Affiliation: CSIR-Central Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
Location: Lucknow, India
- Gaur R, Kumar S, Trivedi P, Bhakuni R, Bawankule D, Pal A, et al. Liquiritigenin derivatives and their hepatotoprotective activity. Nat Prod Commun. 2010;5:1243-6 pubmed..05) when compared with the GalN/LPS group. The results revealed that isoliquiritigenin exhibited better hepatoprotective activity than liquiritigenin and its derivatives...
- Singh S, Kumar J, Saikia D, Shanker K, Thakur J, Negi A, et al. A bioactive labdane diterpenoid from Curcuma amada and its semisynthetic analogues as antitubercular agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2010;45:4379-82 pubmed publisher..Two of its semisynthetic analogues also exhibited antitubercular activity at 250-500 microg/mL. It is the first report on isolation and antimycobacterial activity of this dialdehyde from C. amada. ..
- Verma P, Mathur A, Shanker K. Increased availability of tryptophan in 5-methyltryptophan-tolerant shoots of Catharanthus roseus and their postharvest in vivo elicitation induces enhanced vindoline production. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2012;168:568-79 pubmed publisher..0 mg/l tryptophan registered an eight-to-tenfold increment in their vindoline content within 24-48 h. ..
- Parihar S, Gupta A, Chaturvedi A, Agarwal J, Luqman S, Changkija B, et al. Gallic acid based steroidal phenstatin analogues for selective targeting of breast cancer cells through inhibiting tubulin polymerization. Steroids. 2012;77:878-86 pubmed publisher..The most active analogue 10 was found to be non-toxic in Swiss albino mice up to 300 mg/kg dose. Gallic acid based phenstatin analogues may further be optimized as selective anti-breast cancer agents. ..
- Srivastava V, Saxena H, Shanker K, Kumar J, Luqman S, Gupta M, et al. Synthesis of gallic acid based naphthophenone fatty acid amides as cathepsin D inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2006;16:4603-8 pubmed..14 microM, respectively, as compared against pepstatin (0.0023 microM), the most potent inhibitor known so far. The study revealed that such attempts on gallic acid based pharmacophores might result in potent inhibitors of cathepsin D. ..
- Singh P, Faridi U, Srivastava S, Kumar J, Darokar M, Luqman S, et al. Design and synthesis of C-ring lactone- and lactam-based podophyllotoxin analogues as anticancer agents. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2010;58:242-6 pubmed..These analogues showed toxicity comparable to PDT against human erythrocytes albeit at much higher concentrations (100 microg/ml) than their cytotoxicity values. ..
- Srivastava P, Shanker K. Pluchea lanceolata (Rasana): Chemical and biological potential of Rasayana herb used in traditional system of medicine. Fitoterapia. 2012;83:1371-85 pubmed publisher..Out of about 80 species of Pluchea, some of them are on extinct and only 16 have traditional uses in several countries of Asian, Middle East and North American region. The present review covers the period 1935-2011. ..
- Srivastava P, Tiwari N, Yadav A, Kumar V, Shanker K, Verma R, et al. Simultaneous quantification of withanolides in Withania somnifera by a validated high-performance thin-layer chromatographic method. J AOAC Int. 2008;91:1154-61 pubmed..Specificity of quantification was confirmed using retention factor (Rf) values, UV-Vis spectral correlation, and electrospray ionization mass spectra of marker compounds in sample tracks. ..
- Srivastava V, Singh M, Malasoni R, Shanker K, Verma R, Gupta M, et al. Separation and quantification of lignans in Phyllanthus species by a simple chiral densitometric method. J Sep Sci. 2008;31:47-55 pubmed..The method reported here is reproducible and applied for the quantitative analysis of the above lignans in the leaves of four Phyllanthus species, i. e., P. amarus, P. maderaspatensis, P. urinaria, and P. virgatus. ..
- Saxena H, Faridi U, Kumar J, Luqman S, Darokar M, Shanker K, et al. Synthesis of chalcone derivatives on steroidal framework and their anticancer activities. Steroids. 2007;72:892-900 pubmed..It was observed that chalcone derivatives showing cytotoxicity against cancer cell lines did not affect the fragility of erythrocytes and hence may be considered as non-toxic to normal cells. ..
- Mishra S, Triptahi V, Singh S, Phukan U, Gupta M, Shanker K, et al. Wound induced tanscriptional regulation of benzylisoquinoline pathway and characterization of wound inducible PsWRKY transcription factor from Papaver somniferum. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e52784 pubmed publisher..Preferential expression of PsWRKY in straw and capsule and its interaction with consensus W-box element present in BIAs pathway gene transcripts suggest its possible involvement in the wound induced regulation of BIAs pathway. ..
- Prakasham A, Saxena A, Luqman S, Chanda D, Kaur T, Gupta A, et al. Synthesis and anticancer activity of 2-benzylidene indanones through inhibiting tubulin polymerization. Bioorg Med Chem. 2012;20:3049-57 pubmed publisher..62-2.04 ?M). Compound 9j, the best candidate of the series was found to be non-toxic in acute oral toxicity in Swiss-albino mice up to 1000 mg/kg dose. ..
- Gupta S, Shanker K, Srivastava S. HPTLC method for the simultaneous determination of four indole alkaloids in Rauwolfia tetraphylla: a study of organic/green solvent and continuous/pulse sonication. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2012;66:33-9 pubmed publisher..Method specificity was confirmed using retention factor (R(f)) and visible spectral (post chromatographic scan) correlation of marker compounds in the samples and standard tracks. ..
- Singh R, Trivedi P, Bawankule D, Ahmad A, Shanker K. HILIC quantification of oenotheralanosterol A and B from Oenothera biennis and their suppression of IL-6 and TNF-? expression in mouse macrophages. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;141:357-62 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates the in vitro anti-inflammatory activity of three Oenothera biennis compounds...
- Prakasham A, Shanker K, Negi A. A simple and convenient synthesis of 2-methoxyestradiol from estrone. Steroids. 2012;77:467-70 pubmed publisher..A simple and straightforward synthesis of 2-methoxyestradiol have been achieved in nine synthetic steps with 21% of overall yield. Being a convenient process, it can be upscaled to industrial process. ..
- Chanda D, Saikia D, Kumar J, Thakur J, Agarwal J, Chanotiya C, et al. 1-Chloro-2-formyl indenes and tetralenes as antitubercular agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2011;21:3966-9 pubmed publisher..Analogue 13 was further modified to some derivatives. The most active analogue 23 showing MIC at 30 ?g/mL was further evaluated for acute oral toxicity in Swiss albino mice and was found to be safe up to 300 mg/kg dose. ..
- Thul S, Srivastava A, Singh S, Shanker K. Genetic and chemical diversity of high mucilaginous plants of Sida complex by ISSR markers and chemical fingerprinting. Mol Biotechnol. 2011;49:77-81 pubmed publisher..rhombifolia shared most bands making them difficult to identify on chemical fingerprint basis. This report summarizes the genotypic and chemotypic diversity and the use of profiles for authentication of species of Sida complex. ..
- Shanker K, Gupta S, Srivastava P, Srivastava S, Singh S, Gupta M. Simultaneous determination of three steroidal glycoalkaloids in Solanum xanthocarpum by high performance thin layer chromatography. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2011;54:497-502 pubmed publisher..Method specificity was confirmed using retention factor (R(f)), Vis spectral correlation and electrospray ionization mass spectra (ESI-MS) of marker compounds in the sample track. ..
- Chanda D, Bhushan S, Guru S, Shanker K, Wani Z, Rah B, et al. Anticancer activity, toxicity and pharmacokinetic profile of an indanone derivative. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2012;47:988-95 pubmed publisher..Pharmacokinetic studies in rabbits revealed rate of absorption, half life, volume of distribution with high plasma and blood clearance after i.v. administration. Indanone 1, is a safe and moderately active anticancer agent. ..
- Trivedi P, Kumar J, Negi A, Shanker K. HPLC method development and validation of cytotoxic agent phenyl-heptatriyne in Bidens pilosa with ultrasonic-assisted cloud point extraction and preconcentration. Biomed Chromatogr. 2011;25:697-706 pubmed publisher..84 and 6.13 µg/mL, respectively. The method was validated following international guidelines and successfully applied for quantitative assays of cytotoxic compound phenyl-1,3,5-heptatriyne in Bidens pilosa. ..
- Singh M, Tiwari N, Shanker K, Verma R, Gupta A, Gupta M. Two new lignans from Phyllanthus amarus. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2009;11:562-8 pubmed publisher..Additionally, eight known lignans were also isolated and characterized. ..
- Gupta V, Fatima A, Faridi U, Negi A, Shanker K, Kumar J, et al. Antimicrobial potential of Glycyrrhiza glabra roots. J Ethnopharmacol. 2008;116:377-80 pubmed publisher..It exhibited antimicrobial activity against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Our results indicate potential use of licorice as antitubercular agent through systemic experiments and sophisticated anti-TB assay...
- Tiwari N, Yadav A, Srivastava P, Shanker K, Verma R, Gupta M. Iridoid glycosides from Gmelina arborea. Phytochemistry. 2008;69:2387-90 pubmed publisher..Additionally a known iridoid 6-O-(3'', 4''-O-dibenzoyl)-alpha-L-rhamnopyranosylcatalpol (4) was also isolated and identified. ..
- Fatima A, Gupta V, Luqman S, Negi A, Kumar J, Shanker K, et al. Antifungal activity of Glycyrrhiza glabra extracts and its active constituent glabridin. Phytother Res. 2009;23:1190-3 pubmed publisher..25-250 microg/mL. Although the compound was reported earlier to be active against Candida albicans, but this is the first report of its activity against drug resistant mutants...
- Agrawal D, Saikia D, Tiwari R, Ojha S, Shanker K, Kumar J, et al. Demethoxycurcumin and its semisynthetic analogues as antitubercular agents. Planta Med. 2008;74:1828-31 pubmed publisher..8 microg/mL. H (37)Rv:Mycobacterium tuberculosis H (37)Rv strain MIC:minimum inhibitory concentration. ..
- Pal A, Bawankule D, Darokar M, Gupta S, Arya J, Shanker K, et al. Influence of Moringa oleifera on pharmacokinetic disposition of rifampicin using HPLC-PDA method: a pre-clinical study. Biomed Chromatogr. 2011;25:641-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the result of this study suggested that the bioavailability-enhancing property of MoAF may help to lower the dosage level and shorten the treatment course of rifampicin. ..
- Verma P, Mathur A, Masood N, Luqman S, Shanker K. Tryptophan over-producing cell suspensions of Catharanthus roseus (L) G. Don and their up-scaling in stirred tank bioreactor: detection of a phenolic compound with antioxidant potential. Protoplasma. 2013;250:371-80 pubmed publisher..The latter, however, showed 57.47 % better radical scavenging activity (DPPH) than the bioreactor-harvested cells. ..
- Chanda D, Shanker K, Pal A, Luqman S, Bawankule D, Mani D, et al. Safety evaluation of Trikatu, a generic Ayurvedic medicine in Charles Foster rats. J Toxicol Sci. 2009;34:99-108 pubmed....
- Yadav N, Pal A, Shanker K, Bawankule D, Gupta A, Darokar M, et al. Synergistic effect of silymarin and standardized extract of Phyllanthus amarus against CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity in Rattus norvegicus. Phytomedicine. 2008;15:1053-61 pubmed publisher..amarus showed better activity due to the higher concentration of phyllanthin in ethanolic extract in comparison to aqueous extract of P. amarus as estimated by HPLC...
- Negi A, Kumar J, Luqman S, Shanker K, Gupta M, Khanuja S. Recent advances in plant hepatoprotectives: a chemical and biological profile of some important leads. Med Res Rev. 2008;28:746-72 pubmed..This review focuses discussion on the chemistry, biological activity, mode of action, toxicity, and future prospects of these leads. ..
- Jyotshna -, Shanker K, Khare P, Tiwari N, Mohanty S, Bawankule D, et al. Synthesis of Gold Mediated Biocompatible Nanocomposite of Lactone Enriched Fraction from Sahadevi (Vernonia cinerea Lees): An Assessment of Antimalarial Potential. Curr Top Med Chem. 2016;16:2043-50 pubmed....
- Jyotshna -, Khare P, Shanker K. Mangiferin: A review of sources and interventions for biological activities. Biofactors. 2016;42:504-514 pubmed publisher..In addition we include updates on various strategies and derived products intended for designated pharmacological actions. © 2016 BioFactors, 42(5):504-514, 2016. ..