Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: National Cancer Centre
- Huynh H, Ngo V, Fargnoli J, Ayers M, Soo K, Koong H, et al. Brivanib alaninate, a dual inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor tyrosine kinases, induces growth inhibition in mouse models of human hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:6146-53 pubmed publisher..This study provides a strong rationale for clinical investigation of brivanib in patients with HCC. ..
- Fong E, Toh T, Lin Q, Liu Z, Hooi L, Mohd Abdul Rashid M, et al. Generation of matched patient-derived xenograft in vitro-in vivo models using 3D macroporous hydrogels for the study of liver cancer. Biomaterials. 2018;159:229-240 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate the feasibility of using these in vitro HCC-PDX models for drug testing, paving the way for more efficient preclinical studies in HCC drug development. ..
- Hung H. Inhibition of estrogen receptor alpha expression and function in MCF-7 cells by kaempferol. J Cell Physiol. 2004;198:197-208 pubmed..These findings suggest that modulation of ER-alpha expression and function by kaempferol may be, in part, responsible for its anti-proliferative effects seen in in vitro. ..
- Hung H. Suppression of ps20 expression in the rat uterus by tamoxifen and estrogens. Endocrinology. 2005;146:2388-96 pubmed..The data indicate that ps20 expression is negatively regulated by estrogens and tamoxifen and suggest that ps20 may function as a mediator of local growth. ..
- Huynh H, Ng C, Ong C, Lim K, Chan T. Cloning and characterization of a novel pregnancy-induced growth inhibitor in mammary gland. Endocrinology. 2001;142:3607-15 pubmed..These observations led to speculation that OKL38 may play a vital role in the growth regulation and differentiation of breast epithelial cells during pregnancy and its implications in tumorigenesis. ..
- Huynh H. Overexpression of tumour suppressor retinoblastoma 2 protein (pRb2/p130) in hepatocellular carcinoma. Carcinogenesis. 2004;25:1485-94 pubmed..Overexpression of pRb2/p130 in HCC was, therefore, suggested to be a programmed protective response of the organism to uncontrolled proliferation. ..
- Huynh H, Nguyen T, Chan E, Tran E. Inhibition of ErbB-2 and ErbB-3 expression by quercetin prevents transforming growth factor alpha (TGF-alpha)- and epidermal growth factor (EGF)-induced human PC-3 prostate cancer cell proliferation. Int J Oncol. 2003;23:821-9 pubmed..Since ErbB receptor is important for growth, metastasis and drug resistance, inhibition of ErbB-2 and ErbB-3 by pharmacological doses of quercetin may provide a new approach for treatment of prostate cancers. ..
- Huynh H, Chow P, Ooi L, Soo K. A possible role for insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 autocrine/paracrine loops in controlling hepatocellular carcinoma cell proliferation. Cell Growth Differ. 2002;13:115-22 pubmed..Our data indicate that loss of autocrine/paracrine IGFBP-3 loops may lead to HCC tumor growth and suggest that modulating production of the IGFs, IGFBP-3, and IGF-IR may represent a novel approach in the treatment of HCC. ..
- Huynh H, Alpert L, Alaoui Jamali M, Ng C, Chan T. Co-administration of finasteride and the pure anti-oestrogen ICI 182,780 act synergistically in modulating the IGF system in rat prostate. J Endocrinol. 2001;171:109-18 pubmed..These observations support a potential use of ICI in conjunction with finasteride in the prevention and/or treatment of prostate cancer. ..