Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Rua do Campo Alegre
- Strengthening the perception-assessment tools for dengue prevention: a cross-sectional survey in a temperate region (Madeira, Portugal)Teresa Nazareth
Unidade de Parasitologia Médica, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
BMC Public Health 14:39. 2014..aegypti's control and reinforce health-educational planning. Due to the lack of accurate methodologies for measuring perception, a new tool to assess the community's perceptions was built...
- Clinical and genetic heterogeneity in hereditary haemochromatosis: association between lymphocyte counts and expression of iron overloadG Porto
Haematology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Eur J Haematol 67:110-8. 2001....
- Growth hormone (GH)-induced reconstitution of CD8+ CD28+ T lymphocytes in a rare case of severe lymphopenia associated with Juvenile Haemochromatosis and Turner's syndromeGraça Porto
Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 61:437-40. 2004....
- Iron overload and immunityGraça Porto
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Rua do Campo Alegre, Porto 8234150, Portugal
World J Gastroenterol 13:4707-15. 2007..Data will also be reviewed demonstrating how the disruption of molecules essentially involved in adaptive immune responses result in the spontaneous development of iron overload and how they act as modifiers of iron overload...
- Red blood cells upregulate cytoprotective proteins and the labile iron pool in dividing human T cells despite a reduction in oxidative stressAna Mafalda Fonseca
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, Porto, Portugal
Free Radic Biol Med 35:1404-16. 2003....
- Hemochromatosis and pregnancy: iron stores in the Hfe-/- mouse are not reduced by multiple pregnanciesJoão Vilares Neves
Iron Genes and Immune System IRIS, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G525-9. 2010..Hepcidin 1 and 2 and BMP6 expressions were significantly decreased in pluriparous females, when compared with nulliparous, in both genotypes. In conclusion, multiple pregnancies do not reduce body iron stores in Hfe-/- mice...
- Low serum transferrin levels in HFE C282Y homozygous subjects are associated with low CD8(+) T lymphocyte numbersM Fatima Macedo
Division of Human Genetics and Genetic Disorders, Iron Genes and the Immune System Laboratory, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, Oporto, Portugal
Blood Cells Mol Dis 35:319-25. 2005..This correlation points to a possible role of transferrin as a limiting resource for MHC class I dependent lymphocyte proliferation, an effect that was not observed in C282Y homozygous female patients...
- Hepcidin messenger RNA expression in human lymphocytesJorge P Pinto
Iron Genes and Immune System, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Immunology 130:217-30. 2010..The results establish hepcidin as a new player in lymphocyte biology...
- The CD8+ T-lymphocyte profile as a modifier of iron overload in HFE hemochromatosis: an update of clinical and immunological data from 70 C282Y homozygous subjectsEugenia Cruz
Clinical Hematology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Blood Cells Mol Dis 37:33-9. 2006..0001). In conclusion, in the present population of C282Y homozygous subjects, the CD8+ T-lymphocyte profile could be considered a modifier of the iron overload with increasing age in males, with low numbers predicting a severe outcome...
- Interaction of polyacrylic acid coated and non-coated iron oxide nanoparticles with human neutrophilsDiana Couto
REQUIMTE, Laboratory of Applied Chemistry, Department of Chemical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Toxicol Lett 225:57-65. 2014..These effects may have important clinical implications in biomedical applications of ION. ..
- A study of 82 extended HLA haplotypes in HFE-C282Y homozygous hemochromatosis subjects: relationship to the genetic control of CD8+ T-lymphocyte numbers and severity of iron overloadEugenia Cruz
Clinical Hematology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
BMC Med Genet 7:16. 2006....
- A new 500 kb haplotype associated with high CD8+ T-lymphocyte numbers predicts a less severe expression of hereditary hemochromatosisEugenia Cruz
Clinical Hematology, Santo Antonio Hospital, Porto, Portugal
BMC Med Genet 9:97. 2008....
- CAT53 and HFE alleles in Alzheimer's disease: a putative protective role of the C282Y HFE mutationAna Paula Correia
HGSA Centro Hospitalar do Porto, Hospital Santo Antonio, Porto, Portugal HML Hospital Magalhães Lemos, Porto, Portugal
Neurosci Lett 457:129-32. 2009..In contrast, we found a significant negative association of the C282Y HFE mutation with AD, thus supporting a putative protective role of this protein variant in neurodegeneration...
- Involvement of the major histocompatibility complex region in the genetic regulation of circulating CD8 T-cell numbers in humansE Cruz
Clinical Hematology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Tissue Antigens 64:25-34. 2004..These results show that the MHC region is involved in the genetic regulation of CD8(+) T-cell numbers in humans. Identification of genes responsible for this control may have important biological and clinical implications...
- Comparative study between Hfe-/- and beta2m-/- mice: progression with age of iron status and liver pathologyPedro Rodrigues
Iron Genes and Immune System IRIS, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, Porto, Portugal
Int J Exp Pathol 87:317-24. 2006....
- The soluble transferrin receptor as a marker of iron homeostasis in normal subjects and in HFE-related hemochromatosisMariana Brandão
ICBAS, Abel Salazar Institute for the Biomedical Sciences, Porto, Portugal
Haematologica 90:31-7. 2005..In the present paper we explore the meaning of this parameter in normal physiological conditions of iron homeostasis and in the setting of iron overload due to hereditary hemochromatosis (HH)...
- Comparative study of the two more frequent HFE mutations (C282Y and H63D): significant different allelic frequencies between the North and South of PortugalC S Cardoso
Molecular Immunology and Pathology, ICBAS, Porto, Portugal, and Molecular Immunology, IBMC, Porto, Portugal
Eur J Hum Genet 9:843-8. 2001..In addition to their interest for population genetics, the results represent a reminder of the need to take into account regional differences in the design of strategies for population screening of hereditary hemochromatosis...
- Trihydroxyflavones with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory efficacyAna Gomes
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Biofactors 38:378-86. 2012..3,5,7-Trihydroxyflavone was able to inhibit both COX-1 and COX-2, which makes it a dual inhibitor of COX and 5-LOX pathways and, therefore, a promising candidate for a new therapeutic option in the treatment of inflammatory processes...
- Acetaminophen prevents oxidative burst and delays apoptosis in human neutrophilsMarisa Freitas
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Ciencias Quimicas, Laboratório de Química Aplicada, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Toxicol Lett 219:170-7. 2013....
- Polyacrylic acid coated and non-coated iron oxide nanoparticles are not genotoxic to human T lymphocytesDiana Couto
UCIBIO REQUIMTE, Laboratory of Applied Chemistry, Department of Chemical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Toxicol Lett 234:67-73. 2015..The obtained results showed that, for all culture conditions, the tested ION do not potentiate the clastogenic effects of BLM. ..
- Low erythropoietin production in familial amyloidosis TTR V30M is not related with renal congophilic amyloid deposition. A clinicopathologic study of twelve casesIdalina Beirão
Centro de Estudos de Paramiloidose, Department of Nephrology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Nephron Clin Pract 109:c95-9. 2008..4 +/- 2.8) years...
- Low serum levels of prohepcidin, but not hepcidin-25, are related to anemia in familial amyloidosis TTR V30MIdalina Beirão
Department of Nephrology, HGSA, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Blood Cells Mol Dis 41:175-8. 2008..In general, the decreased observed/expected EPO levels in FAP-I correlated with the prohepcidin levels, therefore raising the possibility that a common defect in these two hormones may be somehow involved in the genesis of the disease...
- A putative gene located at the MHC class I region around the D6S105 marker contributes to the setting of CD8+ T-lymphocyte numbers in humansJ Vieira
Molecular Evolution, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Porto, Portugal
Int J Immunogenet 34:359-67. 2007..3 region...
- Calreticulin is expressed on the cell surface of activated human peripheral blood T lymphocytes in association with major histocompatibility complex class I moleculesF A Arosa
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Porto, 4150 Porto, Portugal
J Biol Chem 274:16917-22. 1999..These results show for the first time that after T cell activation, significant amounts of calreticulin are expressed on the T cell surface, where they are found in physical association with a pool of beta2-free MHC class I molecules...
- Low numbers of CD8+ T lymphocytes in hereditary haemochromatosis are explained by a decrease of the most mature CD8+ effector memory T cellsM F Macedo
Iron Genes and the Immune System IRIS, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Clin Exp Immunol 159:363-71. 2010..358 +/- 0.195 and 0.246 +/- 0.202 x 10(6) cells/ml, respectively). This may suggest an inability of HH patients to differentiate the CD8(+) T cells into the most mature phenotype...
- Expansions of CD8+CD28- and CD8+TcRVbeta5.2+ T cells in peripheral blood of heavy alcohol drinkersF A Arosa
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology, Porto, Portugal
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24:519-27. 2000..Imbalances in T-cell subsets and iron metabolism parameters are common findings in heavy drinkers, yet the possible role played by discrete T-lymphocyte subsets under heavy alcohol consumption remains unclear...
- T-cell receptor repertoire in hereditary hemochromatosis: a study of 32 hemochromatosis patients and 274 healthy subjectsC Cardoso
Molecular Immunology and Pathology, ICBAS and Molecular Immunology, IBMC, Porto, Portugal
Hum Immunol 62:488-99. 2001....
- Effects of highly conserved major histocompatibility complex (MHC) extended haplotypes on iron and low CD8+ T lymphocyte phenotypes in HFE C282Y homozygous hemochromatosis patients from three geographically distant areasMonica Costa
Basic and Clinical Research on Iron Biology BCRIB, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
PLoS ONE 8:e79990. 2013..These findings further strengthen the relevance of HH as a good disease model to search for novel candidate loci associated with the genetic transmission of CD8(+) T-lymphocyte numbers...
- Nickel induces oxidative burst, NF-κB activation and interleukin-8 production in human neutrophilsMarisa Freitas
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha, 164, 4099 030, Porto, Portugal
J Biol Inorg Chem 15:1275-83. 2010..These observations indicate that the sustained activation of human neutrophils by nickel may contribute for the long-term adverse effects on human health mediated by this metal...
- Lymphocyte Gene Expression Signatures from Patients and Mouse Models of Hereditary Hemochromatosis Reveal a Function of HFE as a Negative Regulator of CD8+ T-Lymphocyte Activation and Differentiation In VivoMonica Costa
I3S Instituto de Investigação e Inovação em Saúde, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal Basic and Clinical Research on Iron Biology, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal Doctoral Program in Biomedicine, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
PLoS ONE 10:e0124246. 2015..This supports the notion that HFE contributes, at least in part, to the generation of low peripheral blood CD8+ T lymphocytes in HH. ..
- Iron homeostasis in breast cancerOriana Marques
Unit for Multidisciplinary Biomedical Research UMIB, Institute of Biomedical Sciences Abel Salazar ICBAS, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal Pathology and Molecular Immunology Department, Institute of Biomedical Sciences Abel Salazar ICBAS, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal Basic and Clinical Research on Iron Biology, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal Electronic address
Cancer Lett 347:1-14. 2014..To conclude, progresses in iron chelation therapy in breast cancer, as a tool to fight chemotherapy resistance, are also reviewed. ..
- Zinc activates neutrophils' oxidative burstMarisa Freitas
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha 164, 4099 030, Porto, Portugal
Biometals 23:31-41. 2010..Higher concentrations of zinc results on a rapid dismutation of O2*- to oxygen and hydrogen peroxide, which in turn is used by myeloperoxidase to generate hypochlorous acid (HOCl)...
- Non-transferrin-bound iron (NTBI) uptake by T lymphocytes: evidence for the selective acquisition of oligomeric ferric citrate speciesJoao Arezes
Basic and Clinical Research on Iron Biology, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
PLoS ONE 8:e79870. 2013..These results provide a tool for the identification of the still elusive ferric-citrate cellular carrier and may also open a new pathway towards the design of more efficient iron chelators for the treatment of iron overload disorders. ..
- Erythropoietin mediates hepcidin expression in hepatocytes through EPOR signaling and regulation of C/EBPalphaJorge P Pinto
Iron Genes and Immune System, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
Blood 111:5727-33. 2008....
- Isolation and activation of human neutrophils in vitro. The importance of the anticoagulant used during blood collectionMarisa Freitas
REQUIMTE, Physical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha 164, 4099 030 Porto, Portugal
Clin Biochem 41:570-5. 2008....
- Red blood cells promote survival and cell cycle progression of human peripheral blood T cells independently of CD58/LFA-3 and heme compoundsAna Mafalda Fonseca
Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology, Rua do Campo Alegre, 823, Portugal
Cell Immunol 224:17-28. 2003..Neither CD58 nor the heme compounds studied seem to play a direct relevant role in the modulation of T cell survival...
- Stability of CD4/CD8 ratios in man: new correlation between CD4/CD8 profiles and iron overload in idiopathic haemochromatosis patientsR Reimao
Institut Abel Salazar des Sciences biomédicales, Porto, Portugal
C R Acad Sci III 313:481-7. 1991..Follow-up of iron reentry into the transferrin pool at the end of the intensive phlebotomy treatment indicates that the relative proportion of circulating CD4/CD8 cells is critically related to the regulation of iron absorption...
- Haemochromatosis as a window into the study of the immunological system: a novel correlation between CD8+ lymphocytes and iron overloadG Porto
Abel Salazar Institute for the Biomedical Sciences, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Eur J Haematol 52:283-90. 1994..A novel correlation between the relative proportions of CD4+ and CD8+ cells and iron overload is confirmed by the follow-up of iron re-entry in the serum transferrin pool in the treated patients...
- Kidney and anemia in familial amyloidosis type IIdalina Beirão
Department of Nephrology, Santo Antonio General Hospital, Porto, Portugal
Kidney Int 66:2004-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to estimate the prevalence of anemia in FAP type I Portuguese patients and to evaluate the contribution of erythropoietin (Epo) to its genesis...
- Human red blood cells have an enhancing effect on the relative expansion of CD8+ T lymphocytes in vitroB Porto
Laboratory of Cytogenetics, Abel Salazar Institute for the Biomedical Sciences ICBAS, Porto, Portugal
Cell Prolif 34:359-67. 2001..This is the first reported evidence that human red blood cells have an enhancing effect on the expansion of CD8+ lymphocytes in vitro...