Affiliation: Ignacio Chavez National Heart Institute
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Internal Medicine Residency - UNAM, Mexico City
Respiratory Medicine - University of Manitoba
Professor of Medicine, La Salle University Faculty of Medicine, Mexico City
Head, Cardiopulmonary Department at the Ignacio Chavez National Heart Institute in Mexico.
Involved in clinical research of diseases of the pulmonary circulation including pulmonary arterial hypertension and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension, congenital heart disease and pulmonary embolism.
- Bosentan therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertensionLewis J Rubin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92037 1330, USA
N Engl J Med 346:896-903. 2002..The present trial investigated the effect of bosentan on exercise capacity in a larger number of patients and compared two doses...
- Macitentan and morbidity and mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertensionTomas Pulido
Cardiopulmonary Department, Ignacio Chávez National Heart Institute, Mexico City, Mexico
N Engl J Med 369:809-18. 2013..We assessed the efficacy of macitentan, a new dual endothelin-receptor antagonist, using a primary end point of morbidity and mortality in a long-term trial...
- Left and right ventricular power: outputs are the strongest hemodynamic correlates to allow identification of acute responders to vasodilator treatment in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertensionEulo Lupi-Herrera
Sub Direction of Clinical Research
Arch Cardiol Mex 81:100-7. 2011....
- Safety and efficacy of sitaxsentan 50 and 100 mg in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionJulio Sandoval
National Heart Institute, Mexico City, Mexico
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 25:33-9. 2012..To assess safety and efficacy of sitaxsentan 50 and 100 mg in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging study of oral sildenafil citrate in treatment-naive children with pulmonary arterial hypertensionRobyn J Barst
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Circulation 125:324-34. 2012..Safe, effective therapy is needed for pediatric pulmonary arterial hypertension...
- Does anticoagulation in Eisenmenger syndrome impact long-term survival?Julio Sandoval
Cardiopulmonary Department, Ignacio Chavez National Institute of Cardiology, Mexico City, Mexico
Congenit Heart Dis 7:268-76. 2012..To determine the impact of anticoagulation on survival in Eisenmenger syndrome...
- [Management of acute pulmonary thromboembolism]Tomás Pulido-Zamudio
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez
Arch Cardiol Mex 82:48-53. 2012..Pulmonary embolism management includes hemodynamic support, anticoagulation, thrombolysis and embolectomy. We present an overview of the treatment of APE...
- Efficacy and safety of oral treprostinil monotherapy for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension: a randomized, controlled trialZhi Cheng Jing
Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, No 507 Zhengmin Rd, Yangpu District, Shanghai, China 20043
Circulation 127:624-33. 2013..This study was designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the oral prostacyclin analogue treprostinil diolamine as initial treatment for de novo PAH...
- Pharmacokinetics of oral treprostinil sustained release tablets during chronic administration to patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionR James White
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 61:474-81. 2013..We conclude that twice-daily oral treprostinil provides sustained and proportional treprostinil concentrations over a wide range of doses during chronic administration to PAH patients...
- [Capillary blood gas test usefulness to evaluate gas exchange with 21% and 100% of oxygen inspired fractions in subjects with stable cardiopulmonary disease at 2,240 meters above sea level]Luis Efrén Santos-Martínez
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Tlalpan, Mexico D F, Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 79:18-26. 2009..In order to know the degree of agreement between these gases, we evaluate them at breathing room air and at 100% of oxygen fractions at 2,240 meters above sea level...
- [Impact of the deep breathing maneuver in the gas exchange in the subject with severe obesity and pulmonary arterial hypertension associated to Eisenmenger's syndrome]Luis Efrén Santos-Martínez
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Mexico, D F
Arch Cardiol Mex 78:265-72. 2008..In severe obese patients with the Eisenmenger's syndrome, this correlation is unknown...
- [Pharmacological treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension]Tomás Pulido Zamudio
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, INCICH, Juan Badiano Núm 1 4o piso, Col Seccion XVI, Tlalpan 14080, Mexico, DF
Arch Cardiol Mex 77:S4-198-201. 2007..Despite these advances, pulmonary arterial hypertension remains an incurable disease, so the focus of new studies is the combination of two or more drugs with a different mechanism of action...
- [What is new in the treatment of pulmonary artery hypertension?]Tomás Pulido Zamudio
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, INCICH, Juan Badiano No 1 4 to Piso, Col Seccion XVI, Tlalpan, 14080 Mexico D F
Arch Cardiol Mex 73:S121-4. 2003..As long as research continues to scrutinize the pathogenesis of this disease, clues to possible new therapies are warranted...
- [Severe right ventricular hypertension secondary to metastatic obstruction due to hepatocarcinoma]Luis Efrén Santos Martínez
Departamento de Cardioneumologia, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia, Ignacio Chavez, Tlalpan, Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 75:170-7. 2005..The studies did not demonstrate neoplastic activity at any other level...
- [Massive pulmonary embolism, thrombus in transit, and right ventricular dysfunction]Luis Efrén Santos Martínez
Departamento de Cardioneumologí, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Juan Badiano Núm 1 Col Sección XVI, Tlalpan 14080, DF Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 77:44-53. 2007..There was an immediate hemodynamic improvement and the post-thrombolysis angiography performed after 24-h demonstrated an improvement of the pulmonary circulation as well as decreased pulmonary artery pressures...
- [Modification of a hydraulic device for controlled banding of the trunk of the pulmonary artery in dogs]Luis Efrén Santos Martínez
Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Departamento de Cardioneumologia, INCICH Juan Badiano No 1, Col Seccion XVI, Tlalpan 14080, Mexico DF
Arch Cardiol Mex 75:S3-10-20. 2005..The elevation is achieved by pulmonary artery banding with linen tape or hydraulic devices. We introduce a new hydraulic device to be used in experimental subjects of less than 15 kilograms...
- [Clinical implications and prognostic significance of the study on the circadian variation of heart rate variability in patients with severe pulmonary hypertension]Martin Rosas-Peralta
Departamento de Investigación Cardiopulmonar, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Mexico, DF Mexico
Gac Med Mex 142:19-28. 2006....
- Effects of the oral endothelin-receptor antagonist bosentan on echocardiographic and doppler measures in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertensionNazzareno Galie
Institute of Cardiology, University of Bologna, Italy
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:1380-6. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of bosentan (125 or 250 mg twice daily) on echocardiographic and Doppler variables in 85 patients with World Health Organization class III or IV pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)...
- Pulmonary embolism as a cause of death in patients with heart disease: an autopsy studyTomas Pulido
Cardiopulmonary, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Mexico D F, Mexico
Chest 129:1282-7. 2006..To establish the prevalence of pulmonary embolism (PE) in autopsy material at a tertiary cardiac referral center and its importance as a cause of death in patients with heart disease (HD)...
- The role of pulmonary pressure/cardiac index to identify pulmonary hemodynamic responders to acute oxygen breathing pulmonary hypertension COPD patientsEulo Lupi-Herrera
Sub Direction of Clinical Investigation
Arch Cardiol Mex 81:208-16. 2011..5%) in pulmonary hypertension (PH) - COPD patients...
- [Medical reflections on a case of pulmonary thromboembolism in pregnancy]Luis Efrén Santos-Martínez
Circulación Pulmonar, UMAE Hospital de Cardiología Centro Médico Nacional Siglo XXI, IMSS Cuidados Intensivos Posoperatorios Cardiovasculares del Instituto Nacional de Cardiología, Ignacio Chavez
Arch Cardiol Mex 80:255-60. 2010..Appropriate therapy allowed maternal and fetal survival...
- [Pressure-flow relationships interpretation in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension]Eulo Lupi-Herrera
Sub Dirección de Investigación Clínica Instituto Nacional de Cardiología Ignacio Chávez
Arch Cardiol Mex 80:163-73. 2010..We analyze exercise-derived mean pulmonary artery pressure/cardiac index relationship to expand the concepts regarding its nature and to better identify "responders" in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension patients...
- Combined clot fragmentation and aspiration in patients with acute pulmonary embolismGuering Eid-Lidt
Department of Interventional Cardiology, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Juan Badiano No 1, Tlalpan, CP 14080, Mexico City, Mexico
Chest 134:54-60. 2008..We describe our experience using PMT in patients with massive PE and RVD with unsuccessful thrombolysis, increased bleeding risk, or major contraindications for thrombolytic therapy...
- [Clinical interpretation for the pressure-flow relationships in extrinsic allergic alveolitis and in interstitial lung disease pulmonary hypertension patients. Should we care for the lung, the pulmonary artery pressure or both?]Eulo Lupi-Herrera
Subdirección de Investigación Clínica, Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia Ignacio Chavez, Mexico, D F Mexico
Arch Cardiol Mex 79:91-103. 2009..5%) and to hydralazine (H) in extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA) and chronic interstitial lung disease (CILD) pulmonary hypertension (PH) patients...