Affiliation: University of Porto
- Acute and chronic effects of some dietary bioactive compounds on folic acid uptake and on the expression of folic acid transporters by the human trophoblast cell line BeWoElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry U38 FCT, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
J Nutr Biochem 19:91-100. 2008..01%). This reduction seems to be, at least in part, due to a reduction in FRalpha expression. These results are compatible with an association between a deficient FA supply to the placenta/fetus and ethanol toxicity in pregnancy...
- Folic acid uptake by the human syncytiotrophoblast: interference by pharmacotherapy, drugs of abuse and pathological conditionsElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry U38 FCT, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Al Prof Hernani Monteiro, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Reprod Toxicol 28:511-20. 2009..Our results suggest that inhibition of FA placental uptake may constitute one of the mechanisms involved in the fetotoxicity of many of the compounds tested...
- Comparison of the transport characteristics of bioactive substances in IUGR and normal placentasElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry U38 FCT, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Pediatr Res 66:495-500. 2009..These results point to an effect of "compensation for the weakness" of the IUGR placenta and pose the placenta as an active mediator of the communication between maternal and fetal environments...
- Characteristics of thiamine uptake by the BeWo human trophoblast cell lineElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry (U38-FCT, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, 4200-319 Porto, Portugal
J Biochem Mol Biol 39:383-93. 2006..1 microM, respectively) inhibited (3)H-thiamine uptake, these effects being not mediated through modulation of the expression levels of either hThTr-1 or hSERT mRNA...
- Comparison of folic acid uptake characteristics by human placental choriocarcinoma cells at acidic and physiological pHElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry (U38/FCT, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Porto 4200-319, Portugal
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:247-55. 2006..In conclusion, in BeWo cells, both RFC and receptor-mediated endocytosis seem to be involved in 3H-folic acid uptake at pH 7.5, whereas at pH 5.5, RFC and (or) a low pH-operating transporter distinct from RFC are involved...
- Progesterone inhibits folic acid transport in human trophoblastsElisa Keating
Department of Biochemistry U38 FCT, Faculty of Medicine of Porto, University of Porto, Porto 4200 319, Portugal
J Membr Biol 216:143-52. 2007..These results suggest that progesterone inhibits RFC. In conclusion, our results show that progesterone, a sterol produced by the placenta, inhibits both FA uptake and efflux in BeWo cells and primary cultured human trophoblasts...
- Uptake of (3)H-1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium ((3)H-MPP(+)) by human intestinal Caco-2 cells is regulated by phosphorylation/dephosphorylation mechanismsFatima Martel
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
Biochem Pharmacol 63:1565-73. 2002..Moreover, uptake of (3)H-MPP(+) by Caco-2 cells and by the extraneuronal monoamine transporter (EMT) are regulated in a very similar manner, suggesting an important participation of EMT in the intestinal uptake of this compound...
- Acute effect of tea, wine, beer, and polyphenols on ecto-alkaline phosphatase activity in human vascular smooth muscle cellsMaria R Negrão
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine U38 FCT, University of Porto, 4200 319 Porto, Portugal
J Agric Food Chem 54:4982-8. 2006..Although more studies must be done, the inhibition of AALTR ecto-ALP activity by polyphenolic compounds and polyphenol-containing beverages may contribute to their cardiovascular protective effects...