Affiliation: University of Ljubljana
- Taxonomy and phylogeny of the xerophilic genus Wallemia (Wallemiomycetes and Wallemiales, cl. et ord. nov.)Polona Zalar
Biotechnical Faculty, Biology Department, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, SI 1000, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 87:311-28. 2005..sebi and W. muriae in numerous nucleotides of the SSU and ITS rDNA. This high variation within Wallemia indicates existence of at least two cryptic genera not distinguishable by morphological characters...
- Dishwashers--a man-made ecological niche accommodating human opportunistic fungal pathogensP Zalar
Biology Department, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Fungal Biol 115:997-1007. 2011..We conclude that high temperature, high moisture and alkaline pH values typically occurring in dishwashers can provide an alternative habitat for species also known to be pathogenic to humans...
- Low water activity induces the production of bioactive metabolites in halophilic and halotolerant fungiKristina Sepcic
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Mar Drugs 9:43-58. 2011..The active extracts exclusively affected the growth of the Gram-positive bacterium tested, Bacillus subtilis. None of the extracts tested showed inhibition of acetylcholinesterase activity...
- Extremotolerance in fungi: evolution on the edgeCene Gostincar
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 71:2-11. 2010..These processes are important for understanding the evolution of extremophiles; moreover, they have implications for the emergence of novel fungal pathogens...
- Four new species of Emericella from the Mediterranean region of EuropePolona Zalar
University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Biology Department, Vecna pot 111, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Mycologia 100:779-95. 2008..olivicola produced numerous extrolites such as arugosin E, siderin, shamixanthone, sterigmatocystin, terrein, varitriols and aflatoxin B1, of which the latter was detected only in one of the two strains...
- The mycobiota of the salternsJanja Zajc
Biology Department, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, Ljubljana, SI 1000, Slovenia
Prog Mol Subcell Biol 53:133-58. 2012....
- The genus Eurotium - members of indigenous fungal community in hypersaline waters of salternsLorena Butinar
National Institute of Chemistry, Laboratory of Biotechnology, Hajdrihova 19, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 51:155-66. 2005..herbariorum, and E. repens contribute to the indigenous fungal community in hypersaline water environments, while E. rubrum, E. chevalieri and "E. halotolerans" are only temporal inhabitants of brine at lower salinities...