- The Vertical Expandable Prosthetic Titanium Rib in the treatment of spinal deformity due to progressive early onset scoliosis
Departments of Pediatric Orthopaedics, La Concepcion Hospital, PO Box 6847, Marina Station, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00681, USA
J Pediatr Orthop B 18:197-203. 2009
..This preliminary report reaffirms that the VEPTR implantation is a safe and efficient method for the treatment of early onset scoliosis...
- Natural history of thoracic insufficiency syndrome: a spondylothoracic dysplasia perspective
Pediatric Orthopaedic Department, Hospital De La Concepción, P O Box 6847, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico 00681
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:2663-75. 2007
..Little is known about the long-term respiratory natural history of this disorder and the specific anatomic deformity...
- Vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib as treatment of thoracic insufficiency syndrome in spondylocostal dysplasia
Hospital De La Concepción, San German, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop 30:521-6. 2010
..The purpose of this study is to evaluate spinal deformity correction and respiratory function outcomes in a spondylocostal dysplasia population treated with VEPTR...
- Orthosis noncompliance after the Ponseti method for the treatment of idiopathic clubfeet: a relevant problem that needs reevaluation
Pediatric Orthopaedic Department, Hospital De La Concepción, San German
J Pediatr Orthop 31:710-5. 2011
..The purpose of the study is to evaluate if poor compliance is due to the complexity of the orthotic use or if it is related to family education, cultural, or income factors...
- Orthopaedic manifestations of Bardet-Biedl syndrome
Pediatric Orthopaedics Department, Mayaguez Medical Center, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop 24:92-6. 2004
..The bone survey did not reveal any additional radiographic abnormalities. Based on these results, Bardet-Biedl syndrome patients do not have epiphyseal dysgenesis; their epiphyseal manifestations are probably the result of their obesity...
- Is the vertebral expandable prosthetic titanium rib a surgical alternative in patients with spina bifida?
John M Flynn
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital La Concepcion, Carr 2 Km 173 4, San German, PR 00683, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:1291-6. 2011
..One alternative that potentially minimizes these problems is the vertebral expandable prosthetic titanium rib (VEPTR)...
- Steel syndrome: dislocated hips and radial heads, carpal coalition, scoliosis, short stature, and characteristic facial features
John M Flynn
Department of Pediatric Orthopeadic Surgery, Hospital La Concepcion, San German, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop 30:282-8. 2010
..The purpose of this study is to reevaluate this patient population with a longer follow-up and delineate the clinical and radiologic features, treatment outcomes, and the genetic characteristics...
- Mutations in the MESP2 gene cause spondylothoracic dysostosis/Jarcho-Levin syndrome
Alberto S Cornier
Department of Molecular Medicine, La Concepcion Hospital, San German, PR 00683, USA
Am J Hum Genet 82:1334-41. 2008
..Thus, all affected probands harbored the E103X mutation. Our findings suggest a founder-effect mutation in the MESP2 gene as a major cause of the classical Puerto Rican form of STD/JLS...
- Psychological dysfunction in children who require repetitive surgery for early onset scoliosis
John M Flynn
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital La Concepcion, San German, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop 32:594-9. 2012
..We hypothesized that these children would demonstrate evidence of neurobehavioral dysfunction...
- Mortality and life-threatening events after vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib surgery in children with hypoplastic chest wall deformity
Randal R Betz
Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 28:850-3. 2008
- Musculoskeletal manifestations of neonatal nonketotic hyperglycinemia
Pediatric Orthopedic Department, Mayaguez Medical Center, Box 6847, Mayaguez, PR 00681 USA
J Child Orthop 6:199-203. 2012
..There are no reports about the orthopaedic manifestations of neonatal nonketotic hyperglycinemia. The purpose of this study is to evaluate the musculoskeletal findings of neonatal nonketotic hyperglycinemia...
- Osteogenesis imperfecta and hyperplastic callus formation in a family: a report of three cases and a review of the literature
Deparment of Orthopaedics, Mayaguez Medical Center, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop B 12:88-96. 2003
..An association between osteogenesis imperfecta type IV and hyperplastic callus formation is unclear. This association might, however, be a separate, specific subtype of osteogenesis imperfecta, with an unknown inheritance pattern...
- Bone tissue reaction to Ti-48Al-2Cr-2Nb (at.%) in a rodent model: a preliminary SEM study
Diego F Castañeda-Muñoz
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, PR 00680, USA
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1433-8. 2007
..The bone-metal interface showed signs of tissue growth from original bone to the metal surface. gammaTiAl appears to elicit a normal bone tissue reaction and hence, has potential as a metallic implant material...
- Unilateral congenital absence of the calf muscle
John M Flynn
Hospital La Concepcion, San German, Puerto Rico
J Pediatr Orthop B 16:70-2. 2007
..We are reporting a 2-year 10-month-old African-American girl with congenital unilateral absence of the muscles of the posterior compartment of the calf suspected by clinical examination and confirmed with magnetic resonance imaging...
- Controversies surrounding Jarcho-Levin syndrome
Alberto S Cornier
Division of Genetics, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico
Curr Opin Pediatr 15:614-20. 2003
..In the past 2 years, few papers have provided more insight into the clinical diagnosis, prognosis, and management of patient with these phenotypes...
- The musculoskeletal manifestations of the Coffin-Lowry syndrome
Jose A Herrera-Soto
Nemours Children s Clinic Orlando, Orlando, FL 32806, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 27:85-9. 2007
..Hypoplasia of the ilium and hand deformities are common but do not seem to cause any functional problems. Observation is recommended for these asymptomatic hand, foot, and pelvic findings...