- Sodium intakes of US children and adults from foods and beverages by location of origin and by specific food source
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 91 Boulevard de l Hopital, Paris 75013, France
Nutrients 5:1840-55. 2013
..8% of total sodium in adult diets. Most sodium came from foods purchased in stores. Food manufacturers, restaurants, and grocery stores all have a role to play in reducing the amount of sodium in the American diet...
- Energy intakes of US children and adults by food purchase location and by specific food source
Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, 91 Boulevard de l Hopital, Paris 75013, France
Nutr J 12:59. 2013
..Evaluations of purchase location and food sources of energy may inform public health policy...
- Residential property values are associated with obesity among women in King County, WA, USA
Colin D Rehm
Center for Public Health Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:491-5. 2012
..Property values may represent a novel and objective measure of SES at the individual level in the US. Measures based on tax assessment data will provide a valuable resource for future health studies...
- Demographic and behavioral factors associated with daily sugar-sweetened soda consumption in New York City adults
Colin D Rehm
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Urban Health 85:375-85. 2008
..Improved surveillance and interventions are needed to better quantify and reduce consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages, especially in groups most impacted by obesity...
- Disparities in obesity rates: analysis by ZIP code area
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:2458-63. 2007
..Geocoding of health data provides new insights into the nature of social determinants of health. Disparities in obesity rates by ZIP code area were greater than disparities associated with individual income or race/ethnicity...
- Potential nutritional and economic effects of replacing juice with fruit in the diets of children in the United States
School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:459-64. 2012
..To estimate the nutritional and economic effects of substituting whole fruit for juice in the diets of children in the United States...
- The quality and monetary value of diets consumed by adults in the United States
Colin D Rehm
School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:1333-9. 2011
..Food prices are an established determinant of food choice and may affect diet quality. Research on diet cost and diet quality in representative populations has been hindered by lack of data...
- Arterial roads and area socioeconomic status are predictors of fast food restaurant density in King County, WA
Philip M Hurvitz
Department of Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6:46. 2009
- The geography of diabetes by census tract in a large sample of insured adults in king county, washington, 2005-2006
Box 353410, Center for Public Health Nutrition, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98915 E mail
Prev Chronic Dis 11:E125. 2014
..Identifying areas of high diabetes prevalence can have an impact on public health prevention and intervention programs. Local health practitioners and public health agencies lack small-area data on obesity and diabetes...
- A New Method to Monitor the Contribution of Fast Food Restaurants to the Diets of US Children
Colin D Rehm
Center for Public Health Nutrition, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e103543. 2014
..American adults consume 11.3% of total daily calories from foods and beverages from fast food restaurants. The contribution of different types of fast food restaurants to the diets of US children is unknown...
- Vegetable cost metrics show that potatoes and beans provide most nutrients per penny
Center for Public Health Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e63277. 2013
..These new metrics of affordable nutrition can help food service and health professionals identify those vegetable subgroups in the school lunch that provide the best nutritional value per penny...
- Association between use of specialty dietary supplements and C-reactive protein concentrations
Elizabeth D Kantor
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Am J Epidemiol 176:1002-13. 2012
- Opioid availability in outpatient pharmacies in Washington State
Jonathan D Mayer
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Clin J Pain 24:120-3. 2008
..To determine if opioids, both long and short acting, were widely available in pharmacies in Washington State, and to ascertain if availability was related to rural/urban location or socioeconomic factors...