Affiliation: St. Petersburg
- Berstein L. [Endocrinology of cancer and age: early and late stages of ontogenesis]. Adv Gerontol. 2017;30:177-191 pubmed....
- Berstein L, Tchernobrovkina A, Gamajunova V, Kovalevskij A, Vasilyev D, Chepik O, et al. Tumor estrogen content and clinico-morphological and endocrine features of endometrial cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2003;129:245-9 pubmed..The role of local estrogen production (aromatase activity) in this setting deserves special study. ..
- Berstein L, Poroshina T, Kovalenko I, Vasilyev D. Serum Levels of 8-Hydroxy-2'-Deoxyguanosine DNA in Patients with Breast Cancer and Endometrial Cancer with and without Diabetes Mellitus. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2016;161:547-9 pubmed publisher..The causes of the trend to a less favorable course of tumor process in patients with breast cancer and diabetes in comparison with endometrial cancer and diabetes deserve further studies. ..
- Berstein L, Yue W, Wang J, Santen R. Isolated and combined action of tamoxifen and metformin in wild-type, tamoxifen-resistant, and estrogen-deprived MCF-7 cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;128:109-17 pubmed publisher..The cellular context (including loss of sensitivity to TAM and estrogen deprivation) is of importance in influencing breast cancer responses to MF and to a combination of MF and TAM. ..
- Berstein L. Modern approach to metabolic rehabilitation of cancer patients: biguanides (phenformin and metformin) and beyond. Future Oncol. 2010;6:1313-23 pubmed publisher....
- Berstein L. Metformin in obesity, cancer and aging: addressing controversies. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:320-9 pubmed..Here we discuss whether the discrepancies in different studies are merely methodological or inherently related to individual differences in responsiveness to the drug. ..
- Berstein L, Boyarkina M, Vasilyev D, Poroshina T, Kovalenko I, Imyanitov E, et al. Endocrine metabolic disorders in patients with breast cancer, carriers of BRCA1 gene mutations. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2012;152:610-2 pubmed..BRCA1 gene mutations in breast cancer patients were associated with signs of estrogenization and a pro-genotoxic shift in the estrogen and glucose system, which could modulate the disease course and requires correction. ..
- Berstein L, Imyanitov E, Suspitsin E, Grigoriev M, Sokolov E, Togo A, et al. CYP19 gene polymorphism in endometrial cancer patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2001;127:135-8 pubmed..Thus, CYP19 polymorphism might be one of the genetic risk factors for endometrial cancer development. ..
- Berstein L, Imyanitov E, Kovalevskij A, Maximov S, Vasilyev D, Buslov K, et al. CYP17 and CYP19 genetic polymorphisms in endometrial cancer: association with intratumoral aromatase activity. Cancer Lett. 2004;207:191-6 pubmed..Further studies are warranted to connect revealed regularities with the type I or II of EC. ..
- Berstein L, Koskela A, Boyarkina M, Adlercreutz H. Excretion of estrogens, catecholestrogens and phytoestrogens in carriers of BRCA1 gene mutations: effects of metformin. Neoplasma. 2010;57:333-8 pubmed....