- Analysis of clinical and environmental Candida parapsilosis isolates by microsatellite genotyping--a tool for hospital infection surveillance
Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology, Department of Biology, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal URSZ Mycology, Department of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal Electronic address
Clin Microbiol Infect 21:954.e1-8. 2015
..We demonstrate that this typing method is able to distinguish clonal clusters from genetically unrelated genotypes and can be a valuable tool to support epidemiologic investigations in the hospital setting...
- Molecular epidemiology of Aspergillus collected from cystic fibrosis patients
National Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge Infectious Diseases Department, Lisbon, Portugal Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, United States California Institute for Medical Research, San Jose, CA, United States Electronic address
J Cyst Fibros 14:474-81. 2015
..Aspergillus respiratory infection is a common complication in cystic fibrosis (CF) and is associated with loss of pulmonary function and allergic disease...
- Molecular screening of 246 Portuguese Aspergillus isolates among different clinical and environmental sources
National Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge URSZ Infectious Diseases Department, Lisbon, Portugal
Med Mycol 52:519-29. 2014
..This may allow preventive and corrective measures to be taken, which may result in decreased exposure to those organisms and a better prognosis. ..
- Occupational exposure to Aspergillus by swine and poultry farm workers in Portugal
Nacional Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge, URSZ, Infectious Diseases Department, Lisbon, Portugal
J Toxicol Environ Health A 75:1381-91. 2012
- Isolates from hospital environments are the most virulent of the Candida parapsilosis complex
CBMA Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology, Department of Biology, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
BMC Microbiol 11:180. 2011
..orthopsilosis and C. metapsilosis were assayed for their ability to induce macrophage cytotocixity and secretion of the pro-inflammatory cytokine TNF-α, to produce pseudo-hyphae and to secrete hydrolytic enzymes...
- Dermatomycosis in lower limbs of diabetic patients followed by podiatry consultation
URSZ Infectious Diseases Department, National Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
Rev Iberoam Micol 30:103-8. 2013
..Diabetic patients are particularly susceptible to fungal infections due to modifications that occur in their immunological system. These modifications compromise natural defences, such as skin and nails, especially from lower limbs...
- Pathogenic fungi: an unacknowledged risk at coastal resorts? New insights on microbiological sand quality in Portugal
National Institute of Health Dr Ricardo Jorge, Av Padre Cruz, 1619 016 Lisboa, Portugal
Mar Pollut Bull 62:1506-11. 2011
..Regarding threshold values, we propose 15 cfu/g for yeasts, 17 cfu/g for potential pathogenic fungi, 8 cfu/g for dermatophytes. Twenty-five cfu/g for E. coli, and 10 [corrected] cfu/g for intestinal enterococci...
- Fungal burden in waste industry: an occupational risk to be solved
Environment and Health RG, Lisbon School of Health Technology, Polytechnic Institute of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Environ Monit Assess 187:199. 2015
..Overall, these results reveal the inefficacy of the cleaning procedures and that it is important to determine fungal burden in order to carry out risk assessment...
- Assessment of fungal contamination in waste sorting and incineration-case study in Portugal
a Environmental Health RG, Lisbon School of Health Technology, Polytechnique Institute of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
J Toxicol Environ Health A 77:57-68. 2014
..Since waste is the main internal fungal source in the analyzed settings, preventive and protective measures need to be maintained to avoid worker exposure to fungi and their metabolites. ..
- First autochthone case of sporotrichosis by Sporothrix globosa in Portugal
Manoel Marques Evangelista de Oliveira
Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology CBMA, Department of Biology, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal Laboratório de Micologia, Instituto de Pesquisa Clinica Evandro Chagas, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Electronic address
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 78:388-90. 2014
..We conclude that sporotrichosis may be underdiagnosed particularly in Southern Europe and suggest Portugal as an emerging area for this fungal infection. ..
- New polymorphic microsatellite markers able to distinguish among Candida parapsilosis sensu stricto isolates
Centre of Molecular and Environmental Biology, Department of Biology, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 48:1677-82. 2010
..These new microsatellites are a valuable tool for use for the differentiation of C. parapsilosis sensu stricto strains, vital in epidemiology to answer questions of strain relatedness and determine pathways of transmission...