Affiliation: Nanyang Technological University
- Balakrishna A, Seelert H, Marx S, Dencher N, GrÃ¼ber G. Crystallographic structure of the turbine C-ring from spinach chloroplast F-ATP synthase. Biosci Rep. 2014;34: pubmed..34Â° and diffracted to 4.5 Ã… resolution. Each c-ring contains 14 monomers in the asymmetric unit. The length of the c-ring is 60.32 Ã…, with an outer ring diameter 52.30 Ã… and an inner ring width of 40 Ã…. ..
- Gruber G, Marshansky V. New insights into structure-function relationships between archeal ATP synthase (A1A0) and vacuolar type ATPase (V1V0). Bioessays. 2008;30:1096-109 pubmed publisher..This review will summarize the current knowledge on the structure, mechanism and regulation of A-ATP synthases and V-ATPases. The importance of V-ATPase in pathophysiology of diseases will be discussed. ..
- Kumar A, Balakrishna A, Nartey W, Manimekalai M, Gruber G. Redox chemistry of Mycobacterium tuberculosis alkylhydroperoxide reductase E (AhpE): Structural and mechanistic insight into a mycoredoxin-1 independent reductive pathway of AhpE via mycothiol. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016;97:588-601 pubmed publisher
- Sielaff H, Martin J, SINGH D, Biukovic G, Gruber G, Frasch W. Power Stroke Angular Velocity Profiles of Archaeal A-ATP Synthase Versus Thermophilic and Mesophilic F-ATP Synthase Molecular Motors. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:25351-25363 pubmed
- Gruber G. Structural features and nucleotide-binding capability of the C subunit are integral to the regulation of the eukaryotic V1Vo ATPases. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:883-5 pubmed..Nucleotide occupancy by subunit C, followed by conformational changes of this subunit has shed light on the mechanism of V-ATPase regulation. ..
- Ragunathan P, Sielaff H, Sundararaman L, Biukovic G, Subramanian Manimekalai M, SINGH D, et al. The uniqueness of subunit ? of mycobacterial F-ATP synthases: An evolutionary variant for niche adaptation. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11262-11279 pubmed publisher..Finally, we propose that the unique segment Mt?(514-549), which is accessible at the C terminus of mycobacterial subunit ?, is a promising drug epitope. ..
- Kumar A, Nartey W, Shin J, Manimekalai M, Gruber G. Structural and mechanistic insights into Mycothiol Disulphide Reductase and the Mycoredoxin-1-alkylhydroperoxide reductase E assembly of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:2354-2366 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis. ..
- Toh Y, Balakrishna A, Manimekalai M, Chionh B, Seetharaman R, Eisenhaber F, et al. Novel insights into the vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (V583) alkylhydroperoxide reductase subunit F. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:3201-3214 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, mutation of Y421 is described to be essential for E. faecalis AhpF's optimal NADH-oxidative activity. ..
- SINGH D, Gruber G. Crystallographic and enzymatic insights into the mechanisms of Mg-ADP inhibition in the A1 complex of the A1AO ATP synthase. J Struct Biol. 2018;201:26-35 pubmed publisher..The qualitative data are confirmed by quantitative results derived from fluorescence correlation spectroscopy experiments. ..
- Pan A, Balakrishna A, Nartey W, Kohlmeier A, Dip P, Bhushan S, et al. Atomic structure and enzymatic insights into the vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (V583) alkylhydroperoxide reductase subunit C. Free Radic Biol Med. 2018;115:252-265 pubmed publisher..Mutagenesis, enzymatic and biophysical studies reveal the effect of the unusual existence of four cysteines in EfAhpC, which might optimize the functional adaptation of the E. faecalis enzyme under various physiological conditions. ..
- Dip P, Kamariah N, Nartey W, Beushausen C, Kostyuchenko V, Ng T, et al. Key roles of the Escherichia coli AhpC C-terminus in assembly and catalysis of alkylhydroperoxide reductase, an enzyme essential for the alleviation of oxidative stress. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1837:1932-43 pubmed..Furthermore, using an ensemble of different truncated and mutated EcAhpC protein constructs the importance of the very C-terminus in AhpC activity and in AhpC-AhpF assembly has been demonstrated. ..
- Kamariah N, Eisenhaber F, Adhikari S, Eisenhaber B, Gruber G. Purification and crystallization of yeast glycosylphosphatidylinositol transamidase subunit PIG-S (PIG-S(71-467)). Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. 2011;67:896-9 pubmed publisher..2?Å resolution with 91.6% completeness. The crystals belonged to space group C2, with unit-cell parameters a = 106.72, b = 59.33, c = 124.3?Å, ? = 114.19°, and contained two molecules in the asymmetric unit. ..
- Balakrishna A, Basak S, Manimekalai M, GrÃ¼ber G. Crystal structure of subunits D and F in complex gives insight into energy transmission of the eukaryotic V-ATPase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:3183-96 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the flexibility of the terminal helices of both subunits as well as the loop (26)GQITPETQEK(35) provides information about the regulatory step of reversible V1VO disassembly. ..
- Wong C, Shin J, Subramanian Manimekalai M, Saw W, Yin Z, Bhushan S, et al. AhpC of the mycobacterial antioxidant defense system and its interaction with its reducing partner Thioredoxin-C. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5159 pubmed publisher..Since human cells lack AhpC, the unique N-terminal epitope of mycobacterial AhpC as well as the MbAhpC-TrxC interface represent an ideal drug target. ..
- GrÃ¼ber A, Manimekalai M, Balakrishna A, Hunke C, Jeyakanthan J, Preiser P, et al. Structural determination of functional units of the nucleotide binding domain (NBD94) of the reticulocyte binding protein Py235 of Plasmodium yoelii. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9146 pubmed publisher..These structures give the first insight into how nucleotide binding impacts on the overall structure of RH and demonstrates the potential use of this region as a novel drug target. ..