmed publisher..In a two-way mixed leukocyte reaction using a fully human anti-CD73, we demonstrated that Fc receptor binding augmented the production of proinflammatory cytokines. ..
- Teng M, Khanna R, Smyth M. Checkpoint Immunotherapy: Picking a Winner. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:818-20 pubmed publisher..Cancer Discov; 6(8); 818-20. ©2016 AACR.See related article by Chen et al., p. 827. ..