M M Chaves
Affiliation: Instituto Superior de Agronomia
- Grapevine under deficit irrigation: hints from physiological and molecular dataM M Chaves
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Technical University of Lisbon, Tapada da Ajuda 1349 017 Lisbon, Portugal
Ann Bot 105:661-76. 2010..Understanding the physiological and molecular bases of grapevine responses to mild to moderate water deficits is fundamental to optimize deficit irrigation management and identify the most suitable varieties to those conditions...
- How plants cope with water stress in the field. Photosynthesis and growthM M Chaves
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Universidade Técnica Lisboa, Tapada da Ajuda, Portugal
Ann Bot 89:907-16. 2002....
- Photosynthesis under drought and salt stress: regulation mechanisms from whole plant to cellM M Chaves
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Ann Bot 103:551-60. 2009..Photosynthesis, together with cell growth, is among the primary processes to be affected by water or salt stress...
- Mechanisms underlying plant resilience to water deficits: prospects for water-saving agricultureM M Chaves
Departamento Botânica e Engenharia Biológica, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, Tapada da Ajuda, 1349 017 Lisboa, Portugal
J Exp Bot 55:2365-84. 2004..Emphasis is given to the most successful or promising cases of genetic engineering in crops, using functional or regulatory genes. as well as to promising technologies, such as the transfer of transcription factors...
- Acclimation to short-term low temperatures in two Eucalyptus globulus clones with contrasting drought resistanceF Costa e Silva
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Tapada da Ajuda 1349 017, Lisbon, Portugal
Tree Physiol 29:77-86. 2009..Moreover, it can enhance survival chances in frost-prone sites expanding the plantation range with more adaptive clones...
- Metabolic responses to water deficit in two Eucalyptus globulus clones with contrasting drought sensitivityA L Shvaleva
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Tapada da Ajuda, 1349 017 Lisboa, Portugal
Tree Physiol 26:239-48. 2006..Clone CN5 has stress avoidance mechanisms that account for its lower sensitivity to drought compared with Clone ST51...
- CO2 efflux, CO2 concentration and photosynthetic refixation in stems of Eucalyptus globulus (Labill.)S Cerasoli
Departamento de Egenharia Floresta, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, Tapada da Ajuda, 1349 017 Lisboa, Portugal
J Exp Bot 60:99-105. 2009..The difference between CO(2) efflux from the younger and older stems appears to have resulted from a difference in growth respiration rather than a difference in the rate of diffusion of xylem-transported CO(2)...
- Responses to water stress in two Eucalyptus globulus clones differing in drought toleranceF Costa e Silva
Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Departamento de Engenharia Florestal, Tapada da Ajuda 1349 017 Lisbon, Portugal
Tree Physiol 24:1165-72. 2004....
- Effects of partial defoliation on carbon and nitrogen partitioning and photosynthetic carbon uptake by two-year-old cork oak (Quercus suber) saplingsS Cerasoli
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Aptd 12, 2781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
Tree Physiol 24:83-90. 2004..On the contrary, starch concentration in coarse roots was higher in defoliated saplings than in control saplings, presumably as a result of the higher net CO2 exchange rate in newly developed leaves compared with pre-existing leaves...
- Estimating stomatal conductance with thermal imageryI Leinonen
Division of Environmental and Applied Biology, University of Dundee, Scotland
Plant Cell Environ 29:1508-18. 2006....
- Water-use strategies in two co-occurring Mediterranean evergreen oaks: surviving the summer droughtT S David
Estação Florestal Nacional INIAP, Quinta do Marques, 2780 159 Oeiras, Portugal
Tree Physiol 27:793-803. 2007..ilex, indicating that Q. ilex was more tolerant to drought than Q. suber. Overall, Q. ilex seemed to have more effective drought avoidance and drought tolerance mechanisms than Q. suber...
- Alterations in carbon and nitrogen metabolism induced by water deficit in the stems and leaves of Lupinus albus LC Pinheiro
Plant Biochemistry, , Apartado 127, 2781-901 Oeiras, Portugal
J Exp Bot 52:1063-70. 2001..At 13 DAW, the plants lost most of the leaves but on rewatering they fully recovered. Thus, the observed changes appear to contribute to a general mechanism of survival under drought, the stem playing a key role in that process...
- Photosynthetic light acclimation in peach leaves: importance of changes in mass:area ratio, nitrogen concentration, and leaf nitrogen partitioningX Le Roux
, Domaine de Crouelle, 234 avenue du Brezet, 63039 Clermont-Ferrand cedex 02, France
Tree Physiol 21:377-86. 2001..This behavior contrasts with photosynthetic light acclimation observed in other tree species like walnut (Juglans regia L.) in which acclimation results primarily from changes in Ma...