- Mitochondrial haplogroup H1 is protective for ischemic stroke in Portuguese patientsAlexandra Rosa
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Oeiras, Portugal
BMC Med Genet 9:57. 2008..The aim of this case-control study was to assess the contribution of mtDNA polymorphisms and haplogroups to ischemic stroke risk...
- Y-chromosomal diversity in the population of Guinea-Bissau: a multiethnic perspectiveAlexandra Rosa
Department of Evolutionary Biology, Estonian Biocentre, Riia 23, Tartu, Estonia
BMC Evol Biol 7:124. 2007..To address this, we have analysed the variation of 31 binary and 11 microsatellite markers on the non-recombining portion of the Y chromosome in Guinea-Bissau samples of diverse ethnic affiliations, some not studied before...
- Ethiopian mitochondrial DNA heritage: tracking gene flow across and around the gate of tearsToomas Kivisild
Estonian Biocentre and Tartu University, Tartu, Estonia
Am J Hum Genet 75:752-70. 2004....
- MtDNA profile of West Africa Guineans: towards a better understanding of the Senegambia regionAlexandra Rosa
Department of Evolutionary Biology, Estonian Biocenter, Tartu University, Riia 23, 51010 Tartu, Estonia
Ann Hum Genet 68:340-52. 2004..Particular haplotypes, found almost exclusively in East-African populations, were found in some ethnic groups with an oral tradition claiming Sudanese origin...
- Phylogeography of Y-chromosome haplogroup I reveals distinct domains of prehistoric gene flow in europeSiiri Rootsi
Department of Evolutionary Biology, University of Tartu and Estonian Biocentre, Riia, Tartu, Estonia
Am J Hum Genet 75:128-37. 2004..In contrast, I1b2 most likely arose in southern France/Iberia. Similarly to the other subclades, it underwent a postglacial expansion and marked the human colonization of Sardinia approximately 9,000 years ago...
- Y-chromosome lineages in Cabo Verde Islands witness the diverse geographic origin of its first male settlersRita Goncalves
Human Genetics Laboratory, Center of Macaronesian Studies, University of Madeira, Campus of Penteada, 9000 390 Funchal, Portugal
Hum Genet 113:467-72. 2003..9%. Overall, these results indicate that gene flow from multiple sources and various sex-specific patterns have been important in the formation of the genomic diversity in the Cabo Verde islands...
- Africans in Yorkshire? The deepest-rooting clade of the Y phylogeny within an English genealogyTuri E King
Department of Genetics, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 15:288-93. 2007..Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among 'indigenous' British, and emphasize the complexity of human migration history as well as the pitfalls of assigning geographical origin from Y-chromosomal haplotypes...
- DAZ gene copies: evidence of Y chromosome evolutionAna Teresa Fernandes
Laboratory of Human Genetics, University of Madeira, Campus la Penteada, 9000 390 Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
Mol Hum Reprod 12:519-23. 2006....
- Population data on 11 Y-chromosome STRs from Guiné-BissauAlexandra Rosa
Department of Biology, Universidade da Madeira, Campus Universitario da Penteada, 9000 390 Funchal, Portugal
Forensic Sci Int 157:210-7. 2006..The haplotype diversity of 0.9995 is reduced to 0.9981 when the minimal haplotype is considered thus revealing the importance of increasing the number of typed loci...
- Y-chromosome lineages from Portugal, Madeira and Açores record elements of Sephardim and Berber ancestryRita Goncalves
Human Genetics Laboratory, University of Madeira, Campus of Penteada, 9000 390 Funchal, Portugal
Ann Hum Genet 69:443-54. 2005....