Shao Quan Liu
Affiliation: National University of Singapore
- Lu Y, Voon M, Huang D, Lee P, Liu S. Combined effects of fermentation temperature and pH on kinetic changes of chemical constituents of durian wine fermented with Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:3005-3014 pubmed publisher..This study illustrated that temperature control would be a more effective tool than pH in modulating the resulting aroma compound profile of durian wine. ..
- Vong W, Au Yang K, Liu S. Okara (soybean residue) biotransformation by yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Int J Food Microbiol. 2016;235:1-9 pubmed publisher..Y. lipolytica was thus demonstrated to be suitable for the biovalorisation of this soy food processing by-product. ..
- Lee L, Cheong M, Curran P, Yu B, Liu S. Modulation of coffee aroma via the fermentation of green coffee beans with Rhizopus oligosporus: II. Effects of different roast levels. Food Chem. 2016;211:925-36 pubmed publisher..This work aims to develop a direct but novel methodology for coffee aroma modulation through green coffee beans fermentation. ..
- Lee L, Cheong M, Curran P, Yu B, Liu S. Modulation of coffee aroma via the fermentation of green coffee beans with Rhizopus oligosporus: I. Green coffee. Food Chem. 2016;211:916-24 pubmed publisher..Hence, the work presented demonstrated that R. oligosporus fermentation of green coffee beans could induce modification of the aroma precursors of green coffees. ..
- Taniasuri F, Lee P, Liu S. Induction of simultaneous and sequential malolactic fermentation in durian wine. Int J Food Microbiol. 2016;230:1-9 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate that MLF is an effective and novel way of modulating the volatile and aroma compound profile of durian wine. ..
- Lu Y, Chua J, Huang D, Lee P, Liu S. Biotransformation of chemical constituents of durian wine with simultaneous alcoholic fermentation by Torulaspora delbrueckii and malolactic fermentation by Oenococcus oeni. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:8877-88 pubmed publisher..This study suggested that the simultaneous AF and MLF of non-Saccharomyces and LAB could modify the volatile compositions and potentially modulate the organoleptic properties of durian wine. ..
- Lu Y, Chua J, Huang D, Lee P, Liu S. Chemical consequences of three commercial strains of Oenococcus oeni co-inoculated with Torulaspora delbrueckii in durian wine fermentation. Food Chem. 2017;215:209-18 pubmed publisher..delbrueckii for simultaneous alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in durian wine by contributing moderately increased concentrations of higher alcohols, acetate esters and ethyl esters that would have positive sensory impacts. ..
- Liu S, Tsao M. Inhibition of spoilage yeasts in cheese by killer yeast Williopsis saturnus var. saturnus. Int J Food Microbiol. 2009;131:280-2 pubmed publisher..This study indicated that W. saturnus var. saturnus could be an effective biopreservative for cheese spoilage control. ..
- Vong W, Lim X, Liu S. Biotransformation with cellulase, hemicellulase and Yarrowia lipolytica boosts health benefits of okara. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:7129-7140 pubmed publisher..The overall improvements in the digestibility and potential health benefits of okara highlight the promising applicability of biotransformation in okara valorisation. ..
- Lu Y, Voon M, Chua J, Huang D, Lee P, Liu S. The effects of co- and sequential inoculation of Torulaspora delbrueckii and Pichia kluyveri on chemical compositions of durian wine. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:7853-7863 pubmed publisher..This study suggested that Co-I could complete alcoholic fermentation with more complex aromas and might be novel way for wine making. ..
- Chua J, Lu Y, Liu S. Biotransformation of soy whey into soy alcoholic beverage by four commercial strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;262:14-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, alcoholic fermentation would serve as a solution toward zero-waste manufacturing by biotransforming soy whey into a world's first novel functional alcoholic beverage naturally enriched with free isoflavones. ..
- Lu Y, Putra S, Liu S. A novel non-dairy beverage from durian pulp fermented with selected probiotics and yeast. Int J Food Microbiol. 2018;265:1-8 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the use of probiotics and W. saturnus to ferment durian pulp could act as a potential avenue to develop a novel non-dairy durian-based functional beverage to deliver probiotics. ..
- Chen D, Chia J, Liu S. Impact of addition of aromatic amino acids on non-volatile and volatile compounds in lychee wine fermented with Saccharomyces cerevisiae MERIT.ferm. Int J Food Microbiol. 2014;170:12-20 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that selectively adding amino acids may be used as a tool to modulate the volatile profile of lychee wines so as to diversify and/or intensify wine flavour and style...
- Liu S, Tsao M. Enhancement of survival of probiotic and non-probiotic lactic acid bacteria by yeasts in fermented milk under non-refrigerated conditions. Int J Food Microbiol. 2009;135:34-8 pubmed publisher..However, the molecular mechanism of such interaction of yeasts with LAB remains to be found. ..
- Toh M, Liu S. Influence of commercial inactivated yeast derivatives on the survival of probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 in an acidic environment. AMB Express. 2017;7:156 pubmed publisher..These results suggests that oenological IYDs could potentially be applied to probiotic foods for enhancing the acid tolerance of the beneficial microorganisms, and consequently prolonging the shelf life of these products. ..