- Effects of different fluids on the relationship between swallowing and breathing during nutritive sucking in neonates
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, 5789 1 Heta Cho, Midori ku, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan
Biol Neonate 81:45-50. 2002
..In conclusion, expressed breast milk is suitable for neonates because better coordination between swallowing and breathing could be obtained and subclinical aspiration could be prevented...
- Changes in sucking performance from nonnutritive sucking to nutritive sucking during breast- and bottle-feeding
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan 266 0007
Pediatr Res 59:728-31. 2006
..The change in sucking pressure and duration from NNS to NS differed between breast-feeding and bottle-feeding. Even with a modified bottle and teats, bottle-feeding differs from breast-feeding...
- Effects of body position on blood gases and lung mechanics of infants with chronic lung disease during tube feeding
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Japan
Pediatr Int 41:609-14. 1999
..The effects of body position and feeding on lung mechanics and blood gases in very low birthweight infants with chronic lung disease (CLD) is not fully elucidated...
- Analysis of feeding behavior with direct linear transformation
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Japan
Early Hum Dev 82:199-204. 2006
..The sucking pattern of term infants is composed of a rhythmic alteration of expression and suction movements. The aim is to evaluate if direct linear transformation (DLT) method could be used for the assessment of infant feeding...
- Sipping/lapping is a safe alternative feeding method to suckling for preterm infants
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Acta Paediatr 94:574-80. 2005
..In addition, tongue movement was compared between sipping/lapping and suckling (bottle- and breastfeeding)...
- Neonatal feeding performance as a predictor of neurodevelopmental outcome at 18 months
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, 579 1, Heta Cho, Midori ku, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan 266 0007
Dev Med Child Neurol 47:299-304. 2005
..The sensitivity and specificity of feeding assessment were higher than those of ultrasound assessment. Neonatal feeding performance is, therefore, of prognostic value in detecting future developmental problems...
- Mother-infant skin-to-skin contact after delivery results in early recognition of own mother's milk odour
Division of Neonatology, Chiba Children s Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Acta Paediatr 93:1640-5. 2004
..To determine the effects of mother-infant skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth on infant recognition of their own mother's milk odour and breastfeeding duration until 1 y of age...
- Antenatal olfactory learning influences infant feeding
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, 579 1, Heta Cho, Midori, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan
Early Hum Dev 76:83-90. 2004
..In conclusion, the odor preferences acquired independently from postnatal experience may have a greater effect than postnatal olfactory learning on sucking activity...
- Infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia suckle with weak pressures to maintain breathing during feeding
Showa University of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Pediatrics 120:e1035-42. 2007
..The aim of this study was to determine whether the severity of bronchopulmonary dysplasia affects not only coordination among suck-swallow-respiration but also sucking endurance and performance itself...
- Feeding behaviour of infants with cleft lip and palate
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Chiba, Chiba City, Japan
Acta Paediatr 91:1227-32. 2002
..The difference in intra-oral movements between the type-P teat, modified for the evaluation of feeding behaviour, and an unmodified type-P teat was also compared using ultrasonography...
- Development of sucking behavior in infants with Down's syndrome
Chiba Children s Hospital, Division of Neonatology, Chiba City, Japan
Acta Paediatr 90:1384-8. 2001
..This approach using the sucking pressure waveform and ultrasonography can help in the examination of the development of sucking behavior, intraoral movement and therapeutic effects...
- The effects of body positioning on sucking behaviour in sick neonates
Chiba Children s Hospital, Department of Neonatology, Japan
Eur J Pediatr 159:827-31. 2000
..05), although the minute ventilation during bottle-feeding was not different from that in the supine position. In the prone position, the sucking pressure and frequency were higher and the duration of each suck was shorter...
- Development of sucking behavior in infants who have not been fed for 2 months after birth
Department of Neonatology, Chiba Children Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Pediatr Int 43:251-5. 2001
..In the present study, we investigated whether an oral-feed practice is necessary for the development of sucking behavior and whether non-nutritive sucking could support the development of this behavior while the infants cannot be fed...
- A patient with kawasaki disease showing severe tricuspid regurgitation and left ventricular dysfunction in the acute phase
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Ohno Higashi, Osaka Sayama, Osaka 589 8511, Japan
Pediatr Cardiol 24:60-3. 2003
..With improvement of left ventricular function, the tricuspid regurgitation rapidly improved, then disappeared. There are no previous reports in the literature of KD complicated by severe tricuspid regurgitation...
- Smoking is associated with insulin resistance and cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in type 2 diabetic patients
Department of Cardiovascular Science, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, 1 1 Idaigaoka, Hasama, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Eur J Clin Invest 36:459-65. 2006
..This study tested the hypothesis that smoking is associated with insulin resistance/hyperinsulinaemia and cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in type 2 diabetic patients who are not treated with insulin...
- Acute congestive heart failure associated with a limited form of systemic sclerosis and primary biliary cirrhosis
Internal Medicine I, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama
Intern Med 40:73-6. 2001
..The present case indicates that minute care should thus be taken for the prevention of acute CHF even in patients with a limited form of SSc when thallium perfusion defects are identified...
- Clinical value of multidetector row computed tomography in detecting lymph node metastasis of early gastric cancer
Department of Surgery, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:743-8. 2005
..To evaluate the clinical value of multidetector row computed tomography (MDCT) as a pre-operative staging tool for lymph node metastasis in patients with early gastric cancer (EGC)...
- Exercise intensity based on heart rate while walking in spastic cerebral palsy
Chigasaki Shin Hokuryo Rehabilitation Hospital, Kanagawa, Japan
Bull Hosp Jt Dis 60:18-22. 2001
..The HR while walking of the two subjects rated as level 3 continued to increase although the walking speed was kept constant. The walking exercise would be too strong and become detrimental to such subjects...
- Evaluation of floating impeller phenomena in a gyro centrifugal pump
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
ASAIO J 49:744-7. 2003
..When magnet balance is proper, the floating impeller phenomenon occurs automatically in response to the impeller revolution. This is called "the dynamic revolutions per minute suspension."..