Lisa F P Ng
- Roques P, Thiberville S, Dupuis Maguiraga L, Lum F, Labadie K, Martinon F, et al. Paradoxical Effect of Chloroquine Treatment in Enhancing Chikungunya Virus Infection. Viruses. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..In patients, curative chloroquine treatment during the acute phase decreases the levels of key cytokines, and thus may delay adaptive immune responses, as observed in NHPs, without any suppressive effect on peripheral viral load. ..
- Lee C, Ng L. Zika virus: from an obscurity to a priority. Microbes Infect. 2018;20:635-645 pubmed publisher..This review thus aims to provide a concise yet extensive update on current ZIKV studies. ..
- Lee W, Teo T, Her Z, Lum F, Kam Y, Haase D, et al. Expanding regulatory T cells alleviates chikungunya virus-induced pathology in mice. J Virol. 2015;89:7893-7904 pubmed..This is the first evidence where the role of Tregs is demonstrated in CHIKV pathogenesis and its expansion could control virus-mediated immunopathology. ..
- Lum F, Ng L. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of chikungunya pathogenesis. Antiviral Res. 2015;120:165-74 pubmed publisher..This article forms part of a symposium in Antiviral Research on "Chikungunya discovers the New World." ..
- Fong S, Kini R, Ng L. Mosquito Saliva Reshapes Alphavirus Infection and Immunopathogenesis. J Virol. 2018;92: pubmed publisher..Identifying the roles of mosquito-derived factors in alphavirus pathogenesis will generate novel tools to circumvent and control mosquito-borne alphavirus infections in humans. ..
- Abu Bakar F, Ng L. Nonstructural Proteins of Alphavirus-Potential Targets for Drug Development. Viruses. 2018;10: pubmed publisher..We also summarize recent structural data of these viral targets and discuss how these could serve as templates to facilitate structure-based drug design and development of small molecule inhibitors. ..
- Judice C, Tan J, Parise P, Kam Y, Milanez G, Leite J, et al. Efficient detection of Zika virus RNA in patients' blood from the 2016 outbreak in Campinas, Brazil. Sci Rep. 2018;8:4012 pubmed publisher..770) and blood (Îºappaâ€‰=â€‰0.825) samples. Improved availability of validated diagnostic tests, such ZIKV NS5 qRT-PCR, will be critical to ensure adequate and accurate ZIKV diagnosis. ..
- Lum F, Couderc T, Chia B, Ong R, Her Z, Chow A, et al. Antibody-mediated enhancement aggravates chikungunya virus infection and disease severity. Sci Rep. 2018;8:1860 pubmed publisher..These observations provide the first evidence of antibody-mediated enhancement in CHIKV infection and pathogenesis and could also be relevant for other important arboviruses such as Zika virus. ..
- Teo T, Her Z, Tan J, Lum F, Lee W, Chan Y, et al. Caribbean and La RÃ©union Chikungunya Virus Isolates Differ in Their Capacity To Induce Proinflammatory Th1 and NK Cell Responses and Acute Joint Pathology. J Virol. 2015;89:7955-69 pubmed publisher..Given the limited information regarding the sequela of Caribbean CHIKV infection, our study is timely and will aid the understanding of this increasingly important disease. ..
- Her Z, Teng T, Tan J, Teo T, Kam Y, Lum F, et al. Loss of TLR3 aggravates CHIKV replication and pathology due to an altered virus-specific neutralizing antibody response. EMBO Mol Med. 2015;7:24-41 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a key role for TLR3-mediated antibody response to CHIKV infection, virus replication and pathology, providing a basis for future development of immunotherapeutics in vaccine development. ..
- Tan J, Balne P, Leo Y, Tong L, Ng L, Agrawal R. Persistence of Zika virus in conjunctival fluid of convalescence patients. Sci Rep. 2017;7:11194 pubmed publisher..2 to 9.3 copies respectively. ZIKAV could persist in the tears of infected patients for up to 30 days post-illness, and may therefore possess a potential public health risk of transmission. ..
- Ng L. Immunopathology of Chikungunya Virus Infection: Lessons Learned from Patients and Animal Models. Annu Rev Virol. 2017;4:413-427 pubmed publisher..Understanding key cellular factors in CHIKV infection and the interplay with the immune system will aid in the development of preventive and therapeutic approaches to combat this painful viral disease in humans. ..