Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Medical University
- Malyszko J, Koc Zorawska E, Matuszkiewicz Rowinska J, Malyszko J. FGF23 and Klotho in relation to markers of endothelial dysfunction in kidney transplant recipients. Transplant Proc. 2014;46:2647-50 pubmed publisher..Thus they are involved not only in pathogenesis of the metabolic bone disease but also in cardiovascular complications, particularly in kidney disease. ..
- Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Dobrzycki S. Renalase, kidney and cardiovascular disease: are they related or just coincidentally associated?. Adv Med Sci. 2015;60:41-9 pubmed publisher..Whether renalase, discovered in 2005, might be a Holy Grail of hypertension, linking kidney and cardiovascular diseases, remains to be proven. ..
- Malyszko J, Oberbauer R, Watschinger B. Anemia and erythrocytosis in patients after kidney transplantation. Transpl Int. 2012;25:1013-23 pubmed publisher..The review summarizes available data on recent therapeutic strategies for post transplant anemia, as well as for post transplant erythrocytosis, another hematological disorder, that has decreased in recent years. ..
- Åukaszyk E, MaÅ‚yszko J. Copeptin: Pathophysiology and potential clinical impact. Adv Med Sci. 2015;60:335-41 pubmed publisher..This review outlines current research concerning the role of copeptin as a prognostic marker in different diseases and its potential clinical value. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Mysliwiec M. Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin correlates with kidney function in renal allograft recipients. Clin Transplant. 2009;23:681-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NGAL needs to be investigated as a potential early marker for impaired kidney function/kidney injury, especially in patients with other risk factor for kidney damage, i.e., hypertension or diabetes. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Mysliwiec M. Hepcidin, an acute-phase protein and a marker of inflammation in kidney transplant recipients with and without coronary artery disease. Transplant Proc. 2006;38:2895-8 pubmed..Elevated hepcidin values in kidney allograft recipients may be due not only to impaired renal function, but also to a low-grade inflammatory state, as reflected by hepcidin correlations with hsCRP, IL-6, and ferritin. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Mysliwiec M. Hyporesponsiveness to erythropoietin therapy in hemodialyzed patients: potential role of prohepcidin, hepcidin, and inflammation. Ren Fail. 2009;31:544-8 pubmed..Further studies are needed to develop a reliable and reproducible assay to elucidate the potential contribution of hepcidin to hyporesponsiveness during erythropoietin therapy. ..
- Malyszko J, Koc Zorawska E, Zórawski M, Kozminski P, Zbroch E, Rysz J, et al. Renalase is removed by kidneys and during dialysis - excess related to CKD complications?. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2015;13:134-40 pubmed..Kidneys eliminate renalase and it is possible that the increased renalase has the impact on cardiovascular diseases in chronic kidney disease. ..
- Kobus G, Piotrowska J, Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Malyszko J. Attitudes of members of the Baptist Church toward organ transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2014;46:2487-91 pubmed publisher..Propagation of knowledge of transplantation is the only effective method of increasing the number of organ transplantations, because many ethical, social, and religious barriers in the society result from insufficient education. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Koc Zorawska E, Kozminski P, Mysliwiec M. Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in dialyzed patients is related to residual renal function, type of renal replacement therapy and inflammation. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2009;32:464-9 pubmed publisher..Low-grade inflammation, more pronounced in anuric patients may also contribute to elevated NGAL. Removal of NGAL with ultrafiltrate may also partially explain its lower concentration after dialysis. ..
- Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Sitniewska E, Malyszko J, Poniatowski B, Dobrzycki S. Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of renal function in non-diabetic patients with stage 2-4 chronic kidney disease. Ren Fail. 2008;30:625-8 pubmed publisher..NGAL should be investigated as a potential early and sensitive marker of kidney impairment/injury. ..
- Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Dobrzycki S. Biomarkers of Contrast-Induced Nephropathy: Which Ones and What Is Their Clinical Relevance?. Interv Cardiol Clin. 2014;3:379-391 pubmed publisher..In this article new, emerging biomarkers of contrast-induced AKI are presented and described, of which serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin appears to be the most promising. ..
- MaÅ‚yszko J, KozÅ‚owska K, MaÅ‚yszko J. Amyloidosis: A cancer-derived paraproteinemia and kidney involvement. Adv Med Sci. 2017;62:31-38 pubmed publisher..Treatment of amyloidosis is aimed at decreasing the precursors of fibrillary proteins and/or decrease in synthesis/deposition of amyloid fibrils. It depends upon the type of amyloidosis and cause of excess fibril production. ..
- Malyszko J. Mechanism of endothelial dysfunction in chronic kidney disease. Clin Chim Acta. 2010;411:1412-20 pubmed publisher..In this review paper mechanism of endothelial dysfunction, including the role of nitric oxide pathway, adipocytokines and hemodialysis-induced endothelial dysfunction is discussed. ..
- Kobus G, Malyszko J, Małyszko J. Do Age and Religion Have an Impact on the Attitude to Organ Transplantation?. Transplant Proc. 2016;48:1354-9 pubmed publisher..045). Age and religion have a considerable influence on positive attitudes toward transplantation. The majority of younger people, as well as Catholics, approve of the removal of organs from living donors and from dead donors. ..
- Malyszko J, Koc Zorawska E, Kozminski P, Malyszko J. Vascular adhesion protein-1 in hemodialysis and hemodiafiltration patients: effect of single hemodialysis session on its level in regard to type of anticoagulant. Int Urol Nephrol. 2017;49:875-879 pubmed publisher..Type of heparin seems to have no effect on VAP-1 levels in hemodialyzed patients. However, the cross-sectional but not prospective design is a limitation of this study. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Mysliwiec M. Resistin, a new adipokine, is related to inflammation and renal function in kidney allograft recipients. Transplant Proc. 2006;38:3434-6 pubmed..The relation of elevated resistin levels to markers of inflammation may represent a novel link between these conditions and adipocytokines. Renal function was a major determinant of elevated resistin in kidney allograft recipients. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Kozminski P, Pawlak K, Mysliwiec M. Adipokines, linking adipocytes and vascular function in hemodialyzed patients, may also be possibly related to CD146, a novel adhesion molecule. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2008;14:338-45 pubmed..The data provide further support for a link between adipocytokines, endothelial dysfunction, cardiovascular risk, and renal failure. ..
- Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Dobrzycki S. Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of renal function in hypertensive and normotensive patients with coronary artery disease. Nephrology (Carlton). 2008;13:153-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NGAL needs to be investigated as a potential early marker for impaired kidney function/kidney injury, especially in patients with another risk factor for kidney damage, namely coronary artery disease. ..
- Lukaszyk E, Lukaszyk M, Koc Zorawska E, Bodzenta Lukaszyk A, Malyszko J. Zonulin, inflammation and iron status in patients with early stages of chronic kidney disease. Int Urol Nephrol. 2018;50:121-125 pubmed publisher..Zonulin cannot be considered as an inflammatory marker in CKD. It does not play a role in the disturbances of iron metabolism in CKD. Its physiological role remains to be elucidated. ..
- Michniewicz E, Mlodawska E, Lopatowska P, Tomaszuk Kazberuk A, Malyszko J. Patients with atrial fibrillation and coronary artery disease - Double trouble. Adv Med Sci. 2018;63:30-35 pubmed publisher..In addition, major bleeding is associated with an up to 5-fold increased risk of death following an acute coronary syndrome. Coexistence of AF and CAD worsens the prognosis even in carefully treated patients. ..
- Małyszko J, Małyszko J, Hryszko T, Myśliwiec M. Thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI) and markers of endothelial cell injury in dialyzed patients with diabetic nephropathy. Thromb Haemost. 2004;91:480-6 pubmed..In these patients there is also evidence of endothelial injury, and probably secondary activation of the coagulation cascade. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Wolczynski S, Mysliwiec M. Apelin, a novel adipocytokine, in relation to endothelial function and inflammation in kidney allograft recipients. Transplant Proc. 2008;40:3466-9 pubmed publisher..Apelin and other adipocytokines may be associated with inflammation and its clinical consequences. ..
- Malyszko J. Hemojuvelin: the hepcidin story continues. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2009;32:71-6 pubmed publisher..still remain unanswered: What is the functional role of HJV in iron metabolism? How it is related to hepcidin expression in different settings? How do iron-sensing and inflammatory pathways cooperate in hepcidin gene expression? ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Mysliwiec M. Visfatin and endothelial function in dialyzed patients. Nephrology (Carlton). 2010;15:190-6 pubmed publisher..Time on dialyses and dialysis adequacy may influence visfatin in dialyzed patients due to the decreased clearance of visfatin. ..
- Malyszko J, Bachorzewska Gajewska H, Poniatowski B, Malyszko J, Dobrzycki S. Urinary and serum biomarkers after cardiac catheterization in diabetic patients with stable angina and without severe chronic kidney disease. Ren Fail. 2009;31:910-9 pubmed publisher..NGAL seems to be a potential early marker for nephrotoxicity and predictor of contrast nephropathy. It is particularly important in the upcoming setting of short-time hospitalizations for cardiac catheterization. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Drozdowska Rams L, Brzosko S, Mysliwiec M. Hepcidin is linked to anemia and inflammation in peritoneal dialysis patients. Perit Dial Int. 2008;28:418-21 pubmed
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Mysliwiec M. Markers of endothelial cell injury and thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor in nephrotic syndrome. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2002;13:615-21 pubmed..Protein Z deficiency might also contribute to the enhanced risk of thromboembolic complications in nephrotic syndrome. ..
- Małyszko J, Małyszko J, Pawlak K, Wołczyński S, Mysliwiec M. Tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase 5b and its correlations with other markers of bone metabolism in kidney transplant recipients and dialyzed patients. Adv Med Sci. 2006;51:69-72 pubmed..TRAP 5b did not correlate with BMD in any groups studied. Since TRAP 5b correlated mainly with markers of bone resorption, it may serve as a new additional marker of bone resorption in the assessment of renal osteodystrophy. ..
- Malyszko J, Zbroch E, Malyszko J, Koc Zorawska E, Mysliwiec M. Renalase, a novel regulator of blood pressure, is predicted by kidney function in renal transplant recipients. Transplant Proc. 2011;43:3004-7 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to establish its putative role in the pathogenesis of hypertension after transplantation and possible novel targeted therapies. ..
- Malyszko J, Malyszko J, Pawlak K, Mysliwiec M. Hepcidin, iron status, and renal function in chronic renal failure, kidney transplantation, and hemodialysis. Am J Hematol. 2006;81:832-7 pubmed..Elevated hepcidin in all groups of patients studied may be due to low grade inflammation, frequently encountered in this population and mainly to impaired renal function. ..