- Jana S, MendonÃ§a S, Werner S, Bettencourt Dias M. Methods to Study Centrosomes and Cilia in Drosophila. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1454:215-36 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes protocols to visualize centrosomes and cilia by fluorescence and electron microscopy. ..
- Bettencourt Dias M, Carvalho Santos Z. Double life of centrioles: CP110 in the spotlight. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:8-11 pubmed..This work paves the way to understanding centriole and cilia biogenesis, which are two processes misregulated in human diseases, such as cancer and polycystic kidney disease...
- Bettencourt Dias M, Hildebrandt F, Pellman D, Woods G, Godinho S. Centrosomes and cilia in human disease. Trends Genet. 2011;27:307-15 pubmed publisher..Here, we give an overview of recent developments in this field, focusing on cancer, diseases of brain development and ciliopathies. ..
- Jana S, Marteil G, Bettencourt Dias M. Mapping molecules to structure: unveiling secrets of centriole and cilia assembly with near-atomic resolution. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2014;26:96-106 pubmed publisher..Here, we cover progress in this field, focusing on the mechanisms of centriole and cilia assembly. ..
- Lopes C, Jana S, Cunha Ferreira I, Zitouni S, Bento I, Duarte P, et al. PLK4 trans-Autoactivation Controls Centriole Biogenesis in Space. Dev Cell. 2015;35:222-35 pubmed publisher..Similar mechanisms enforcing the local concentration and/or activity of other centriole components are likely to contribute to the spatial control of centriole biogenesis under physiological conditions. ..
- Marteil G, Dias Louro M, Bettencourt Dias M. Centrosome Assembly: Reconstructing the Core Cartwheel Structure In Vitro. Curr Biol. 2017;27:R606-R609 pubmed publisher..A recent study provides a new cell-free assay that reconstitutes the initial structure formed during centriole assembly - the cartwheel - and proposes a new model for its formation and growth. ..