Affiliation: University of Ljubljana
- Genome sequencing of four Aureobasidium pullulans varieties: biotechnological potential, stress tolerance, and description of new speciesCene Gostincar
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, Ljubljana SI 1000, Slovenia
BMC Genomics 15:549. 2014..It can cause opportunistic human infections, and it inhabits various extreme environments. To promote the understanding of these traits, we performed de-novo genome sequencing of the four varieties of A. pullulans...
- Phylogeny and ecology of the ubiquitous saprobe Cladosporium sphaerospermum, with descriptions of seven new species from hypersaline environmentsP Zalar
Biotechnical Faculty, Department of Biology, Vecna pot 111, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Stud Mycol 58:157-83. 2007..herbarum. Cladosporium langeronii (= Hormodendrum langeronii) previously described as a pathogen on human skin, is halotolerant but has not yet been recorded from hypersaline environments...
- Taxonomy and phylogeny of the xerophilic genus Wallemia (Wallemiomycetes and Wallemiales, cl. et ord. nov.)Polona Zalar
Biotechnical Faculty, Biology Department, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, SI 1000, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 87:311-28. 2005..sebi and W. muriae in numerous nucleotides of the SSU and ITS rDNA. This high variation within Wallemia indicates existence of at least two cryptic genera not distinguishable by morphological characters...
- Dishwashers--a man-made ecological niche accommodating human opportunistic fungal pathogensP Zalar
Biology Department, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Fungal Biol 115:997-1007. 2011..We conclude that high temperature, high moisture and alkaline pH values typically occurring in dishwashers can provide an alternative habitat for species also known to be pathogenic to humans...
- Low water activity induces the production of bioactive metabolites in halophilic and halotolerant fungiKristina Sepcic
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Mar Drugs 9:43-58. 2011..The active extracts exclusively affected the growth of the Gram-positive bacterium tested, Bacillus subtilis. None of the extracts tested showed inhibition of acetylcholinesterase activity...
- Four new species of Emericella from the Mediterranean region of EuropePolona Zalar
University of Ljubljana, Biotechnical Faculty, Biology Department, Vecna pot 111, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Mycologia 100:779-95. 2008..olivicola produced numerous extrolites such as arugosin E, siderin, shamixanthone, sterigmatocystin, terrein, varitriols and aflatoxin B1, of which the latter was detected only in one of the two strains...
- Extremotolerance in fungi: evolution on the edgeCene Gostincar
Department of Biology, Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 71:2-11. 2010..These processes are important for understanding the evolution of extremophiles; moreover, they have implications for the emergence of novel fungal pathogens...
- The genus Eurotium - members of indigenous fungal community in hypersaline waters of salternsLorena Butinar
National Institute of Chemistry, Laboratory of Biotechnology, Hajdrihova 19, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 51:155-66. 2005..herbariorum, and E. repens contribute to the indigenous fungal community in hypersaline water environments, while E. rubrum, E. chevalieri and "E. halotolerans" are only temporal inhabitants of brine at lower salinities...
- The mycobiota of the salternsJanja Zajc
Biology Department, University of Ljubljana, Vecna pot 111, Ljubljana, SI 1000, Slovenia
Prog Mol Subcell Biol 53:133-58. 2012....