- Reducing chemical exposures in nail salons through owner and worker trainings: an exploratory intervention study
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
Am J Ind Med 56:806-17. 2013
..Nail salons represent a rapidly growing industry with mainly Vietnamese immigrant workers. Workers routinely handle nail products containing hazardous compounds, yet have limited accessible information to minimize workplace exposures...
- Experiences and perceptions of medical discrimination among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area, California
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, CA, USA
Am J Public Health 102:1027-34. 2012
..We conducted qualitative interviews with breast cancer survivors to identify themes related to institutional, personally mediated, and internalized discrimination in the medical setting...
- Characterizing workplace exposures in Vietnamese women working in California nail salons
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Am J Public Health 101:S271-6. 2011
..We engaged Vietnamese nail salon workers in a community-based participatory research (CBPR) study to measure personal and area concentrations of solvents in their workplace...
- Cancer incidence in female cosmetologists and manicurists in California, 1988-2005
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Am J Epidemiol 172:691-9. 2010
..Additionally, the relatively young ages of cohort members and demographic shifts in the industry composition in recent years suggest a need for further follow-up...
- Nativity and papillary thyroid cancer incidence rates among Hispanic women in California
Pamela L Horn-Ross
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, California 94538, USA
Cancer 118:216-22. 2012
..However, little is known as to whether rates in Hispanic women vary by nativity, which may influence exposure to important risk factors...
- Papillary thyroid cancer incidence rates vary significantly by birthplace in Asian American women
Pamela L Horn-Ross
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2201 Walnut Ave, Suite 300, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:479-85. 2011
..To investigate how birthplace influences the incidence of papillary thyroid cancer among Asian American women...
- Birth size and breast cancer risk among young California-born women
Department of Research, Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2001 Center Street, Suite 700, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Cancer Causes Control 22:1461-70. 2011
..Evaluate the risk of breast cancer associated with birth size among young California-born women...
- A preliminary survey of Vietnamese nail salon workers in Alameda County, California
Northern California Cancer Center, 2001 Center Street, Suite 700, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
J Community Health 33:336-43. 2008
..Moreover, the predominance of Vietnamese immigrant women in this workforce makes it an important target group for further research and health interventions...
- An excess of breast cancer among young California-born Asian women
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Berkeley, USA
Ethn Dis 21:196-201. 2011
..To compare breast cancer risk among young Asian and Pacific Islander (API) women to White women, all of whom were born in California during the 1960s...
- The influence of nativity and neighborhoods on breast cancer stage at diagnosis and survival among California Hispanic women
Theresa H M Keegan
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, USA
BMC Cancer 10:603. 2010
- Hidden breast cancer disparities in Asian women: disaggregating incidence rates by ethnicity and migrant status
Scarlett Lin Gomez
Northern California Cancer Center, 2201 Walnut Avenue, Suite 300, Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Am J Public Health 100:S125-31. 2010
..We estimated trends in breast cancer incidence rates for specific Asian populations in California to determine if disparities exist by immigrant status and age...