- Obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea and incident stroke: the sleep heart health study
Brigham and Women s Hospital, 221 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115M, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:269-77. 2010
- Prospective study of obstructive sleep apnea and incident coronary heart disease and heart failure: the sleep heart health study
Daniel J Gottlieb
VA Boston Healthcare System, and Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118 2394, USA
Circulation 122:352-60. 2010
..The objective of this study was to assess the relation of obstructive sleep apnea to incident coronary heart disease and heart failure in a general community sample of adult men and women...
- Association of usual sleep duration with hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health Study
Daniel J Gottlieb
The Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, R 304, Boston, MA 02118 2394, USA
Sleep 29:1009-14. 2006
..This study assesses the relationship between usual sleep duration and hypertension in a community-based cohort...
- Prospective study of sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health Study
GEORGE T O'CONNOR
Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany St, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:1159-64. 2009
..Cross-sectional epidemiologic studies show an association between sleep-disordered breathing and hypertension, but only one cohort study has examined sleep-disordered breathing as a risk factor for incident hypertension...
- Polysomnographic and health-related quality of life correlates of restless legs syndrome in the Sleep Heart Health Study
John W Winkelman
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Sleep 32:772-8. 2009
..The objective of this study was to analyze sleep by PSG in a population-based sample with symptoms of RLS...
- Sleep, slow-wave sleep, and blood pressure
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Curr Hypertens Rep 14:442-8. 2012
..This article reviews the overall association between sleep and hypertension, with a specific focus on slow-wave sleep, a possible novel target for future blood pressure interventions...
- Associations of PM10 with sleep and sleep-disordered breathing in adults from seven U.S. urban areas
Department of Environmental Health, Exposure Epidemiology and Risk Program, Harvard School of Public Health, 401 Park Drive, Landmark Center, Suite 415, PO Box 15698, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:819-25. 2010
..S. adults, and may be more prevalent in poor urban environments. SDB and air pollution have been linked to increased cardiovascular diseases and mortality, but the association between pollution and SDB is poorly understood...
- A controlled trial of CPAP therapy on metabolic control in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance and sleep apnea
Tanya G Weinstock
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sleep 35:617-625B. 2012
..To address whether treatment of sleep apnea improves glucose tolerance...
- Association of short and long sleep durations with insulin sensitivity in adolescents
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr 158:617-23. 2011
..To characterize the relationship between insulin sensitivity, assessed with the homeostasis model of insulin (HOMA), and objective measurements of sleep duration in adolescents...
- Correlates of adolescent sleep time and variability in sleep time: the role of individual and health related characteristics
The Sleep Center, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Sleep Med 12:239-45. 2011
..g., ADHD, asthma, birth weight, and BMI). The aim of the current study was to investigate the relationship between such variables and actigraphic measures of sleep duration and variability...
- Incidence of sleep-disordered breathing in an urban adult population: the relative importance of risk factors in the development of sleep-disordered breathing
Peter V Tishler
Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System and Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
JAMA 289:2230-7. 2003
..Sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) is both prevalent and associated with serious chronic illness. The incidence of SDB and the effect of risk factors on this incidence are unknown...
- Genomic approaches to understanding obstructive sleep apnea
Lyle J Palmer
Department of Medicine, Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 181 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 135:187-205. 2003
..This chapter reviews the current state of knowledge of the genetics of OSA, with a focus on genomic approaches to understanding sleep disorders...
- Association of sleep time with diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance
Daniel J Gottlieb
The Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, VA Boston Healthcare System, 715 Albany St, Mail Stop R 304, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:863-7. 2005
- Variation in symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing with race and ethnicity: the Sleep Heart Health Study
GEORGE T O'CONNOR
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118 2394, USA
Sleep 26:74-9. 2003
..To examine the relation of sleep-related symptoms to race and ethnicity in a diverse sample of middle-aged and older men and women...
- Association of genetic loci with sleep apnea in European Americans and African-Americans: the Candidate Gene Association Resource (CARe)
Sanjay R Patel
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e48836. 2012
..The identified SNPs all lie in genes associated with inflammation suggesting inflammation may play a role in OSA pathogenesis...
- The Childhood Adenotonsillectomy Trial (CHAT): rationale, design, and challenges of a randomized controlled trial evaluating a standard surgical procedure in a pediatric population
Division of Sleep Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Beth Israel Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sleep 34:1509-17. 2011
..The study framework that was established should provide a useful template for other pediatric controlled studies or other studies that evaluate surgical interventions...
- Association between insomnia symptoms and weight change in older women: caregiver--study of osteoporotic fractures study
Epidemiology Department, School of Public Health, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1697-704. 2011
..To determine whether self-reported insomnia symptoms were associated with weight change in older women and whether caregiving, comorbidities, sleep medication, or stress modified this association...
- A whole-genome scan for obstructive sleep apnea and obesity
Lyle J Palmer
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Hum Genet 72:340-50. 2003
- A semiparametric method for analyzing matched case-control family studies with a continuous outcome and proband sampling
Department of Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biometrics 60:644-50. 2004
..We apply the proposed method to sleep apnea data. A simulation study demonstrates the usefulness of our approach...