- Lim M, Gazzard G, Sim E, Tong L, Saw S. Direct costs of myopia in Singapore. Eye (Lond). 2009;23:1086-9 pubmed publisher..03). The mean annual direct cost of myopia for Singapore school children was S$221.68 (US$148) and the median, S$125.00 (US$83.33) per subject. Myopia is associated with significant financial burden in Singapore. ..
- Lim L, Gazzard G, Chan Y, Fong A, Kotecha A, Sim E, et al. Corneal biomechanics, thickness and optic disc morphology in children with optic disc tilt. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008;92:1461-6 pubmed publisher..Central corneal thickness is correlated with disc area in Singaporean schoolchildren with tilted discs. This relationship may influence glaucoma risk in myopic subjects. ..
- Chia A, Gazzard G, Tong L, Zhang X, Sim E, Fong A, et al. Red-green colour blindness in Singaporean children. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2008;36:464-7 pubmed..Although the Ishihara test proved useful in identifying colour-blind children, other tests are required to accurately classify the types of red-green colour blindness in these children. ..
- Riau A, Wong T, Beuerman R, Tong L. Calcium-binding S100 protein expression in pterygium. Mol Vis. 2009;15:335-42 pubmed..The aim of this study was to investigate the presence of various S100 proteins in pterygium compared to normal conjunctiva...
- Lim L, Saw S, Jeganathan V, Tay W, Aung T, Tong L, et al. Distribution and determinants of ocular biometric parameters in an Asian population: the Singapore Malay eye study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:103-9 pubmed publisher..Age, sex, and stature were the most consistent predictors of the results of ocular biometry in the Singapore Malay adult population. ..
- Lim A, Wenk M, Tong L. Lipid-Based Therapy for Ocular Surface Inflammation and Disease. Trends Mol Med. 2015;21:736-748 pubmed publisher..Recent advances in the use of lipids as ocular drug delivery vehicles, antioxidants, and diagnostic markers are discussed. ..
- Yeo S, Tong L. Coping with dry eyes: a qualitative approach. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:8 pubmed publisher..Holistic coping strategies were found to be prominent in dry eye sufferers from these focus groups, and people tend to find personalised ways of coping with the impact of dry eye on daily living. ..
- Tong L, Beuerman R, Simonyi S, Hollander D, Stern M. Effects of Punctal Occlusion on Clinical Signs and Symptoms and on Tear Cytokine Levels in Patients with Dry Eye. Ocul Surf. 2016;14:233-41 pubmed publisher..However, insertion of punctal plugs had minimal effect on tear cytokines and MMP-9 levels, suggesting a need for earlier treatment with anti-inflammatory agents for management of dry eye disease. ..
- Chong P, Yeo S, Too C, Boo C, Tong L. Effects of wearing a daily disposable lens on tear film: a randomised controlled trial. Clin Exp Optom. 2016;99:241-7 pubmed publisher..In this short-term study, there was no evidence of significant benefit of lens solutions containing alginic acid used with HEMA lenses. ..
- Hou A, Law K, Tin M, Lim Y, Tong L. In vitro secretomics study of pterygium-derived fibroblasts by iTRAQ-based quantitative proteomics strategy. Exp Eye Res. 2016;153:14-22 pubmed publisher..These molecules identified may serve as extracellular ligands to activate intracellular pathways, possibly serving as potential therapeutic targets. ..
- Man R, Veerappan A, Tan S, Fenwick E, Sabanayagam C, Chua J, et al. Incidence and risk factors of symptomatic dry eye disease in Asian Malays from the Singapore Malay Eye Study. Ocul Surf. 2017;15:742-748 pubmed publisher..Risk factors for incident SDED were different between men and women. Future studies and public health interventions should consider this gender-specific difference in risk factors. ..