Affiliation: Nanyang Technological University
- Lu D, Sun F, Zhou Y. Insights into anaerobic transformation of key dissolved organic matters produced by thermal hydrolysis sludge pretreatment. Bioresour Technol. 2018;266:60-67 pubmed publisher..g. benzenoids, flavonoids, pyridines and their derivatives. It is recommended that polishing step should be considered to further reduce the refractory residues in AD liquor. ..
- Xiao K, Chen Y, Jiang X, Tyagi V, Zhou Y. Characterization of key organic compounds affecting sludge dewaterability during ultrasonication and acidification treatments. Water Res. 2016;105:470-478 pubmed publisher..Combined ultrasonic-acid pretreamtent was more effective than the acidification treatment alone in reducing the concentrations of macromolecular compounds that may deteriorate sludge filterability. ..
- Zhang D, Eng C, Stuckey D, Zhou Y. Effects of ZnO nanoparticle exposure on wastewater treatment and soluble microbial products (SMPs) in an anoxic-aerobic membrane bioreactor. Chemosphere. 2017;171:446-459 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the fulvic and humic acid-like compounds decreased with exposure to ZnO NPs. This work may help better understanding the effect of nanoparticle exposure on wastewater treatment performance and SMP characteristics. ..
- Xiao K, Guo C, Maspolim Y, Zhou Y, Ng W. The role of methanogens in acetic acid production under different salinity conditions. Chemosphere. 2016;161:53-60 pubmed publisher..The results would suggest the presence of methanogens in the acidogenic reactor should not be ignored and the recovery of methane from the acidogenic reactor needs to be considered to avoid carbon loss. ..
- Shen N, Zhou Y. Enhanced biological phosphorus removal with different carbon sources. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:4735-45 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, the environmental friendly and economical carbon sources that are derived from waste materials, such as crude glycerol and wasted sludge, are also discussed and compared. ..
- Xiao K, Guo C, Zhou Y, Maspolim Y, Ng W. Acetic acid effects on methanogens in the second stage of a two-stage anaerobic system. Chemosphere. 2016;144:1498-504 pubmed publisher..This study showed stepwise acclimation could be an approach to accommodate HAc accumulation and hence higher concentrations resulting from an enhanced first stage. ..
- Shen N, Chen Y, Zhou Y. Multi-cycle operation of enhanced biological phosphorus removal (EBPR) with different carbon sources under high temperature. Water Res. 2017;114:308-315 pubmed publisher..The microbial community structure was more stable in acetate-fed sequencing batch reactor (C2-SBR) than that in propionate-fed reactor (C3-SBR). Accumulibacter Clade IIC was found to be highly abundant in both reactors. ..
- Sun F, Xiao K, Zhu W, Withanage N, Zhou Y. Enhanced sludge solubilization and dewaterability by synergistic effects of nitrite and freezing. Water Res. 2018;130:208-214 pubmed publisher..As such, good liquid and solid separation can be achieved with the recovery of liquid stream as carbon source. ..
- Xiao K, Chen Y, Jiang X, Seow W, He C, Yin Y, et al. Comparison of different treatment methods for protein solubilisation from waste activated sludge. Water Res. 2017;122:492-502 pubmed publisher..The economic analysis indicated alkaline treatment at pH 12 was economically feasible with a net saving of 25.57 USD per ton wet sludge compared to conventional sludge treatment and disposal method. ..
- Thanh P, Ketheesan B, Stuckey D, Zhou Y. Effects of trace metal deficiency and supplementation on a submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactor. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:161-170 pubmed publisher..7% of added metals retained in the reactor within 24h. However, the second and third pulse at 5 and 10-times daily metal loading did not result in similar changes in metal speciation and might have inhibited the methanogens. ..
- Yan W, Shen N, Xiao Y, Chen Y, Sun F, Kumar Tyagi V, et al. The role of conductive materials in the start-up period of thermophilic anaerobic system. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:336-344 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that conductive materials could promote microbial activity and shorten start-up period for thermophilic anaerobic system. ..
- Waheed H, Xiao Y, Hashmi I, Stuckey D, Zhou Y. Insights into quorum quenching mechanisms to control membrane biofouling under changing organic loading rates. Chemosphere. 2017;182:40-47 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the pore blockage resistance became dominant in QQ MBRs (>40%). ..
- Zhou Y, Pijuan M, Oehmen A, Yuan Z. The source of reducing power in the anaerobic metabolism of polyphosphate accumulating organisms (PAOs) - a mini-review. Water Sci Technol. 2010;61:1653-62 pubmed publisher..Key factors influencing the generation of reducing power through different metabolic pathways are discussed, and further research directions are also proposed. ..
- Xiao K, Chen Y, Jiang X, Yang Q, Seow W, Zhu W, et al. Variations in physical, chemical and biological properties in relation to sludge dewaterability under Fe (II) - Oxone conditioning. Water Res. 2017;109:13-23 pubmed publisher..Combined effects from above two steps can greatly improve sludge filterability. ..
- Zhou Y, Ganda L, Lim M, Yuan Z, Ng W. Response of poly-phosphate accumulating organisms to free nitrous acid inhibition under anoxic and aerobic conditions. Bioresour Technol. 2012;116:340-7 pubmed publisher..This study, for the first time, investigated the function of nitrite/FNA in an aerobic denitrifying phosphate removal process by evaluating electron as well as energy balances, and provides explanation for FNA inhibition mechanisms...
- Chen Y, Xiao K, Jiang X, Shen N, Zeng R, Zhou Y. In-situ sludge pretreatment in a single-stage anaerobic digester. Bioresour Technol. 2017;238:102-108 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrated single-stage sludge digestion system can be successfully established at high temperature (65°C) with stable performance, which can eliminate the need of conventional thermophilic pretreatment step. ..
- Chen Y, Jiang X, Xiao K, Shen N, Zeng R, Zhou Y. Enhanced volatile fatty acids (VFAs) production in a thermophilic fermenter with stepwise pH increase - Investigation on dissolved organic matter transformation and microbial community shift. Water Res. 2017;112:261-268 pubmed publisher..This suggested that the dominance of Clostridia was highly related to acidification extent. The relative abundance of Euryarchaeota decreased significantly from 58% to 2% with increased pH. ..
- Xiao K, Chen Y, Jiang X, Zhou Y. Evaluating filterability of different types of sludge by statistical analysis: The role of key organic compounds in extracellular polymeric substances. Chemosphere. 2017;170:233-241 pubmed publisher..A numerical multiple linear regression model was established to describe relationship between organic compounds in LB EPS and sludge filterability. ..
- Zhou Y, Oehmen A, Lim M, Vadivelu V, Ng W. The role of nitrite and free nitrous acid (FNA) in wastewater treatment plants. Water Res. 2011;45:4672-82 pubmed publisher..Perspectives on research directions, how the outcomes may be used to manipulate bioprocesses and the overall implications of FNA on WWTPs are also discussed...