- Invasive, atypical and aggressive pituitary adenomas and carcinomas
Department of Pathology, Acibadem University, School of Medicine, Kerem Aydinlar Yerleskesi, Icerenkoy Mahallesi, Kayisdagi Caddesi, No 32, Atasehir, Istanbul, Turkey Electronic address
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 44:99-104. 2015
..Pituitary carcinomas are rare and show cerebrospinal and/or systemic metastasis. They have worse prognosis than aggressive adenomas, and radiation is of limited use in their treatment. ..
- Biomarkers of pituitary neoplasms
Acibadem University, School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Gulsuyu Mahallesi, Fevzi Çakmak Cd, Divanyolu Sok, 1 Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
Anticancer Res 32:4639-54. 2012
..The new spectrum of biomarkers may shed light upon the pathogenetic mechanisms and also may serve as standardized diagnostic tool for daily pathologic practice...
- Intraoperative magnetic resonance spectroscopy for identification of residual tumor during low-grade glioma surgery: clinical article
M Necmettin Pamir
Department of Neurosurgery, Acibadem University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg 118:1191-8. 2013
..To guide this differential diagnosis the authors used intraoperative long-TE single-voxel proton MR spectroscopy (ioMRS) and tested the correlation of these findings with findings from pathological examination of resected tissue...
- Expression of growth factors and structural proteins in chordomas: basic fibroblast growth factor, transforming growth factor alpha, and fibronectin are correlated with recurrence
M Levent Deniz
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurooncology Laboratories, Marmara University Institute of Neurosciences, Istanbul, Turkey
Neurosurgery 51:753-60; discussion 760. 2002
..To test the hypothesis that the expression of certain growth factors and/or structural proteins is correlated with the biological behavior of cranial base chordomas...
- Tenascin in meningioma: expression is correlated with anaplasia, vascular endothelial growth factor expression, and peritumoral edema but not with tumor border shape
Neurooncology Laboratories, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Mamara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Neurosurgery 51:183-92; discussion 192-3. 2002
..The aim of this study was to investigate how tenascin expression relates to histological grade, angiogenesis, and radiological findings in meningiomas...
- Inhibition of angiogenesis induced by cerebral arteriovenous malformations using gamma knife irradiation
Laboratory of Molecular Neurosurgery, Marmara University Institute of Neurological Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg 106:463-9. 2007
..The authors studied the effect of Gamma Knife irradiation on angiogenesis induced by cerebral arteriovenous malformation (AVM) tissues implanted in the corneas of rats...
- Pituitary carcinoma presenting with multiple metastases: case report
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
J Child Neurol 23:1467-71. 2008
..This is the first pediatric case, to the authors' knowledge, of a pituitary carcinoma with widespread intracranial and intraspinal metastases...
- Immunohistochemical expression of SPARC is correlated with recurrence, survival and malignant potential in meningiomas
Suheyla Uyar Bozkurt
Department of Pathology, Institute for Neurological Sciences, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
APMIS 117:651-9. 2009
..Evaluating SPARC expression might help assessing recurrence risk and survival estimation in meningiomas...
- Effect of a low molecular weight heparin molecule, dalteparin, on cellular apoptosis and inflammatory process in an incisional wound-healing model
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Kalp Damar Cerrahisi AD, Tophanelioglu cad No 13 15, 34640 Altunizade, Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Today 37:406-11. 2007
..In this study we aimed to test the effect of a low molecular weight heparin molecule, namely dalteparin, on the inflammation and cellular apoptosis in an incisional wound-healing model in rats...
- Suprasellar haemangioblastoma. Report of two cases and review of the literature
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University Neurological Sciences Institute, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 12:85-9. 2005
..HBL in the sellar and suprasellar region are rare and may be sporadic or occur in association with VHL disease. The literature is reviewed and diagnosis and treatment options discussed...
- A case of primary diffuse leptomeningeal gliomatosis predominantly involving the cervical spinal cord and mimicking chronic meningitis
Dilara Savci Heijink
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 22:90-4. 2012
..The patient underwent biopsy at the level of C1 for diagnosis. The specimen was diagnosed as primary diffuse leptomeningeal gliomatosis, with phenotypic features of astrocytoma and oligodendroglioma...
- Effects of parenteral fish-oil emulsion (Omegaven) on cutaneous wound healing in rats treated with dexamethasone
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Marmara University, Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31:161-6. 2007
..The aim was to assess wound healing when parenteral fish-oil emulsion is given to rats receiving dexamethasone...
- Late brain stem radionecrosis seventeen years after fractionated radiotherapy
Acibadem Maslak Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 19:182-5. 2009
..Radiation necrosis has a radiological appearance similar to various important pathologies. Tissue sampling for histopathological examination is mandatory for definite diagnosis and correct treatment of the disease...
- Dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor of the midbrain tectum: a case report
Department of Neurosurgery and Neuropathology, Marmara University, PK 53, 81532, Basibuyuk Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
Brain Tumor Pathol 19:97-100. 2002
..This case report documents the first DNT to arise in the midbrain tectum and focuses on the problem of diagnosing this uncommon tumor at extracortical sites...
- Atypical pituitary adenoma with neurocytic transformation
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN Departments of Pathology Neurosurgery, Methodist Children s Hospital of South Texas, San Antonio, TX Department of Pathology, Acibadem Medical Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 22:72-6. 2014
..Our findings have implications with respect to the nosology of neuronal tumors of the adenohypophysis...
- MicroRNAs as biomarkers in pituitary tumors
Antonio Di Ieva
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology, and the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada Division of Cardiology, Magna Graecia University, Catanzaro, Italy Department of Pathology, Acibadem University, School of Medicine, Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
Neurosurgery 75:181-9; discussion 188-9. 2014
..Here we review the biological significance of miRNAs in pituitary tumors and the potential value of circulating miRNAs as biomarkers...
- Effect of surgery on tumor progression and malignant degeneration in hemispheric diffuse low-grade astrocytomas
Marmara University Institute of Neurological Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 9:549-52. 2002
..So, surgery, as radical as possible, should be the choice of treatment in low-grade hemispheric astrocytomas...
- Neuroprotective effects of FK-506, L-carnitine and azathioprine on spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:105-10. 2004
..In our experimental study, we aimed to test the effect of FK506, azathioprine and L-carnitine on protection of spinal cord injury due to ischemia-reperfusion...
- Expression of integrins in cerebral arteriovenous and cavernous malformations
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Neurosurgery 58:159-68; discussion 159-68. 2006
..To assess and compare levels and patterns of expression for integrins alphavbeta1, alphavbeta3, and alphavbeta5 in arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) and cavernous malformations (CCMs) of the brain...
- Intradiploic meningioma mimicking calvarial metastasis: case report
Marmara University, Faculty of Medicine, Neurosurgery Department, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 19:297-301. 2009
..Preoperative diagnosis was a metastasis, but histological examination revealed an osteolytic interosseous meningioma. The possibility of an intraosseous meningioma mimicking a metastatic tumor should be kept in mind...
- Correlation between SPARC (Osteonectin) expression with immunophenotypical and invasion characteristics of pituitary adenomas
Department of Neurosurgery, Medipol University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
APMIS 123:199-204. 2015
..Absence of significant SPARC expression in tumor progression, sellar dilatation, erosion and destruction suggest that SPARC scores are not related with invasiveness or progressiveness of pituitary adenomas. ..
- Serial EEG and MRI changes in status epilepticus-induced excitotoxic neuronal necrosis
Department of Neurology, Acibadem University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Epileptic Disord 13:446-51. 2011
- Basal ganglia location of subependymal giant cell astrocytomas in two infants
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Neurology, Acibadem University, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 42:157-9. 2010
..In infants, subependymal giant cell astrocytomas can present with unusual morphology and may feature diffuse basal ganglia involvement and severe calcification...
- Single voxel proton MR spectroscopy findings of typical and atypical intracranial meningiomas
Mustafa Kemal Demir
Department of Radiology, Trakya University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 60:48-55. 2006
..To prospectively define proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) findings of meningiomas, and describe the ability or inability of short- and long-echo MRS to differentiate typical and atypical meningiomas in vivo...
- Quantification of fibrin degradation products in glioma and meningioma patients
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Acibadem Univeristy, Istanbul, Turkey Acibadem University Neuroscience Center Brain Tumor Research Group, Acibadem University, Istanbul, Turkey
Cancer Biomark 14:253-8. 2014
..DR-70 is an immunoassay for fibrin and FDP in plasma and it has been shown useful in detection of over 14 different cancers. This study investigated the validity of the DR-70 test in gliomas as well as meningiomas...
- Metastatic papillary craniopharyngioma: case study and study of tumor angiogenesis
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Neuro Oncol 4:123-8. 2002
- Cauda equina paraganglioma with ependymoma-like histology: a case report
Maltepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 22:353-9. 2012
..No recurrence or metastasis is expected when it is totally resected. Morphology can be misleading hence immunohistochemistry and/or ultrastructural study is necessary for correct diagnosis...
- Cervical spinal meningioma mimicking intramedullary spinal tumor
Department of Radiology, Dicle University School of Medicine, Diyarbakir, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E45-9. 2009
- Induction of HGF and VEGF in hepatic regeneration after hepatotoxin-induced cirrhosis in mice
Department of Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory, Memorial Hospital, Sisli, Istanbul, Turkey
Hepatogastroenterology 58:971-9. 2011
..In this study, we elucidated the role of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in liver regeneration...
- Effect of allopurinol in focal cerebral ischemia in rats: an experimental study
Department of Neurosurgery, Goztepe Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Surg Neurol 64:S5-10. 2005
..Allopurinol is a xanthine oxidase inhibitor that prevents the generation of free radicals and may play a role in the protection of the cells during cerebral ischemia...
- Methanol intoxication: pathological changes of central nervous system (17 cases)
Council of Forensic Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 31:34-6. 2010
- Monostotic fibrous dysplasia involving occipital bone: a case report and review of literature
Dr Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Education and Research Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Pan Afr Med J 19:124. 2014
..Despite its resemblance to a benign lesion by not being symptomatic it can progress and cause severe bony defects and skin lesions. Total surgical resection is necessary and sufficient for total treatment. ..
- Does "cerebellar liponeurocytoma" always reflect an expected site? An unusual case with a review of the literature
Pinar Karabagli, Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Selcuk University, Selcuklu, 42075, Konya, Turkey, phone 90 332 241 50 00, fax 90 332 241 60 65, E mail
Folia Neuropathol 52:101-5. 2014
..In the future tumour classification, it should be considered that liponeurocytomas are not restricted only to the cerebellum, but they are located in supratentorial areas as well. ..
- Cerebral Erdheim-Chester disease mimicking high-grade glial tumor: a case report
Murat Şakir Ekşi
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Neurosurg 49:179-82. 2013
..We present a case of ECD of supratentorial intra-axial origin and discuss the clinical presentation, diagnosis and management strategies...
- Gastric polypoid lesions: analysis of 150 endoscopic polypectomy specimens from 91 patients
Unit of Surgery, Institute of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 9:2236-9. 2003
..To analyze gastric polypoid lesions in our patient-population with respect to histopathologic features and demographic, clinical, and endoscopic characteristics of patients...
- Giant intracranial Rosai-Dorfman disease
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 11:563-6. 2004
..The patient underwent postoperative chemotherapy. Involvement of the central nervous system in Rosai-Dorfman disease is rare, but the disease's ability to mimic other pathologies underlines its importance...
- The 980-nm diode laser for brain surgery: histopathology and recovery period
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Bogazici University, Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey
Lasers Med Sci 19:41-7. 2004
..Histological examinations showed that the 980-nm diode laser system has a remarkable ablating ability with minimal thermal damage of nearby tissue...
- The analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of subcutaneous bupivacaine, morphine and tramadol in rats
Marmara University School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Istanbul, Turkey
Agri 16:53-8. 2004
..The vasodilation was significant only in Group M. The dermal edema was limited to deep dermis only in Group T. Preinflammational subcutaneous tramadol infiltration can provide effective analgesia and may have anti-inflammatory effects...
- Ischemic preconditioning and nicotinamide in spinal cord protection in an experimental model of transient aortic occlusion
C Selim Isbir
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Marmara University, School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:1028-33. 2003
..Spinal cord injury is a devastating complication after aortic surgery. The aim of the present study is to examine the effects of ischemic preconditioning (IPC) and nicotinamide containing perfusate in transient aortic occlusion in the rat...
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate induces c6 glioma chemosensitization via antidepressant-like lysosomal phospholipidosis/myelinosis in vitro
Meric A Altinoz
Institute of Health, Halic University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Neurosci 117:1465-80. 2007
..Reducing esterification and plasma-membrane localization of cholesterol may lead MPA induction of lysosomal phospholipidosis, growth indolency, and drug sensitization in glioma...
- Primary solitary cervical amyloidosis: case report and review of the literature
A Celal Iplikcioglu
Neurosurgery Clinic, Ministry of Health Okmeydani Teaching and Research Hospital, Basibuyuk Maltepe, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E45-7. 2007
..A case report and literature review are presented...