Affiliation: Medical University of Warsaw
- Botulinum toxin for treatment of parkinsonian sialorrheaA Friedman
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Neurol Neurochir Pol 35:23-7. 2001..Most of the medications used for the treatment of it are ineffective. We decided to try in such patients local injections of botulinum toxin, type A, into both parotid glands...
- Iron as a cause of Parkinson disease - a myth or a well established hypothesis?Andrzej Friedman
Department of Neurology, Medical University in Warsaw, Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:S212-4. 2009..This finding corresponds well to a decrease of L-ferritin concentration in parkinsonian SN and also to a difference of the size of iron core of ferritin between PD and control SN. The significance of these finding will be discussed...
- Paroxysmal non-kinesigenic dyskinesia caused by the mutation of MR-1 in a large Polish kindredAndrzej Friedman
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Health Science, Medical University in Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Eur Neurol 61:39-41. 2009..In addition, at the age of 55 years, she developed symptoms of Parkinson's disease with good response to levodopa treatment...
- [Are dopamine agonists alternative therapy for levodopa in early stage of Parkinson's disease? No]Andrzej Friedman
Katedra i Klinika Neurologii Wydziału Nauki o Zdrowiu, Akademia Medyczna w Warszawie
Neurol Neurochir Pol 41:S10-3. 2007..Therefore the treatment of Parkinson's disease should be started with levodopa...
- Iron and ferritin in hippocampal cortex and substantia nigra in human brain--implications for the possible role of iron in dementiaAndrzej Friedman
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
J Neurol Sci 248:31-4. 2006..The size of the average iron core in Hip was assessed to be about 3.1 nm and about 3.7 nm in SN. These results may point to different iron metabolism in these areas, suggesting faster iron turnover in Hip...
- Ferritin as an important player in neurodegenerationAndrzej Friedman
Department of Neurology, Medical University in Warsaw, ul Kondratowicza 8, 03 242 Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:423-30. 2011..We discuss the importance of the ratio H/L ferritin and its changes in neurodegeneration...
- Quality of life in Polish patients with long-lasting Parkinson's diseaseMarcin Zach
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Mov Disord 19:667-72. 2004..Duration of the disease and expenses related to the treatment also have a significant impact on the QoL. Patient's age and presence of dyskinesia seem to be irrelevant to the quality of life...
- ELISA reveals a difference in the structure of substantia nigra ferritin in Parkinson's disease and incidental Lewy body compared to controlDariusz Koziorowski
Department of Neurology, The Medical University in Warsaw, ul Kondratowicza 8, 03 242 Warsaw, Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 13:214-8. 2007..9+/-87.7) and control (374.8+/-169.3). The decrease of L ferritin in SN in PD and ILB may suggest that the whole process of neurodegeneration starts with a higher availability of free iron, which is released from the ferritin shell...
- A family with paroxysmal nonkinesigenic dyskinesia: genetic and treatment issuesKrzysztof Szczałuba
Department of Medical Genetics, Institute of Mother and Child, Faculty of Health Science, Medical University in Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Pediatr Neurol 41:135-8. 2009..Favorable response to levetiracetam is probably linked to action of the drug on calcium channels in neurons, muscle cells, or both...
- Levodopa "drug holiday" with amantadine infusions as a treatment of complications in Parkinson's diseaseDariusz Koziorowski
Department of Neurology, The Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Mov Disord 22:1033-6. 2007..The improvement after therapy was maintained up to 4 month. The levodopa "drug holidays" with amantadine infusion is a valuable option in the therapy of advanced stages of PD...
- Controlling sialorrhoea: a review of available treatment optionsAnna Potulska
Medical University, Warsaw, Department of Neurology, Poland
Expert Opin Pharmacother 6:1551-4. 2005..However, some cases of sialorrhoea are due to hypersecretion of saliva. These cases represent so-called primary sialorrhoea...
- Low frequency of the PARK2 gene mutations in Polish patients with the early-onset form of Parkinson diseaseDariusz Koziorowski
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Heath Science, Medical University of Warsaw, Kondratowicza 8, 03 242 Warsaw, Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:136-8. 2010..Although the frequency of the PARK2 mutations in EO-PD patients according to several studies is high and has been reported in up to 50% in familial and 19% in sporadic cases, these data remain controversial...
- Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's diseaseAnna Potulska
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Warsaw, ul. Banacha 1a, 02-097 Warsaw, Poland
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 9:349-53. 2003..In the remaining five cases swallowing impairment was subclinical and it consisted of decreased dysphagia limit and prolongation of the esophageal phase. Dysphagia at the subclinical level may be one of the early symptoms of PD...
- MÃ¶ssbauer spectroscopy and ELISA studies reveal differences between Parkinson's disease and control substantia nigraJolanta Galazka-Friedman
Faculty of Physics, Warsaw University of Technology, 00-662 Warsaw, Koszykowa 75, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1688:130-6. 2004..Iron released from ferritin or neuromelanin (NM) may be the source of such iron, which may cause the difference in the MÃ¶ssbauer spectra and may trigger oxidative stress leading to cell death...
- [Consensus regarding indications for surgical treatment of Parkinson disease]Andrzej Friedman
Neurol Neurochir Pol 37:11-7. 2003....
- Nonverbal deficits in explicit and implicit memory of Parkinson's disease patientsLudwika Gawrys
Laboratory for Molecular Neurobiology, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Pasteura 3, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 68:58-72. 2008..Interestingly, such a correlation was found in the case of MR and words pairs tasks, which did not distinguish PD patients from control group...
- [Deep brain stimulation and motor cortex and spinal cord stimulation in the treatment of movement disorders and pain syndromes -- the theoretical baseline and practical guidelines]Mirosław Zabek
Oddział Neurochirurgii Czynnościowej i Chorób Układu Pozapiramidowego, Klinika Neurochirurgii, Akademia Medyczna, ul Debinki 7, 80 211 Gdansk
Neurol Neurochir Pol 40:1-9. 2006..Suggested selection criteria are based on experience of different centers and on current medical literature. They are published to make the procedure more rational and more available in Poland...
- [Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's disease]Anna Potulska
Klinika Neurologii Akademii Medycznej w Warszawie
Neurol Neurochir Pol 36:449-56. 2002..Dysphagia was observed in all studied patients, although only 8 of them complained about it. In other 3 cases the impairment of swallowing was subclinical and it was connected with prolongation of oesophageal phase...
- [Dopa-responsive dystonia (Segawa variant): clinical analysis of 7 cases with delayed diagnosis]Jarosław Sławek
Klinika Neurochirurgii Oddział Neurochirurgii Czynnościowej i Chorób Układu Pozapiramidowego, Akademia Medyczna w Gdansku
Neurol Neurochir Pol 37:117-26. 2003..The take home message from literature and presented material should be not age dependent clinical trial with levodopa therapy in all cases of dystonia starting in extremities...