Affiliation: National University of Singapore
- Prognostic significance of thymidylate synthase, dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase and thymidine phosphorylase protein expression in colorectal cancer patients treated with or without 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapyR Soong
Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ann Oncol 19:915-9. 2008..It is unclear whether this occurs because such tumours have better prognosis or they are more sensitive to 5-FU treatment...
- The expression of RUNX3 in colorectal cancer is associated with disease stage and patient outcomeR Soong
Oncology Research Institute, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Cancer 100:676-9. 2009..025). These results support a role for RUNX3 as a tumour suppressor in colorectal cancer...
- Advances and challenges in fluoropyrimidine pharmacogenomics and pharmacogeneticsRichie Soong
National University of Singapore, Oncology Research Institute and Department of Pathology, 10 Medical Drive, MD11 Level 5, Singapore 117597, Republic of Singapore
Pharmacogenomics 6:835-47. 2005..In this article, the current trends in FP pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics are reviewed based on the advances made to date and the challenges faced in realizing their full potential...
- Denaturing high performance liquid chromatography for the detection of microsatellite instability using bethesda and pentaplex marker panelsRichie Soong
Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 117456 Singapore
Diagn Mol Pathol 17:127-33. 2008..In conclusion, DHPLC provides a sensitive and specific alternative for routine MSI analysis that is free of the stutter peaks observed with CE and which can be used with either the Bethesda or pentaplex mononucleotide marker panels...
- KRAS and BRAF mutation analysis can be reliably performed on aspirated cytological specimens of metastatic colorectal carcinomaN K B Pang
Divisions of Cytopathology, Department of Pathology, National University Health System, Singapore
Cytopathology 22:358-64. 2011..Most analyses are made on pretreatment biopsy or resection specimens. There is a scarcity of published studies on the suitability of cytological samples for KRAS testing in this setting...
- Tissue microarrays characterise the clinical significance of a VEGF-A protein expression signature in gastrointestinal stromal tumoursM Salto-Tellez
Department of Pathology, Yong Loo Lin Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore
Br J Cancer 96:776-82. 2007....
- RUNX3 protein is overexpressed in human basal cell carcinomasM Salto-Tellez
Department of Pathology, National University Hospital, Yong Loo Lin Medical School, National University of Singapore NUS, Singapore, Singapore
Oncogene 25:7646-9. 2006..Our results indicate that although the deregulation of Wnt signalling could contribute to the pathogenesis of a subset of BCC, RUNX3 appears to be a universal downstream mediator of a constitutively active Shh pathway in BCC...
- Genetic factors associated with intestinal metaplasia in a high risk Singapore-Chinese population: a cohort studyFeng Zhu
Department of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
BMC Gastroenterol 9:76. 2009..A total of 18 polymorphisms in 14 candidate genes were evaluated in a Singapore-Chinese population at high risk of developing GC...
- Meta-analysis of genetic polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: variability in associations according to raceMarie Loh
Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, National University of Singapore, 28 Medical Drive, Center of Life Science Level 2, Singapore 117456, Singapore
Eur J Cancer 45:2562-8. 2009..Consolidated panels of polymorphisms associated with gastric cancer risk were identified in Asians and Caucasians. The results caution against the assumption that genetic risk factors are consistent between races...
- CD133 expression predicts for non-response to chemotherapy in colorectal cancerChee W Ong
Department of Pathology, National University Health System and Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
Mod Pathol 23:450-7. 2010..Our results show for the first time that CD133+ colorectal tumors are more resistant to 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy...
- The positive impact of cytological specimens for EGFR mutation testing in non-small cell lung cancer: a single South East Asian laboratory's analysis of 670 casesB Pang
Cancer Science Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore City, Singapore
Cytopathology 23:229-36. 2012..To assess the association between unsatisfactory outcomes and the quantity of DNA extracted from cytological versus histological samples...
- Detection of BRAF V600E mutation by pyrosequencingYi Hui Tan
Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Pathology 40:295-8. 2008..Here we describe a method for detecting this mutation based upon pyrosequencing technology...
- A warfarin-dosing model in Asians that uses single-nucleotide polymorphisms in vitamin K epoxide reductase complex and cytochrome P450 2C9Lai San Tham
Department of Haematology Oncology, National University Hospital, and Translational Interface, Oncology Research Institute, Singapore
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:346-55. 2006..The aims of this study were to derive a pharmacogenetics-based dosing algorithm by use of retrospective information and to validate it through a data-splitting method in a separate cohort of equal size...
- RUNX3 inactivation by frequent promoter hypermethylation and protein mislocalization constitute an early event in breast cancer progressionManish Mani Subramaniam
Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Breast Cancer Res Treat 113:113-21. 2009..Here, we hypothesize that inactivation of RUNX3 occurring in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) represent early event in breast carcinogenesis...
- MicroRNA-130b regulates the tumour suppressor RUNX3 in gastric cancerKin Wai Lai
Cancer Science Institute of Singapore, Centre for Life Sciences 02 15, 28 Medical Drive, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117456, Singapore
Eur J Cancer 46:1456-63. 2010..Accumulating evidence indicates that RUNX3 is an important tumour suppressor that is inactivated in many cancer types. This study aimed to assess the role of microRNA (miRNA) in the regulation of RUNX3...
- Pharmacodynamic effects of seliciclib, an orally administered cell cycle modulator, in undifferentiated nasopharyngeal cancerWen Son Hsieh
Department of Hematology Oncology, National University Hospital, Oncology Research Institute, School of Computing, and Department of Head and Neck Surgery, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Clin Cancer Res 15:1435-42. 2009..The pharmacodynamic effects of seliciclib, a cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor, were studied in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma...
- RUNX3 inactivation in colorectal polyps arising through different pathways of colonic carcinogenesisManish M Subramaniam
Faculty of Medicine, Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Am J Gastroenterol 104:426-36. 2009..We hypothesized that RUNX3 inactivation by promoter hypermethylation in colorectal polyps is an early molecular event in colorectal carcinogenesis...
- Interethnic variability of warfarin maintenance requirement is explained by VKORC1 genotype in an Asian populationSoo Chin Lee
Department of Haematology Oncology, National University Hospital, Oncology Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:197-205. 2006..Vitamin K epoxide reductase complex 1 (VKORC1) is the target enzyme of warfarin, and VKORC1 intronic variants and haplotypes have recently been shown to influence VKORC1 activity and warfarin requirements...
- Detection of epidermal growth factor receptor variations by partially denaturing HPLCTan Min Chin
Department of Haematology and Oncology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Clin Chem 53:62-70. 2007..We have developed a partially denaturing HPLC (pDHPLC) assay that is superior to direct sequencing with respect to detection limits, costs, and time requirements...
- Implications of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase on 5-fluorouracil pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomicsLori K Mattison
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Room 101, Volker Hall, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Pharmacogenomics 3:485-92. 2002..This article reviews the basis and discusses the challenges of pharmacogenetic and pharmacogenomic testing of DPD for the determination of 5-FU efficacy and toxicity...
- Identification of potentially useful combinations of epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase antagonists with conventional cytotoxic agents using median effect analysisDaniel R Budman
Experimental Therapeutics Section, Don Monti Division of Oncology, North Shore University Hospital, New York University, Manhasset, NY, USA
Anticancer Drugs 17:921-8. 2006..These experiments suggest further studies of the dual kinase inhibitor with selected cytotoxics such as 5'-deoxy-5-fluorouridine are warranted...
- Quantification of CK20 gene and protein expression in colorectal cancer by RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry reveals inter- and intratumour heterogeneitySilke Lassmann
Pathologisches Institut, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, Albertstrasse 19, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Pathol 198:198-206. 2002..This suggests a promising supportive role for quantitative RT-PCR in molecular pathology...
- Capecitabine induces rapid, sustained response in two patients with extensive oral verrucous carcinomaAnastasios Salesiotis
Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington DC 20007, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:580-5. 2003..We describe rapid and dramatic response to oral capecitabine in two patients with advanced refractory VC...
- Improved indicators for assessing the reliability of detection and quantification by kinetic PCRRichie Soong
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Clin Chem 49:973-6. 2003
- E1A-F is overexpressed early in human colorectal neoplasia and associated with cyclooxygenase-2 and matrix metalloproteinase-7William M Boedefeld
Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35243, USA
Mol Carcinog 43:13-7. 2005..These results suggest E1A-F is overexpressed in early stages of human CRC development and may be an important factor in the overexpression of COX-2 and MMP-7...
- Simultaneous detection of variable number tandem repeats, single nucleotide polymorphisms, and allelic imbalance in the thymidylate synthase gene enhancer region using denaturing high-performance liquid chromatographyHany Ezzeldin
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Anal Biochem 334:276-83. 2004..This DHPLC method was developed to permit the rapid, sensitive, and accurate identification of the TSER genotype (VNTRs, SNPs, and AI) in clinical protocols where response to flouropyrimidines may be correlated with TSER polymorphisms...
- Dasatinib induces a response in malignant thymomaCharles Chuah
J Clin Oncol 24:e56-8. 2006
- An improved quality control for bisulfite-PCR-based DNA methylation analysis: cycle threshold valuePei Woon Ang
School of Surgery, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
Clin Chem Lab Med 46:1117-21. 2008..Here, we tested whether cycle threshold (Ct) values from real-time quantitative PCR correlate better with the reliability of bisulfite-PCR methylation analyses than spectrophotometric concentrations...
- Tumor-associated down-regulation of 15-lipoxygenase-1 is reversed by celecoxib in colorectal cancerMartin J Heslin
Surgical Oncology Research Laboratory, Section of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Ann Surg 241:941-6; discussion 946-7. 2005..Also, to evaluate the expression of 15-LOX-1 in human normal mucosa, adenoma, and carcinoma with correlation to overall survival...
- Phase II evaluation of docetaxel-modulated capecitabine in previously treated patients with non-small cell lung cancerTamila Kindwall-Keller
Division of Hematology Oncology, Arthur G James Cancer Hospital, Ohio State University, 320 West Tenth Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:1870-6. 2005....
- Suppression of DPYD expression in RKO cells via DNA methylation in the regulatory region of the DPYD promoter: a potentially important epigenetic mechanism regulating DPYD expressionXue Zhang
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Biochem Cell Biol 85:337-46. 2007..This may also provide insight into the mechanism underlying the downregulation of DPYD in some colorectal cancers...
- Effect of blood sample handling and reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assay sensitivity on detection of CK20 expression in healthy donor bloodFemke Vlems
Department of Surgery, UMC St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Diagn Mol Pathol 11:90-7. 2002..Quantitative analysis revealed that CK20 was expressed at a high level in the granulocyte samples. The results demonstrate that differences in assay sensitivity and sample handling influence CK20 detection in blood...