M S Petrov
- Singh R, Pendharkar S, Plank L, Petrov M. Role of human lipocalin proteins in abdominal obesity after acute pancreatitis. Peptides. 2017;91:1-7 pubmed publisher....
- Yang C, Chen J, Phillips A, Windsor J, Petrov M. Predictors of severe and critical acute pancreatitis: a systematic review. Dig Liver Dis. 2014;46:446-51 pubmed publisher..There is no predictor of persistent organ failure that can be justifiably used in clinical practice within 48h of admission. ..
- Pendharkar S, Mathew J, Petrov M. Age- and sex-specific prevalence of diabetes associated with diseases of the exocrine pancreas: A population-based study. Dig Liver Dis. 2017;49:540-544 pubmed publisher..Three out of five DP cases develop after acute pancreatitis. There is a variation in age of onset of DP, with the working and ageing population most affected. Men have a 40% higher risk of developing DP than women. ..
- Goodger R, Asrani V, Windsor J, Petrov M. Impact of metabolic comorbidities on outcomes of patients with acute pancreatitis: a scoping review. Panminerva Med. 2016;58:86-93 pubmed..This scoping review aims to map published clinical studies that have investigated the impact of metabolic comorbidities on outcomes in patients with acute pancreatitis. ..
- Wu L, Premkumar R, Phillips A, Windsor J, Petrov M. Ghrelin and gastroparesis as early predictors of clinical outcomes inÂ acute pancreatitis. Pancreatology. 2016;16:181-8 pubmed publisher..Ghrelin, when combined with the Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index, may further improve the predictive accuracy. These findings need to be confirmed in larger studies. ..
- Gillies N, Pendharkar S, Singh R, Asrani V, Petrov M. Lipid metabolism in patients with chronic hyperglycemia after an episode of acute pancreatitis. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2017;11 Suppl 1:S233-S241 pubmed publisher....
- Singh R, Pendharkar S, Gillies N, Miranda Soberanis V, Plank L, Petrov M. Associations between circulating levels of adipocytokines and abdominal adiposity in patients after acute pancreatitis. Clin Exp Med. 2017;17:477-487 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that excess abdominal adiposity favours pro-inflammatory milieu in AP patients after hospital discharge, independent of diabetes and effect of other covariates. ..
- Gillies N, Pendharkar S, Asrani V, Mathew J, Windsor J, Petrov M. Interleukin-6 is associated with chronic hyperglycemia and insulin resistance in patients after acute pancreatitis. Pancreatology. 2016;16:748-55 pubmed publisher..It may become a potential target in the prevention and early treatment of diabetes after diseases of the exocrine pancreas. ..
- Pendharkar S, Singh R, Chand S, Cervantes A, Petrov M. Pro-inflammatory cytokines after an episode of acute pancreatitis: associations with fasting gut hormone profile. Inflamm Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..These findings advance the understanding of mechanisms underlying diabetes of the exocrine pancreas and have translational implications. ..
- Petrov M, van Santvoort H, Besselink M, van der Heijden G, van Erpecum K, Gooszen H. Early endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography versus conservative management in acute biliary pancreatitis without cholangitis: a meta-analysis of randomized trials. Ann Surg. 2008;247:250-7 pubmed publisher..20-8.06; P = 0.80). In this meta-analysis, early ERCP in patients with predicted mild and predicted severe ABP without acute cholangitis did not lead to a significant reduction in the risk of overall complications and mortality. ..
- Jivanji C, Soo D, Petrov M. Towards reducing the risk of new onset diabetes after pancreatitis. Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol. 2017;63:270-284 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the PERSEUS score and other evidence that may inform the development of guidelines on reducing the burden of PPDM. ..
- Bevan M, Asrani V, Bharmal S, Wu L, Windsor J, Petrov M. Incidence and predictors of oral feeding intolerance in acute pancreatitis: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. Clin Nutr. 2017;36:722-729 pubmed publisher..Serum lipase levels of more than 2.5 times the upper limit of normal prior to refeeding is a potentially useful threshold to identify patients at high risk of developing oral feeding intolerance. ..
- Pendharkar S, Asrani V, Xiao A, Yoon H, Murphy R, Windsor J, et al. Relationship between pancreatic hormones and glucose metabolism: A cross-sectional study in patients after acute pancreatitis. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2016;311:G50-8 pubmed publisher....
- Petrov M, Shanbhag S, Chakraborty M, Phillips A, Windsor J. Organ failure and infection of pancreatic necrosis as determinants of mortality in patients with acute pancreatitis. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:813-20 pubmed publisher..The relative risk of mortality doubles when OF and IPN are both present and indicates extremely severe disease or critical acute pancreatitis. ..
- Singh R, Yoon H, Wu L, Lu J, Plank L, Petrov M. Ectopic fat accumulation in the pancreas and its clinical relevance: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression. Metabolism. 2017;69:1-13 pubmed publisher..The normal pancreatic fat cut-off point of 6.2% may be recommended for use in future prospective studies. ..
- Petrov M, Savides T. Systematic review of endoscopic ultrasonography versus endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography for suspected choledocholithiasis. Br J Surg. 2009;96:967-74 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to perform a systematic review of all randomized controlled trials of EUS-guided ERCP versus ERCP alone in patients with suspected choledocholithiasis...
- Soo D, Pendharkar S, Jivanji C, Gillies N, Windsor J, Petrov M. Derivation and validation of the prediabetes self-assessment screening score after acute pancreatitis (PERSEUS). Dig Liver Dis. 2017;49:1146-1154 pubmed publisher..The developed and validated score, called PERSEUS, is the first instrument to identify individuals who are at high risk of developing abnormal glucose metabolism following an episode of acute pancreatitis. ..
- Xiao A, Tan M, Wu L, Asrani V, Windsor J, Yadav D, et al. Global incidence and mortality of pancreatic diseases: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression of population-based cohort studies. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;1:45-55 pubmed publisher..However, their burden is not equal across the globe. The epidemiological estimates reported in this study could inform future high-quality studies. None. ..
- Pendharkar S, Singh R, Petrov M. Cross-talk between innate cytokines and the pancreatic polypeptide family in acute pancreatitis. Cytokine. 2017;90:161-168 pubmed publisher..Future research is warranted to investigate the signaling pathways that underlie these associations. ..
- Korc M, Jeon C, Edderkaoui M, Pandol S, Petrov M. Tobacco and alcohol as risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2017;31:529-536 pubmed publisher....
- Chand S, Singh R, Pendharkar S, Bharmal S, Petrov M. Interplay between innate immunity and iron metabolism after acute pancreatitis. Cytokine. 2018;103:90-98 pubmed publisher..The interplay between LBP, IL-6, hepcidin, and ferritin characterizes metabolic derangements after acute pancreatitis and may play a role in the pathogenesis of new-onset diabetes after pancreatitis. ..
- Bharmal S, Pendharkar S, Singh R, Goodarzi M, Pandol S, Petrov M. Relationship between circulating levels of pancreatic proteolytic enzymes and pancreatic hormones. Pancreatology. 2017;17:876-883 pubmed publisher..In particular, chymotrypsin is increased in the state of hyperinsulinemia and trypsin is significantly associated with glucagon and pancreatic polypeptide. ..
- Chand S, Singh R, Pendharkar S, Petrov M. Iron: a Strong Element in the Pathogenesis of Chronic Hyperglycaemia After Acute Pancreatitis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2017;: pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that iron metabolism is significantly altered in individuals with chronic hyperglycaemia after acute pancreatitis and may provide better insights into the pathogenesis of new-onset diabetes after pancreatitis. ..
- Petrov M. Diabetes of the exocrine pancreas: American Diabetes Association-compliant lexicon. Pancreatology. 2017;17:523-526 pubmed publisher....
- Jivanji C, Asrani V, Windsor J, Petrov M. New-Onset Diabetes After Acute and Critical Illness: A Systematic Review. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92:762-773 pubmed publisher..Patients with severe hyperglycemia are at the highest risk, with 28% developing diabetes after hospital discharge. ..
- Stigliano S, Sternby H, de Madaria E, Capurso G, Petrov M. Early management of acute pancreatitis: A review of the best evidence. Dig Liver Dis. 2017;49:585-594 pubmed publisher....
- Alsamarrai A, Das S, Windsor J, Petrov M. Factors that affect risk for pancreatic disease in the general population: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;12:1635-44.e5; quiz e103 pubmed publisher..Vegetables and fruit consumption are associated with reduced risk for pancreatic diseases. Prevention strategies for acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, and pancreatic cancer should consider these factors. ..
- Pendharkar S, Plank L, Windsor J, Petrov M. Quality of Life in a Randomized Trial of Nasogastric Tube Feeding in Acute Pancreatitis. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2016;40:693-8 pubmed publisher..This study aims to compare quality of life between nasogastric tube feeding and nil-by-mouth groups during and after hospitalization...
- Sankaran S, Xiao A, Wu L, Windsor J, FORSMARK C, Petrov M. Frequency of progression from acute to chronic pancreatitis and risk factors: a meta-analysis. Gastroenterology. 2015;149:1490-1500.e1 pubmed publisher..Ten percent of patients with a first episode of AP and 36% of patients with recurrent AP develop CP; the risk is higher among smokers, alcoholics, and men. Prospective clinical studies are needed to study pancreatitis progression. ..
- Jivanji C, Asrani V, Pendharkar S, Bevan M, Gillies N, Soo D, et al. Glucose Variability Measures as Predictors of Oral Feeding Intolerance in Acute Pancreatitis: A Prospective Pilot Study. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1334-1345 pubmed publisher..In-hospital blood glucose concentrations are associated with subsequent development of OFI in patients with AP. In particular, admission blood glucose and mean blood glucose could be useful predictors of OFI in this setting. ..