Affiliation: Laboratoire Epsylon, EA 4556, Université Montpellier 3 & Service Universitaire de Psychiatrie Adulte CHRU Montpellier
Location: Montpellier , France
Since 2010, I am an associate professor in the Laboratory Epsylon (Pr. Grégory Ninot), Laboratory Dynamics of Human Abilities & Health Behaviors,
Department of Medicine, Subject and Society Sciences, Sport Sciences,
University of Montpellier and St-Etienne, France.
Dr Raffard is working collaboratively with the professor Marie-christine Gely-Nargeot, scientific responsible of the line of research « Quality of life, chronic
diseases, developmental disorders and aging » in Epsylon Laboratory.
I defended my Ph.D dissertation in 2009 in the "Cognitive Psychopathology and Neuropsychology Unit at the University of Geneva with Pr. Martial Van der Linden. My thesis research explored how patients with schizophrenia travel into past and future in order to create a coherent sense of self.
From 2003 to now I ‘m working as a clinical neuropsychologist
in the University Department of Adult Psychiatry in Montpellier, in the unit of
the professor Jean-Philippe Boulenger. My clinical work was focused on
1) clinical assessment
2) cognitive remediation and psychosocial rehabilitation of patients with schizophrenia and severe mental disorders.
Stéphane Raffards broad objectives are to promote the development of experimental researches in the area of psychiatry and to optimize models of behavioral, emotional and cognitive abnormalities in mental disorders. Specific interests include insight in schizophrenia, mental time travel in schizophrenia, social interactions through interpersonal motor paradigms, and determine the sources and further describe negative symptoms in schizophrenia and other mental disorders. In addition to these major research topics, we also investigate the sources and the implicit and explicit manifestations of stigmatization in Alzheimer Disease and Mild Cognitive impairments.
Students working with Dr. Raffard learn how to conduct clinical interviews and complete clinical symptom rating scales. Students also learn neuropsychological assessment, the measurement of facial and motor expression of emotion in the context of ongoing social interactions, motor and self-report assessments of emotion cognitive and personality in the context of experimental and naturalistic research designs.
Students are encouraged to receive broad training in psychopathology, cognitive neuroscience, emotion, social psychology, psychophysiology and multivariate
- Raffard S, Bayard S, Gely Nargeot M, Capdevielle D, Maggi M, Barbotte E, et al. Insight and executive functioning in schizophrenia: a multidimensional approach. Psychiatry Res. 2009;167:239-50 pubmed publisher..The analysis indicates that poor insight in schizophrenia may be partially related to executive dysfunction. Finally, our study emphasizes the possible role of neuropsychological intervention in improving patients' insight into illness. ..
- Bayard S, Capdevielle D, Boulenger J, Raffard S. Dissociating self-reported cognitive complaint from clinical insight in schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatry. 2009;24:251-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of cognitive complaint and awareness of illness need to be assessed before engagement in rehabilitation program. ..
- Capdevielle D, Raffard S, Bayard S, Garcia F, Baciu O, Bouzigues I, et al. Competence to consent and insight in schizophrenia: is there an association? A pilot study. Schizophr Res. 2009;108:272-9 pubmed publisher..Emphasis should be placed on developing prospective studies comparing the courses of insight, cognitive disorders and capacity to consent in schizophrenia. ..
- Favrod J, Zimmermann G, Raffard S, Pomini V, Khazaal Y. The Beck Cognitive Insight Scale in outpatients with psychotic disorders: further evidence from a French-speaking sample. Can J Psychiatry. 2008;53:783-7 pubmed..Cognitive insight does not recover clinical insight but is a potential target for developing psychological treatments that will improve clinical insight. ..
- Raffard S, Bayard S, Capdevielle D, Garcia F, Boulenger J, Gely Nargeot M. [Lack of insight in schizophrenia: a review. Part I: theoretical concept, clinical aspects and Amador's model]. Encephale. 2008;34:597-605 pubmed publisher..An important suggestion from theses studies may be that psychosocial therapy needs to focus on explanations that are in tune with the culture, rather than focus on diagnostic labels. ..
- Erkes J, Raffard S, Meulemans T. [Spaced-retrieval in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Critical review and clinical applications]. Psychol Neuropsychiatr Vieil. 2009;7:275-86 pubmed publisher..Then the advantages and feasibility of the spaced retrieval technique in common clinical practice are discussed, and specific recommendations are given. ..
- Raffard S, D Argembeau A, Lardi C, Bayard S, Boulenger J, Van der Linden M. Exploring self-defining memories in schizophrenia. Memory. 2009;17:26-38 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the findings suggest that impairments in extracting meaning from personal memories could represent a core disturbance of autobiographical memory in patients with schizophrenia. ..
- Raffard S, Bortolon C, Burca M, Gely Nargeot M, Capdevielle D. Multidimensional model of apathy in older adults using partial least squares--path modeling. Age (Dordr). 2016;38:55 pubmed publisher..Clinical implications are discussed. ..