Genomes and Genes
R J Noel
Affiliation: Ponce School of Medicine
- Astrocytic expression of HIV-1 viral protein R in the hippocampus causes chromatolysis, synaptic loss and memory impairmentLilith Torres
Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine and Health Sciences, P, O Box 7004, 00731 Ponce, PR, USA
J Neuroinflammation 11:53. 2014..Thus Vpr may play a role in hippocampal loss of function. The purpose of this study is to determine the ability of HIV-1 Vpr production by astrocytes in the hippocampus to cause neurological deficits and memory impairments...
- SIV Vpr evolution is inversely related to disease progression in a morphine-dependent rhesus macaque model of AIDSRichard J Noel
Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00716, USA
Virology 359:397-404. 2007..Interestingly, although our previous work with the accessory gene nef indicated no association between disease progression and evolution, the accessory factor, vpr, behaves similarly to the essential lentiviral genes tat and env...
- Lack of correlation between SIV-Nef evolution and rapid disease progression in morphine-dependent nonhuman primate model of AIDSRichard J Noel
Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00716
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:817-23. 2006....
- Correlation between SIV Tat evolution and AIDS progression in cerebrospinal fluid of morphine-dependent and control macaques infected with SIV and SHIVRichard J Noel
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732, USA Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732
Virology 349:440-52. 2006..Thus, morphine abuse may change the nature and extent of mutations that drive viral evolution...
- Phylogenetic relationships between Puerto Rico and continental USA HIV-1 pol sequences: a shared HIV-1 infectionR J Noel
Department of Biochemistry, Ponce School of Medicine, PO Box 7004, Ponce, PR 00732, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 49:1193-8. 2003..This work indicates that an efficacious vaccine developed for use in the USA mainland will also be effective in prevention in PR and perhaps the other countries of the Caribbean region...
- Morphine-mediated deterioration of oxidative stress leads to rapid disease progression in SIV/SHIV-infected macaquesAntonio Pérez-Casanova
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:1004-7. 2007..The loss of these antioxidant systems was coincident with significantly increased plasma malondialdehyde upon viral infection that displayed a synergistic increase in conjunction with morphine and rapid disease...
- Short communication: Lack of immune response in rapid progressor morphine-dependent and SIV/SHIV-infected rhesus macaques is correlated with downregulation of TH1 cytokinesVanessa Rivera-Amill
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico 00732 7004, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 26:919-22. 2010..These results suggest that rapid disease progression in relation to morphine dependency may be the result of an altered cytokine profile...
- Accelerated evolution of SIV env within the cerebral compartment in the setting of morphine-dependent rapid disease progressionVanessa Rivera-Amill
Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico 00732 7004
Virology 398:201-7. 2010..This study provides additional insight into SIV envelope variation in the CNS of morphine-dependent macaques and genotypes that may have evolved in the brain and contributed to disease progression...
- Morphine and rapid disease progression in nonhuman primate model of AIDS: inverse correlation between disease progression and virus evolutionVanessa Rivera-Amill
Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732 7004
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 5:122-32. 2010..Additionally, the studies presented could help enlighten the development of HIV vaccines that take into consideration viral diversity...
- Analysis of the V1V2 region of the SIV envelope in the brains of morphine-dependent and control SIV/SHIV-infected macaquesVanessa Rivera-Amill
Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico 00732
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 25:531-4. 2009..Analysis of the sequences revealed that the diversity and divergence of the clones were higher in the control group as compared to the morphine-dependent macaques, although this difference was not statistically significant...
- Virus replication and disease progression inversely correlate with SIV tat evolution in morphine-dependent and SIV/SHIV-infected Indian rhesus macaquesRichard J Noel
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce 00732, Puerto Rico
Virology 346:127-38. 2006..Our results also suggest that in vivo morphine dependence can contribute to the pathogenesis of SIV/SHIV infection and that it may do so in conjunction with the evolution of viral proteins, such as Tat...
- Variable region 4 of SIV envelope correlates with rapid disease progression in morphine-exposed macaques infected with SIV/SHIVVanessa Rivera-Amill
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732, Puerto Rico
Virology 358:373-83. 2007..We also found a direct correlation in V4 evolution and rapid disease progression. These results indicate that morphine dependence plays a role in the pathogenesis of SIV/SHIV infection and env evolution...
- Interaction of SIV/SHIV infection and morphine on plasma oxidant/antioxidant balance in macaqueAntonio Pérez-Casanova
AIDS Research Program, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, PR 00732, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 308:169-75. 2008..Our results clearly suggest that morphine interaction with SIV/SHIV infection causes higher oxidative tissue injury that might have implication in the pathogenesis of AIDS in morphine-dependent macaques...
- Opiates, immune system, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, and nonhuman primate modelRichard J Noel
Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico
J Neurovirol 14:279-85. 2008..In addition, the effects of opiates on disease progression in non-human primate model of AIDS is presented with at least one possible reason for rapid disease progression in multi-virus the challenge model...
- Differential virus evolution in blood and genital tract of HIV-infected females: evidence for the involvement of drug and non-drug resistance-associated mutationsGrissell Tirado
Laboratory of Viral Immunology, Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce 00732, Puerto Rico
Virology 324:577-86. 2004..These non-drug-associated mutations were different between plasma and vaginal viruses, suggesting that evolution of HIV-1 was independent in these two compartments...
- Compartmentalization of drug resistance-associated mutations in a treatment-naive HIV-infected femaleGrissell Tirado
Laboratory of Viral Immunology, Ponce School of Medicine, PuertoRico 00732
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20:684-6. 2004..In the absence of antiretroviral treatment, a drug-resistant mutant was thought to develop because of immune pressure. This is the first report describing the role of immune pressure in the development of a drug-resistant virus...
- Increased viral replication in simian immunodeficiency virus/simian-HIV-infected macaques with self-administering model of chronic alcohol consumptionRakesh Kumar
Laboratory of Viral Immunology, Department of Microbiology, Ponce School of Medicine, San Juan, PR
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:386-90. 2005..The extent of CD4 cell loss in the alcohol group was significantly higher than that in the control animals at week 1 after infection...