Affiliation: Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos
- Metaanalysis of urine screening tests for determining the risk of urinary tract infection in childrenLuis Huicho
Department of Pediatrics, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:1-11, 88. 2002
- National and sub-national under-five mortality profiles in Peru: a basis for informed policy decisionsLuis Huicho
Department of Paediatrics, School of Medicine, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos and Instituto de Salud del Niño, LI 05, Lima, Peru
BMC Public Health 6:173. 2006..Global level data have been published, but information at country level is scarce. We aimed at defining national and departmental trends and profiles of under-five mortality in Peru from 1996 through 2000...
- Cardiopulmonary pathology among children resident at high altitude in Tintaya, Peru: a cross-sectional studyLuis Huicho
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
High Alt Med Biol 7:168-79. 2006..Our findings are applicable to children with some degree of high altitude genetic background and high mobility patterns to lower altitudes and living in comparatively good nutritional and socioeconomic conditions...
- Implementation of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness strategy in Peru and its association with health indicators: an ecological analysisLuis Huicho
Batallón Libres de Trujillo 227, Surco, LI 33 Lima, Peru
Health Policy Plan 20:i32-i41. 2005..Nevertheless, even districts with high levels of training coverage failed to show an impact. Further national effectiveness studies of IMCI and other child interventions are warranted as these interventions are scaled up...
- Cross-sectional study of echocardiographic characteristics in healthy children living at high altitudeLuis Huicho
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Am J Hum Biol 17:704-17. 2005..The results can be used as reference values to interpret individual echocardiographic studies in comparable children living in similar settings...
- Scaling up integrated management of childhood illness to the national level: achievements and challenges in PeruLuis Huicho
Instituto de Salud del Niño and Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Health Policy Plan 20:14-24. 2005..The Ministry of Health in Peru is now working to address these weaknesses; other countries working to achieve high and equitable coverage with essential child survival interventions can learn from their experience...
- Stated preferences of doctors for choosing a job in rural areas of Peru: a discrete choice experimentJ Jaime Miranda
CRONICAS Centre of Excellence in Chronic Diseases, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 7:e50567. 2012..Doctors' scarcity in rural areas remains a serious problem in Latin America and Peru. Few studies have explored job preferences of doctors working in underserved areas. We aimed to investigate doctors' stated preferences for rural jobs...
- Mortality profiles in a country facing epidemiological transition: an analysis of registered dataLuis Huicho
Department of Paediatrics, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
BMC Public Health 9:47. 2009..There are no studies exploring Peruvian national and regional characteristics of such epidemiological transition. We aimed to describe Peru's national and regional mortality profiles between 1996 and 2000...
- Abnormal energy regulation in early life: childhood gene expression may predict subsequent chronic mountain sicknessLuis Huicho
Departament of Paediatrics, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, and Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, Peru
BMC Pediatr 8:47. 2008..We assessed distinct patterns of gene expression of hypoxia-responsive genes in children of highland Andean men, with and without CMS...
- Effect of acetazolamide on ventilatory response in subjects with chronic mountain sicknessMaria Rivera-Ch
Departamento de Ciencias Biológicas y Fisiológicas, Facultad de Ciencias y Filosofia, Instituto de Investigaciones de Altura, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Av Honorio Delgado 430, Lima 31, Peru
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 162:184-9. 2008..There were no differences between the two doses used. ACZ administration provides a beneficial effect on respiratory function of high altitude natives with CMS and thus it can be an effective therapy for the disease...
- Evaluation of interventions on road traffic injuries in Peru: a qualitative approachLuis Huicho
Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Av, Honorio Delgado 430, Lima LI31, Peru
BMC Public Health 12:71. 2012..We report here how we used a qualitative approach to assess current interventions implemented to reduce RTIs in Peru...
- Cross-sectional study of electrocardiographic pattern in healthy children resident at high altitudeLuis Huicho
Department of Pediatrics, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima 05, Peru
Am J Phys Anthropol 133:879-86. 2007..Our study showed an electrocardiographic pattern similar to that of sea level in high altitude children with some degree of high-altitude ancestry, comparatively well-nourished and with relatively high mobility to low altitudes...
- Job preferences of nurses and midwives for taking up a rural job in Peru: a discrete choice experimentLuis Huicho
School of Medicine, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
PLoS ONE 7:e50315. 2012..Robust evidence on interventions to improve the shortage of health workers in rural areas is needed. We assessed stated factors that would attract short-term contract nurses and midwives to work in a rural area of Peru...
- [Fecal leukocytes in children with acute diarrhea: time to reconsider the clinical usefulness of the test?]Nilton Yhuri Carreazo
Critical Appraisal Skills Programme Perú, Escuela de Medicina, Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas, Unidad de Terapia Intensiva Pediátrica, Hospital de Emergencias Pediátricas, Lima, Peru
Rev Gastroenterol Peru 31:216-23. 2011..We aimed to assess the diagnostic performance of different thresholds of fecal leukocytes in children under-five with acute diarrhea...
- Accuracy of clinical pallor in the diagnosis of anaemia in children: a meta-analysisJuan P Chalco
Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, LI 05, Peru
BMC Pediatr 5:46. 2005..Palmar pallor is recommended at primary level for diagnosing it, on the basis of few studies. The objective of the study was to systematically assess the accuracy of clinical signs in the diagnosis of anaemia in children...
- Norovirus prevalence in 'pathogen negative' gastroenteritis in children from periurban areas in Lima, PeruFulton P Rivera
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:734-6. 2011..The role of norovirus as a cause of diarrhoea and the ascertainment of its severity in developing countries needs further confirmation by future epidemiological studies...
- [Incentives to attract and retain the health workforce in rural areas of Peru: a qualitative study]Luis Huicho
Facultad de Medicina Alberto Hurtado, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Cad Saude Publica 28:729-39. 2012..However, there are also singularities to be considered when designing specific strategies. Public initiatives thus need to be monitored and evaluated closely in order to ensure the intended impact...
- Treatment of chronic mountain sickness: critical reappraisal of an old problemMaria Rivera-Ch
Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Facultad de Ciencias y Filosofia, Instituto de Investigaciones de Altura, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Av Honorio Delgado 430, Lima LI 31, Peru
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 158:251-65. 2007..Closing remarks on the need of taking increasingly into account the development and implementation of preventive measures are made...
- How much does quality of child care vary between health workers with differing durations of training? An observational multicountry studyLuis Huicho
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia and Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, Peru, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 372:910-6. 2008..We compared the performance of different categories of health workers who are trained in Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI)...
- [Use of a rapid rotavirus test in prescription of antibiotics in acute diarrhea in pediatrics: an observational, randomized, controlled study]Andrea Bucher
Pediatra, ex Residente del Hospital Nacional Arzobispo Loayza, Lima, Peru
Rev Gastroenterol Peru 32:11-5. 2012....
- Audit of therapeutic interventions in inpatient children using two scores: are they evidence-based in developing countries?Nilton Y Carreazo
Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos and Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, LI 05, Peru
BMC Health Serv Res 4:40. 2004..We performed this study to determine the proportion of evidence-based therapeutic interventions in a paediatric referral hospital of a developing country..
- Postnatal cardiopulmonary adaptations to high altitudeLuis Huicho
Departamento Académico de Pediatría, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Lima, Peru
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 158:190-203. 2007..Finally, plausibility and the knowledge-base of public health interventions to reduce the risks posed by suboptimal or inadequate postnatal cardiopulmonary responses to high altitude are discussed...
- Inter-observer agreement in interpreting chest X-rays on children with acute lower respiratory tract infections and concurrent wheezingCarlos Bada
Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, Peru
Sao Paulo Med J 125:150-4. 2007..A chest x-ray is often requested to rule out pneumonia. We assessed inter-observer agreement in interpreting x-rays on such children. DESIGNS AND SETTING: Prospective consecutive case study at Instituto de Salud del Niño, Lima, Peru...
- Fecal leukocytes in children infected with diarrheagenic Escherichia coliErik H Mercado
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
J Clin Microbiol 49:1376-81. 2011....
- Increasing access to health workers in underserved areas: a conceptual framework for measuring resultsLuis Huicho
Department of Paediatrics, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru
Bull World Health Organ 88:357-63. 2010..The framework is not intended to be prescriptive and can be applied flexibly to each country context. It promotes the use of a common understanding on how attraction and retention interventions work, using a systems perspective...
- [Assessment of the structure, dynamics and monitoring of information systems for road traffic injuries in Peru--2009]J Jaime Miranda
Programa de Investigación en Accidentes de Tránsito, Salud Sin Límites Perú, Lima, Peru
Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 27:273-87. 2010..A baseline assessment of the structure, dynamics, and monitoring capabilities of the information systems for road traffic injuries was conducted in three Peruvian cities: Lima, Huamanga and Pucallpa...
- Context matters: interpreting impact findings in child survival evaluationsCesar G Victora
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, CP 464, Pelotas RS 96001, Brazil
Health Policy Plan 20:i18-i31. 2005..Two case studies - from Tanzania and Peru - show how appropriate consideration of contextual factors may help explain apparently conflicting evaluation results...
- Adaptation and mal-adaptation to ambient hypoxia; Andean, Ethiopian and Himalayan patternsGuoqiang Xing
Department of Psychiatry, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e2342. 2008....