- The insulin gene is transcribed in the human thymus and transcription levels correlated with allelic variation at the INS VNTR-IDDM2 susceptibility locus for type 1 diabetes
Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida, USA
Nat Genet 15:293-7. 1997
..Higher levels of (pro)insulin in the thymus may promote negative selection (deletion) of insulin-specific T-lymphocytes which play a critical role in the pathogenesis of type-1 diabetes...
- Self-antigen-presenting cells expressing diabetes-associated autoantigens exist in both thymus and peripheral lymphoid organs
Immunogenetics Program, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Clin Invest 107:555-64. 2001
- Insulin2 gene (Ins2) transcription by NOD bone marrow-derived cells does not influence autoimmune diabetes development in NOD-Ins2 knockout mice
Diabetes Research Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Scand J Immunol 70:439-46. 2009
..Thus, NOD-Ins2-/- BM did not worsen diabetes in NOD recipients and Ins2 expression by NOD BM-derived cells did not delay diabetes development in NOD-Ins2-/- mice...
- Alternative splicing of G6PC2, the gene coding for the islet-specific glucose-6-phosphatase catalytic subunit-related protein (IGRP), results in differential expression in human thymus and spleen compared with pancreas
R S Dogra
Immunogenetics Program, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami, FL, Miami, USA
Diabetologia 49:953-7. 2006
..In this study we tested the hypothesis that IGRP splice variants could be differentially expressed in thymus and spleen compared with the pancreas...
- Sequence analysis of the diabetes-protective human leukocyte antigen-DQB1*0602 allele in unaffected, islet cell antibody-positive first degree relatives and in rare patients with type 1 diabetes
Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:1722-8. 1999
- Insulin protein and proliferation in ductal cells in the transplanted pancreas of patients with type 1 diabetes and recurrence of autoimmunity
Diabetes Research Institute, Leonard Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 1450 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Diabetologia 51:1803-13. 2008
..We investigated whether beta cell neoformation occurs in the transplanted pancreas in patients with type 1 diabetes who had received a simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant (SPK) and later developed recurrence of autoimmunity...
- A functional CD40 receptor is expressed in pancreatic beta cells
Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1450 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Diabetologia 48:268-76. 2005
..While neurons express the CD40 receptor, it is unknown whether islet cells also express it. We investigated CD40 expression in human and mouse pancreatic islets as well as in NIT-1 insulinoma cells...
- Combined islet and hematopoietic stem cell allotransplantation: a clinical pilot trial to induce chimerism and graft tolerance
Clinical Islet Transplant Program CITP, Diabetes Research Institute, L Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, FL, USA
Am J Transplant 8:1262-74. 2008
..Combined islet and HSC allotransplantation using an 'Edmonton-like' immunosuppression, without ablative conditioning, did not lead to stable chimerism and graft tolerance...